What did you do to your TJ today?

I know that. Painting a set of already smooth Sahara flares would be easier, IMO I'm not painter, than a set of textured black ones. And he can find already painted black ones like he said.

Painting any flares is easy. If he wants black, he can buy stock flares and not paint them.

Reactions: reddvltj
Painting any flares is easy.

I agree, but it does take some diligence to do it right. I did mine about three months ago, and described my process (which really wasn't "my" process - it was arrived at from researching many posts on this great forum) in this thread, Post #51,549. The photo in that post is immediately after spraying, while the 1k Matte Clear was still drying. Once dry, they look very nice, as shown in my follow-up Post #51,611. I think I spent about 6-8 hours start to finish.

I agree, but it does take some diligence to do it right. I did mine about three months ago, and described my process (which really wasn't "my" process - it was arrived at from researching many posts on this great forum) in this thread, Post #51,549. The photo in that post is immediately after spraying, while the 1k Matte Clear was still drying. Once dry, they look very nice, as shown in my follow-up Post #51,611. I think I spent about 6-8 hours start to finish.

I always used Krylon fusion on mine. Wipe clean with rubbing alcohol, slide thin sheets of cardboard behind them and spray. Done.
RED 98.jpg

Took the eldest to breakfast before dropping her at school then grabbed antifreeze from MallMart.

Flused the flush agent out with distilled water and filled the cooling system with fresh 50/50 mix. No runs drips or errors. When the wife lays down in a bit to rest before work in going to change transmission fluid and filter and install the new, not rusted to shiat, transmission pan.

Realized I don't have low or 2 speeds on the heater fan this morning and the windshield washer pump isn't working either so I might look into one of those this evening.

Took the eldest to breakfast before dropping her at school then grabbed antifreeze from MallMart.

Flused the flush agent out with distilled water and filled the cooling system with fresh 50/50 mix. No runs drips or errors. When the wife lays down in a bit to rest before work in going to change transmission fluid and filter and install the new, not rusted to shiat, transmission pan.

Realized I don't have low or 2 speeds on the heater fan this morning and the windshield washer pump isn't working either so I might look into one of those this evening.

God that blower motor resistor is in the worst place. My hands were way too big for that job. It's like breaking a rusty bolt off without breaking a bolt off.

You may have a handy person with a little tiny hand.

97ece8f69004497706f389ecdfb84d47.jpg

View attachment 530789DYI cold air intake -xj sourced air box. - Moved the windshield washer bottle, shorten up the air intake. Been a few tweaks since this picture but this is the gist of it. Cross section of the factory air tube for reference -it’s now 3” to the throttle body.

View attachment 530790

whole layout moving things around looks pretty factory (y) nice clean job.

I went to Gv in Grand Rapids. SL Sand dunes are always a blast. My profile pic was my 4 banger manual on top of test hill last year LOL

I would assume the jeeping community there would be a blast but I tend to avoid large get togethers.

Silver lake just had a collision death on memorial weekend, jeep went off track on acceleration towards a mother and child.. mother managed to push the kid out of harms way but the mother was hit and killed (if you havent seen it in the news) sad story and probably a 1 in a million or so chance of occurring to anyone.
IMG_6320.png

I dont tend to get on the trails around MI much either. Still have something going on with my back causing tailbone pain while sitting after about a hour. Additionally the side by sides riding on the trails.. the speeds and extensive trail damage make putzing around less fun. Have had 2 near head on collisions with them drifting blind corners to date. To each they're own though, its their hobby. majority of the trails over the past year have gone from smooth grade to endless washboard & tight corners are cut deep slopes perfect for drifting.

Last edited:
I would assume the jeeping community there would be a blast but I tend to avoid large get togethers.

Silver lake just had a collision death on memorial weekend, jeep went off track on acceleration towards a mother and child.. mother managed to push the kid out of harms way but the mother was hit and killed (if you havent seen it in the news) sad story and probably a 1 in a million or so chance of occurring to anyone.
View attachment 531321

I dont tend to get on the trails around MI much either. Still have something going on with my back causing tailbone pain while sitting after about a hour. Additionally the side by sides riding on the trails.. the speeds and extensive trail damage make putzing around less fun. Have had 2 near head on collisions with them drifting blind corners to date. To each they're own though, its their hobby. majority of the trails over the past year have gone from smooth grade to endless washboard & tight corners are cut deep slopes perfect for drifting.

I just found out one of my buddies was actually right next to it when it happened… was the first guy there trying to push the jeep off her.