What did you do to your TJ today?

View attachment 533457

Roadside repairs. Started getting a P0016 on the drive to swap some bumpers.

Looks like when the PO swapped engines they didn't tighten the oil pump drive retaining bolt and it turned enough to start kicking the code. I twisted it back up to ~4 o'clock and no more code for the remainder of the drive. Gonna snug it down after supper.

Gotta love those road side repairs!!

What’s your plan for taking care of the surface rust?

I bought a special pad that fits to my grinder for taking off surface rust.... used it on other things and does the job well... then some primer and top coat.
I think I have some CRC zinc based black or Rustoleum works great too.

@Zorba I got these holes drilled today. Thanks for the tip.

IMG_8954.jpg

Flush the shit out of them, then prime and paint. Nice job - far better looking than my hack job.

Thanks. I'm going to drill some holes near the lower control arms (4 more holes in total), and I have to do a bit of rust mitigation on the bottom side of the frame where the skid plate rests against the frame. I have just a bit of surface rust there. I'm going to get that cleaned up and then prime and paint all of these places.

Any recs for primer and paint?

Reactions: TerryD
I finally hung my hardtop hoist, and my door hanger, and put them to use. Then mounted my doors-off mirrors. All stuff I’ve had for over a year but couldn’t drive it last summer so didn’t bother setting it all up.
Now in summer mode - the fam got ready for a maiden voyage … and the sky opened up with rain just a few seconds after this pic. 😭 Back in the barn she goes!
Soon enough … at least now it’s ready to rock!

IMG_1517.jpeg

Thanks. I'm going to drill some holes near the lower control arms (4 more holes in total), and I have to do a bit of rust mitigation on the bottom side of the frame where the skid plate rests against the frame. I have just a bit of surface rust there. I'm going to get that cleaned up and then prime and paint all of these places.

Any recs for primer and paint?

RustOleum "Red-Lead" Rusty Metal Primer, topcoated with RustOleum black.

Reactions: JasterMereel42
I’ve got the same Pro Comp Series
69 cast aluminum wheels. ‘Love them!

View attachment 533491

Nice ride!

What do you put on them to keep them so dark?? Mine look a little faded.

I tragically dropped my tire on the center cup and it exploded into a thousand pieces LOL. Can’t seem to find a replacement anywhere for cheap.

• Sad
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Spending Saturday at Huguenot Memorial Park exploring the beach and jetty areas made me realize that I needed a new set of tires.
Between ongoing sales promotions and military discount; I drove a way with a new set of (5) Firestone Destination ATs's for less than $900.Hegeneot Park 9.jpgHugeneot Park 1.jpgHugeneot Park 7.jpg

Last edited:
Since I am refreshing the front end of my TJ, any tips for refreshing those 2 rubber bumperettes on the front of the bumper? I washed them and they still look faded. Should I paint them with bumper paint, or try Cerakote on them?