What did you do to your TJ today?

I like to keep things tidy. Nothing worse than rolling around on the creeper and getting stuck on random debris.
Usually I'm much better about it. But I was kinda forced into my engine swap because my 2.5 crapped out. So tearing everything down for that and accumulating parts for the V8 to go in. Plus a transmission swap, plus having to get parts to adapt that to the V8. Then I opted to do the rear axle because the Dana 35 has breakage issues with the 4.0, a V8 would guarantee to break it. Then I decided to do a new suspension while it was all tore out. Then sway bars. And the vortex continues. Plus I'm in the 3rd bay of my parent's garage since I don't have a garage at my place, so not tons of room to begin with.

Today I attempted to get the V8, transmission, and transfer case somewhat set into place. Hoping to have that finalized and begin welding the engine mounts in by the end of this week.

20190902_210738.jpg

20190902_210752.jpg

20190902_210911.jpg

Usually I'm much better about it. But I was kinda forced into my engine swap because my 2.5 crapped out. So tearing everything down for that and accumulating parts for the V8 to go in. Plus a transmission swap, plus having to get parts to adapt that to the V8. Then I opted to do the rear axle because the Dana 35 has breakage issues with the 4.0, a V8 would guarantee to break it. Then I decided to do a new suspension while it was all tore out. Then sway bars. And the vortex continues. Plus I'm in the 3rd bay of my parent's garage since I don't have a garage at my place, so not tons of room to begin with.
Sounds like you've quite the project going on. I've been there. I made it a point to do a cleanup and organizing at the end of each work period. I say work period because sometimes I've been known to go up to15hrs at a stretch. Enjoy your build.

Reactions: matkal
Sounds like you've quite the project going on. I've been there. I made it a point to do a cleanup and organizing at the end of each work period. I say work period because sometimes I've been known to go up to15hrs at a stretch. Enjoy your build.
I'm enjoying it, but ready to have it all done so I can enjoy it on the road and trails!! Sometimes my work sessions are only 30 mins at a time. So I'd spend just as much time cleaning up as I would working. Other times I'm able to spend 12+ hours on it. And those are the days I tidy up afterwards.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
started with fixing the headlight adjustment ring with an e-clip, some washers and a nylock nut

headlightadjustmentfix.jpg

and ended up painting the bezels and retainers with some stone white Dupli-Color

whitebezels.jpg

it might have looked better if the grill paint wasn't in terrible condition 😒

Reactions: L J
IMG_20190903_105100.jpg
IMG_20190903_115442.jpg

Did some Radio stuff today.
I was going to Fab a mount for the antenna go match the factory antenna port better. Meh. I drilled out a mirror mount then bolted it to the port. Probably will hurt the resale value. Selling it? Hah never, the actual cb mounting could be a little cleaner, I couldn't find my air ratchet to put that screw in that's obviously sideways.
These things happen, I'm impatient.

Replaced the fuel pump on Saturday.
It was definitely clogged from sitting for a few years.
View attachment 113187

Next on the the fuel rail and injectors.
Take a minute and separate the tank and skid plate. You will probably find alot of dirt rocks and debris in the skid plate.

Changed my diff fluid this Sunday. What I saw definitely raised hairs on my neck. The old fluid was sludge, and filled with glitter. Probably never changed and the Jeep had 96k miles on it when I bought it.

Can any of you more experienced folk tell me if my gears look ok? The Dana 30 gears look pretty worn to me...

I know this isn't a thread for discussion, so if you have an informed opinion, feel free to DM me. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190901_154204.jpgIMG_20190901_154207.jpgIMG_20190901_162911.jpgIMG_20190901_162930.jpg

Oh, also, I got some new hardware and re-installed my tire carrier finally.

IMG_20190903_102906.jpg

Put on some Sunpie LED knockoff headlamps. Definitely brighter than the cheap H4 conversion buckets the PO had on there. Easy to splice into the turn signal wires right there in the wiring loom, so able to use the halos as front turn signals. Haven't bothered running switched power to the halos yet, so they only activate as turn signals.

Trying to get things done under my carport before the storm so I can put my tools away. I’ve got my shelf cut out and loosely bolted in but I’ve had to add a couple of spacers under the visor mounts and add a piece of aluminum to lower the visor tip clips. Planning to line the inside with self stick material, paint the exposed DP underside and add a piece of cut tubing for the edging.

Reactions: RipSteakface