What did you do to your TJ today?

F-ed up my baby trying to make her better. 😢 Chased a bottom end knock to my flexplate bolts. Upon tightening found one bolt had stripped and decided to tap it to the next size up. All went good with tapping the hole, but the only bolt I could find was about 1/8" longer than the original torque converter bolts (I shaved the head of the bolt to the right height because the original is a low profile.) I figured this wasn't a huge deal and went forward with the fix. Bottom end knock was gone after the fix!! Then when I put it it in gear it made a noise like something was rubbing and quickly went away. I figured it was just a fluke and all was good to go. I proceeded to drive to a store about 15 miles away. Everything felt great during my drive to the store! About 5 miles from my house I noticed a smell of trans fluid and then the Jeep just stopped moving all together. I am guessing the slightly longer bolt pushed the torque converter in just enough to cause havoc. So much for making things better...

F-ed up my baby trying to make her better. 😢 Chased a bottom end knock to my flexplate bolts. Upon tightening found one bolt had stripped and decided to tap it to the next size up. All went good with tapping the hole, but the only bolt I could find was about 1/8" longer than the original torque converter bolts (I shaved the head of the bolt to the right height because the original is a low profile.) I figured this wasn't a huge deal and went forward with the fix. Bottom end knock was gone after the fix!! Then when I put it it in gear it made a noise like something was rubbing and quickly went away. I figured it was just a fluke and all was good to go. I proceeded to drive to a store about 15 miles away. Everything felt great during my drive to the store! About 5 miles from my house I noticed a smell of trans fluid and then the Jeep just stopped moving all together. I am guessing the slightly longer bolt pushed the torque converter in just enough to cause havoc. So much for making things better...
S**t. That sounds like a high dollar oops. Maybe just the torque converter.

We also go to Hatteras and you are right. The sharks teeth aren't there like other NC beaches. I don't know why. I have found very few there. My wife likes to find the sea glass also. I love driving on the beach there.

S**t. That sounds like a high dollar oops. Maybe just the torque converter.
I have been praying to every god I can think of it's just the converter. I will be dropping the pan today and seeing if there is any hope for the transmission. Does anyone know where I can get a torque converter? The only one I can find is from a guy on ebay and I don't always trust ebay vendors.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Looks great, what made you choose the Alpine over the Seicane?
Quite simply, the language barrier, lack of instructions/labeling, and convoluted menu/adjustments. The Seicane came with no instructions and searching online produced little to no help. I couldn't find accurate specs on it, it only had 1 sub RCA jack, and got tired of trying to fine tune it "in the dark." The Alpine simplified the whole install and tuning. On a completely superficial note, I also hated the green accent lighting and no ability to change it. The Alpine, 50w power pack, and 150w sub amp sounds flipping amazing. Glad I switched. With all that said, if the Seicane came with coherent instructions for install and tuning, it does have an amazing platform that would have provided multiple options (integrated GPS, Android OS functionality, back up camera, etc.); but, alas, I couldn't find any.

Reactions: pagrey
Time for the good old oil change.... its the one time i like working on the jeep.

Could not find any regular pennzoil so i went with Castrol.

15713575631136452511426550902912.jpg

Ever since adding aftermarket seats I effectively eliminated the fold and tumble feature of the front seats by any normal means. Now that I’m putting the kiddo in and out on a more regular basis I needed this feature so I rigged up a little pull lever today

14d75dd1-72fe-4563-9581-d54285870962-jpeg.jpg

I picked up a general purpose pull starter from the hardware store for a couple bucks and used 550 cord.

2650e33b-502c-4ee9-afc8-ac70142b7a58-jpeg.jpg

under the seat I found the cross bar with the actuating lever that activates the fold and tumble and tied the other end of the 550 cord to it. Now my fold and tumble works by just a small pull on the starter handle instead of having to reach under the seat to turn the bar by hand. Anyone rig up something similar/better?