What did you do to your TJ today?

If you zoom in at the first pic. You can see the blue wire tap in line with the OE red power wire to the stock light. I tapped into the red wire and bolted the ground on the hood bumper bolt you see on the hood itself.

No fuse or battery cable was removed other than the physical oe light. Easy mod.

Ahh, yes, I see it now. Thank you!

Reactions: Drippy
Finished up my air compressor install with the switch, added some poly fill behind the front speakers, and installed the mic for my head unit I left out originally. Also rescued my wife and sister in law who went out for a hike and overheated her Toyota Sequoia. Poor thing was out of coolant.

Airing back up is going to be so much nicer now.

20200301_163414.jpg
20200301_163402.jpg

Finished up my air compressor install with the switch, added some poly fill behind the front speakers, and installed the mic for my head unit I left out originally. Also rescued my wife and sister in law who went out for a hike and overheated her Toyota Sequoia. Poor thing was out of coolant.

Airing back up is going to be so much nicer now.

View attachment 143401View attachment 143402
NIIICE!
You have voice activated air.
That's sweet!
"Siri, 26 psi please".

Last edited:
Started to take the milk jugs off the front bumper after soaking the torx bolts for a week in pb blaster and broke the torx socket on the firts one. Guess ill get the grinder out.
Took mine off last summer, had the same rusted torx bolt problem. I can’t remember the exact number of them but if there were 12 between the 4 jugs, I probably broke 7 of them. I decided screw it and didn’t want to waste too much time so I chose effort instead and just started manhandling them off. Ripped them off by tearing the plastic, I wasn’t going to reuse them anyway since they were so faded and the PO damaged one of them anyway. Something so simple just changes the look instantly.

Changed the oil, and lubed all 486 (guesstimate) zerk fittings. You know with Currie control arms, and Currie steering and such. Also one on my swing out tire carrier. I even have them on my front track bar. Anyways, I have so many I felt I earned a chance to post about my LOF today.

IMG-0357.JPG

Today I installed the Rugged Ridge Sparticus Tire Carrier. It consists of replacement hinges for the tailgate and a beefy steel mounting plate to replace the factory one.

When I bought my TJ, it had a cheap tire carrier bumper from amazon. I am not a fan of tire carrier bumpers because of the extra work required to access the trunk. Even so, I initially repainted the bumper because I though I'd keep it, shown below.
i2WxJxu.jpg

But that didn't last long. Recently I changed the bumper out for a Dirtworx bumper I rattle canned. I ran the Jeep without a tire carrier for a while like below. Love the Dirtworx bumper (haven't really used it yet though). I like that it has additional bolts in the rear crossmember.

xDy9QMq.jpg

A lot of people on this forum recommend the Exogate for a door mounted tire carrier. The Exogate uses the factory tire carrier, which I didn't have. I'm also not really a fan of how it looks. For the same price, I found the Rugged Ridge Sparticus, which includes a tire carrier. I decided to go that route because I like how it looks and reviews suggested it was pretty well made. I got the tire carrier today while I was replacing my leaking trans pan gasket. Once I wrapped that up I started work on the tire carrier.

That's when the nightmare began.

The torx bolts holding down the factory hinges are practically welded to the door. There is some chemical process that occurs between the bolt head and the countersunk surface of the hinge (outlined by another member here) which seizes the bolt head. I basically destroyed every torx head that I had, then went to home depot and bought some impact torx bits, broke both of those with my 1/4" impact and still had 2 of 6 bolts left to remove. I went back to home depot and bought a hardened 5/16ths drill bit and drilled out the bolts. What a headache. The picture below gives you a good idea. With the heads of the bolts removed, the shaft was easily removed with pliers. The head of the bolt is the part that seizes.

eIvaA9n.jpg

ANYWAYS, once I finally got them out, the hinges and carrier installed with ease. Below you can see it installed without the tire.

g5MMwWu.jpg

And with the tire.

1FnGhLx.jpg

I think it looks SWEET. I am super happy with how it looks and I'm happy to have it installed as things were looking pretty grim earlier in the day. I will be heading back to Harbor Freight to replace my ICON Torx Sockets. Interestingly enough, the ICON socket didn't shear, but bent. I guess it's softer, not sure if I applied more or less torque with it before failure compared to the other stuff.

Today I installed the Rugged Ridge Sparticus Tire Carrier. It consists of replacement hinges for the tailgate and a beefy steel mounting plate to replace the factory one.

When I bought my TJ, it had a cheap tire carrier bumper from amazon. I am not a fan of tire carrier bumpers because of the extra work required to access the trunk. Even so, I initially repainted the bumper because I though I'd keep it, shown below.
View attachment 143730

But that didn't last long. Recently I changed the bumper out for a Dirtworx bumper I rattle canned. I ran the Jeep without a tire carrier for a while like below. Love the Dirtworx bumper (haven't really used it yet though). I like that it has additional bolts in the rear crossmember.

View attachment 143731

A lot of people on this forum recommend the Exogate for a door mounted tire carrier. The Exogate uses the factory tire carrier, which I didn't have. I'm also not really a fan of how it looks. For the same price, I found the Rugged Ridge Sparticus, which includes a tire carrier. I decided to go that route because I like how it looks and reviews suggested it was pretty well made. I got the tire carrier today while I was replacing my leaking trans pan gasket. Once I wrapped that up I started work on the tire carrier.

The torx bolts holding down the factory hinges are practically welded to the door. There is some chemical process that occurs between the bolt head and the countersunk surface of the hinge (outlined by another member here) which seizes the bolt head. I basically destroyed every torx head that I had, then went to home depot and bought some impact torx bits, broke both of those with my 1/4" impact and still had 2 of 6 bolts left to remove. I went back to home depot and bought a hardened 5/16ths drill bit and drilled out the bolts. What a headache. The picture below gives you a good idea. With the heads of the bolts removed, the shaft was easily removed with pliers. The head of the bolt is the part that seizes.

View attachment 143732

ANYWAYS, once I finally got them out, the hinges and carrier installed with ease. Below you can see it installed without the tire.

View attachment 143733

And with the tire.

View attachment 143734

I think it looks SWEET. I am super happy with how it looks and I'm happy to have it installed as things were looking pretty grim earlier in the day. I will be heading back to Harbor Freight to replace my ICON Torx Sockets. Interestingly enough, the ICON socket didn't shear, but bent. I guess it's softer, not sure if I applied more or less torque with it before failure compared to the other stuff.
I've seen the Spartacus carrier on Amazon and it looks great on your Jeep!

You know... they should put a hazard notice on kids much like the ones on cigarettes!
The surgion General has found Children to be a hazard to your Jeep...
Consider a hobby including thing that get broke all the damn time on purpose
to avoid having thoughts of making them stay away from your Jeep or sending them
to your parents house permanently!

Me?
My kid is 35 and is jealous of my Jeep and live in freaking gorgeous Northern California!
Bastard... Damn I miss that brat...
It is nice up here in Northern California. I do like having the 4 seasons too.

View attachment 143730

View attachment 143731

View attachment 143732

View attachment 143733

And with the tire.

View attachment 143734

I’m digging those trail grapplers! One of the best looking tires on the market imho.