What did you do to your TJ today?

Thanks, the prep work is not difficult at all, it’s just time consuming. Depending on where you live and the amount of rust that you have built up will depend on how long you’ll spend on it. I spent about 6 hours knocking as much rust off as possible. If you have an air compressor, I highly recommend getting a needle scaler. It will make your life so much easier instead of just hitting it with a wire wheel and a wire brush, that would take you 2 to 3 times longer! After cleaning as much rust as possible that will fall off, it’s time to do the rewarding part. Remember, this is POR (paint over rust) so you aren’t removing the rust to bare metal, you’re just removing the rust that will fall off...the goal is to get it down to a solid surface before applying the paint.

step 1 is the degreaser:
POR-15 40101 Cleaner Degreaser - 1 gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J594EGI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This takes about 30 minutes or so and then you hose it off with water only and wait for it to dry completely.

Step 2 is the metal prep:
POR-15 40201 Metal Prep - 1 gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J594B52/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This takes about the same amount of time as the degreaser and same thing, hose it off and wait for it to dry. When your done, the surface will look like you just washed the frame in salt, that’s is the best way I can describe what it will look like.

Step 3 is the paint.
POR-15 45006-6PK Gloss Black Rust Preventive Coating - 4 fl. oz., (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2VULQ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I used the 6 pack of 4oz cans which was the perfect way to go. The small cans allow you to stop and not have to seal a half used can. If you try and re-open a can that you’ve already been using, you’ll never get it reopened without destroying the can. I took someone else’s advice on that. I did 2 coats on the Jeep. I did the back 1/3 of the Jeep last fall before it got too cold so I touched up what needed it this weekend which I figure I’ll have to do each year going forward here in the Midwest. It’ll be so much easier just doing a little touch up spots once a year. All in all, what I did last year, 97% of the work was still in excellent condition. Very pleased with the product and I highly recommended it!

Let me know if you have anymore questions at all, I’d be glad to answer them.

I’m planning on doing this some time in the near future. I’ve been putting it off for a while because I know how much work it’s going to be to get rid of the loose rust 😩 but proper prep work is definitely the key to success! Your frame/axles came out beautifully!

What are those wires going from the fenders to the top of the windshield for?
Limb risers. Not much use here in California but if you take a trail in the woods where the tree limbs/branches hang low and hit the windshield, they ensure the branches rise to the top and avoid the glass. In your area these might be of more use lol

Reactions: matkal
Another warm, sunny day in Los Angeles. Perfect temp for my new half doors. Took a long drive down PCH and all over the city.

View attachment 159310

View attachment 159311

View attachment 159312

View attachment 159313

I was just telling my hubby about those guide wires that make the branches go over instead of hitting the windshield directly. I am thinking I may do that down the road. Do you have close up pics on how they hook to the Jeep? Also, Where did you find the tray that is above your instrument cluster? I would love to have something there!! :D

Nice Jeep by the way.

Reactions: Shinebox_LJ
Today I unexpectedly got a suitable wheel bolt and a wheel nut in a small US car workshop. On the internet these parts would have been more than twice as expensive to ship.
10 € for a wheel nut is already usury.

20200507_102149.jpg

the assembly was done quickly, now the brake fluid should be changed,
the vent screw objected,
now I'm considering to replace the rear brakes including the rear brake lines.

20200507_123446.jpg

Reactions: Shinebox_LJ
I've been looking at the gunmetal ones.
These are gunmetal. Weird sun angle.
It was between these and similar ones at Extreme Terrain, ET was out of stock for at least six weeks, I got the last 4 QT had in stock (15"), they said it would be about six weeks till they got more. I think I've had these for about 6 weeks.
You can't beat them for the money.

IMG_0726.jpg