What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed a new ZJ tie rod and drag link, replacing the old worn set. Also installed a JKS adjustable track bar. With only 2.5" of lift it didn't take much adjustment to dial it in. Did an alignment check, everything is right where it should be. Drove down the road at speeds up to 65, steering is nice and tight, no wandering or bump steer, goes where you point it. I think I'm good for a while.
View attachment 184578
Those moog parts come with primer on them only. You may want to throw some coats of black on there to prevent rust.

Reactions: FireJeep
Ah OK...so, hopefully, the shop will be checking the backlash, gear alignment, preload, etc.

Yeah they're one of two reputable local 4x4 shops and do re-gearing, among other things. I trust that they should be able to handle all that, although I did get the standard disclaimer that it's a fine science yada yada and understand the risks blah blah. It is what it is, I'm just trying to make the most of this shit sandwich at this point and not think about the extra money and time I've spent/will spend

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I need some new ones too. What did you go with? I'm going to get rid of the factory fog lights for some bright driving lights too.

+1 those look bright.

I have always run KCs on my Jeep and been very happy. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Had Slimlights on my last XJ and now have their LED Daylighters on my current Jeep. Looking into their LED headlights too.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
You only go 65 MPH. I have driven many tims over 85 and have no problems. What is the fastest you should go in a TJ?

I only went 65 because that's what the speed limits are around here. The fastest you should go in your area should remain something less than terminal velocity...

Those moog parts come with primer on them only. You may want to throw some coats of black on there to prevent rust.

I had considered that, but I'm lazy and living in New Mexico allows me to be a bit more casual about rust prevention. Here are the 4 year old (unpainted) ZJ tie rod and drag link I just removed. The tips of the threads where the adjusting clamp stripped off some of the primer had the worst rust, and it was just surface oxidation. For now, at least, I think I'm good.

20200818_084757.jpg

I need some new ones too. What did you go with? I'm going to get rid of the factory fog lights for some bright driving lights too.
BCD2A079-2C13-460E-A196-A115B8A46034.jpeg

I wish I knew the name .. there wasn’t anything in the box or on the box except Jeep Wrangler.. my buddy bought them and then sold his Tj and they have been in the garage for a couple years... Really nice , easy hookup, and they are bright..

Tried out some Meguiar's Ultimate black plastic restorer. I did the flares, mirrors, antenna base, gas fill bezel and license plate holder. Too shiny right now, but it says it lasts for over 100 car washes. It should fade. No greasy residue. Time will tell if I wasted my $7 and Advance Auto free same day delivery service.
smile.gif

Meguiars2.jpg

Meguiars1.jpg

Meguiars.jpg

Last edited:
So, I am still trying to get my rig ready for a Mass inspection sticker. Some of you may have seen my washer pumps, that was fun, the new ones will be here tomorrow. I had a funky headlight that got brighter when i tapped it so figured it was on it's way out. I bought new ones and started putting them in. I already removed the plug at this point but several wires were already broken. Funny thing, I have a 70s barracuda harness that I used to solder in to fix this, the color codes on the wires are still the same from 72!

HL.jpg