What did you do to your TJ today?

Getting prepped to install the new head unit and CB radio, both of which are currently inbound. Painted the new Metra center bezel (already in hand) to match the exterior (red). Will also paint the instrument cluster surround. Using Dupli-Color plastic dashboard paint - I probably would have been better off with SEM, but the Dupli-Color was available within walking distance. Seems to be working well enough, but its taking a LOT of paint to cover the black plastic. Will definitely need to take another walk for at least 1 more can...

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Getting prepped to install the new head unit and CB radio, both of which are currently inbound. Painted the new Metra center bezel (already in hand) to match the exterior (red). Will also paint the instrument cluster surround. Using Dupli-Color plastic dashboard paint - I probably would have been better off with SEM, but the Dupli-Color was available within walking distance. Seems to be working well enough, but its taking a LOT of paint to cover the black plastic. Will definitely need to take another walk for at least 1 more can...
If you primed it in white, you'll get a lot "redder" red.

I'm sure it's just a fluke.
It has to be a fluke.
It's probably a fluke.

Is it a fluke?

Is this all the codes?
Screenshot_20200818-201750_Torque.jpg

I bought a Mopar crank sensor yesterday. Put it in tonight and cleared the codes.

I expect the evap leak codes will return.

The o2 codes have been there since right after purchasing the jeep last year.

Drove it around for 40 minutes. Like nothing ever happened.

A fluke? Mopar sensor or no sensor?

Time will tell......

I'm sure it's just a fluke.
It has to be a fluke.
It's probably a fluke.

Is it a fluke?

Is this all the codes?
View attachment 184786

I bought a Mopar crank sensor yesterday. Put it in tonight and cleared the codes.

I expect the evap leak codes will return.

The o2 codes have been there since right after purchasing the jeep last year.

Drove it around for 40 minutes. Like nothing ever happened.

A fluke? Mopar sensor or no sensor?

Time will tell......

Evap code is likely just your gas cap
Unless you replaced your sensors, those o2 codes will likely be back.

Evap code is likely just your gas cap
Unless you replaced your sensors, those o2 codes will likely be back.

Gas cap is new Mopar last year. o2 sensors are new last year (NTK). I had one o2 sensor code and one evap leak code, if I recall from when I picked it up January 2019. After replacing the 1 o2, sensor (and the valve cover gasket), I ended up with 3 or 4 or 5 other codes. So, I replaced them all. Those 3 are still there. The crank sensor fixed all the misfire codes, coil circuit codes, etc. Last fall, I found one connector at the 2/2 sensor that was corroded and bare wires. Spliced in a good one, and no change. The o2 heater fuse (15a) blows almost immediately after starting. Gonna start looking for cause there soon. Just happy to not have all 13 or 14 codes and the bucking, chugging, and barely running anymore. For now at least, LOL.

When I'm modding the Jeep, I have this weird belief that I need to keep all the stock stuff in case the Smithsonian calls and wants an example of a stock 2005 LJR for display purposes only. Because of that, I am particular about cutting off connectors. When upgrading the audio, I bought the harness adapter for the head unit rather than snip the factory wires and splice them in. The factory speakers in the soundbar have a pretty beefy connector. Some speaker manufacturers have plug and play for this connector. The speakers I chose do not. The factory plug is soldered to the speaker. The distance between the contacts matched the distance on my new speaker so I just un-soldered the connector and soldered it onto my after market speaker. Took about 15 minutes.

If anyone takes this on, know there's a clip down inside (arrow). You can use a flat screwdriver to release it. I didn't do this and snapped the clip off.
1597840360466.png

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Just happy to not have all 13 or 14 codes and the bucking, chugging, and barely running anymore. For now at least, LOL.

ahh, I see why you're happy with only 3 codes :D

I have a stubborn evap code that kept coming up. Recently had to have a new fuel pump installed and haven't had the evap code since. Maybe there was a leaky vent hose or something. Seems MIL codes are part voodoo sometimes.

Good luck with your detective work. Will be interesting to see if you find the problem.

Took it in yesterday for its safety inspection (that was up in Feb, lol). I needed a front left wheel bearing, and the right rear axle seal was leaking. Got those fixed up, and it goes back in tomorrow to get checked again and get its sticker.

When I'm modding the Jeep, I have this weird belief that I need to keep all the stock stuff in case the Smithsonian calls and wants an example of a stock 2005 LJR for display purposes only. Because of that, I am particular about cutting off connectors. When upgrading the audio, I bought the harness adapter for the head unit rather than snip the factory wires and splice them in. The factory speakers in the soundbar have a pretty beefy connector. Some speaker manufacturers have plug and play for this connector. The speakers I chose do not. The factory plug is soldered to the speaker. The distance between the contacts matched the distance on my new speaker so I just un-soldered the connector and soldered it onto my after market speaker. Took about 15 minutes.
Or you could just buy your stereo equipment at Crutchfield. All adapters are included for plug and play installation and they even have a ReadyHarness to not touch any head unit wires either. I just replaced my head unit and speakers and it took about 30 minutes start to finish.

Reactions: Queticon
It always amazes me what people have to go through in other states and countries to get a vehicle on the road. Here, they don't look at the vehicle at all if you're changing the title within the state. If it's from out of state you need an "inspection". You stay in the car, the guy takes the title, walks around the car, checks the VIN number matches the title, looks at your proof of insurance, and you're good to go. They don't start it, look under the hood, or run any tests.

Then they collect your property tax and wheel tax and registration fee and road fee and processing fees and fees because you paid fees and charge you for the plate then you go on your way. Those really suck here though.

It always amazes me what people have to go through in other states and countries to get a vehicle on the road. Here, they don't look at the vehicle at all if you're changing the title within the state. If it's from out of state you need an "inspection". You stay in the car, the guy takes the title, walks around the car, checks the VIN number matches the title, looks at your proof of insurance, and you're good to go. They don't start it, look under the hood, or run any tests.

Then they collect your property tax and wheel tax and registration fee and road fee and processing fees and fees because you paid fees and charge you for the plate then you go on your way. Those really suck here though.
In NC it varies by county. The heavier populated ones require a sniff test. While the less populated ones, just a safety check, lights, wipers, horn.

I got rejected at a VA state inspection station years ago because the guy said my headlights weren't bright enough. I said, "So you just fail every Jeep you inspect?".:rolleyes: I now take all my vehicles to a small Mom and Pop place that does the "Old School" inspections. Lights, brakes, horn, tires, DONE! It takes him longer to fill out the decal than it does to inspect my Jeeps.

Last edited:
Larger cities require a sniff test for vehicles 73 and newer.
Sounds like what MD does. Va never checks that at most places. I had a tiny exhaust leak on my car that couldn't be heard. This place put it on the lift and started it and found it. They wanted $650 to replace the pipe and resonator. I took it to a country shop and passed it 10 minutes. New tires and brakes distracted them.

CT just has emissions every 2 years. Which if your CEL isn't on you will pass. No inspections. I sometimes wonder if we should have them when I see vehicles driving 80 mph down the road that have basically rusted in half.

CT just has emissions every 2 years. Which if your CEL isn't on you will pass. No inspections. I sometimes wonder if we should have them when I see vehicles driving 80 mph down the road that have basically rusted in half.

I wonder that too. SC has nothing. At least in my little area, maybe the bigger cities do, I don’t know. It’s nice if you do a half decent job of keeping your vehicle maintained. It sucks when you see people driving around with stuff falling apart. I passed a car one time with no headlights, turn signals or front bumper cover. Basically, just the condenser/radiator and windshield washer tank on the front. I would think they would be a magnet for a ticket though.

• Angry