What did you do to your TJ today?

Let the pictures do the talking...

My solution to the outrageously overpriced lower shift boot for '05/'06 6 speed transmissions. It hopefully will work over a long period, but it cost $10.99 from Amazon:

194.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZI1S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

195.jpg

Typical torn lower/inner shift boot, not paying $125 or more to fix this chickenshit problem.

196.jpg

Trial fitment.

197.jpg

Trimmed to size, and roughened up a bit.

1a0.jpg

Glued down with this stuff.

198.jpg

Done!

19f.jpg

Shown in reverse.

I don't think the 3m Weatherstrip adhesive is going to let go and even if it does, I don't think this thing is going to go anywhere between the "well" in the old one and the goofy weight/splice junction in the gearshift lever - kinda sandwiches inbetween. In any event, it was $10.99!

Last edited:
Let the pictures do the talking...

My solution to the outrageously overpriced lower shift boot for '05/'06 6 speed transmissions. It might even work over a long period, but it cost $10.99 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZI1S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Typical torn lower/inner shift boot, not paying $125 or more to fix this chickenshit problem.

Trial fitment.

Trimmed to size, and roughened up a bit.

Glued down with this stuff.

Done!

Shown in reverse.

I don't think the 3m Weatherstrip adhesive is going to let go and even if it does, I don't think this thing is going to go anywhere between the "well" in the old one and the goofy weight/spice junction in the gearshift lever - kinda sandwiches inbetween. In any event, it was $10.99!

That 3M weatherstrip adhesive works really well, I've used it on a few projects with great success.

ben really busy during this pandemic. Got the front fenders painted and installed. new led headlights. last night mounted up the winch and power steering cooler to the new front bumper. Have the two Viair 485c's installed just need to finish up the wiring and connect them to the tank. Still have more things to do....

ben really busy during this pandemic. Got the front fenders painted and installed. new led headlights. last night mounted up the winch and power steering cooler to the new front bumper. Have the two Viair 485c's installed just need to finish up the wiring and connect them to the tank. Still have more things to do....
Those 485’s are nice

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
When he lifted the Jeep he used a cheap Lift, moved the factory track bar, I am ordering an adjustable one.
Even some of the adjustable ones benefit from better bushings... Beyond centering the axle... The track bar has to control the axles tendecy to float left and right ... And it does that constantly.

It will perform no better than the bushings and bolts.

Reactions: John Cooper
Bought a 20T shop press and installed one of my new chromoly rear axles, pretty easy job once you have a shop press and a grinder. Also found some of my wobble issue. I have both a bent flange, and a wheel that has been ran loose and looks like it may have come off at one point prior to me owning the Jeep. Circular scars inside the barrel of the wheel make me think it came off, and the ovaled lug holes indicate it was loose for a while. Might be why the flange is bent too? Either way, new axles in the rear and I will swap the spare wheel into play and put the damaged wheel on as a spare. Will replace the jacked up wheel soon, maybe all 5?

Bought a 20T shop press and installed one of my new chromoly rear axles, pretty easy job once you have a shop press and a grinder. Also found some of my wobble issue. I have both a bent flange, and a wheel that has been ran loose and looks like it may have come off at one point prior to me owning the Jeep. Circular scars inside the barrel of the wheel make me think it came off, and the ovaled lug holes indicate it was loose for a while. Might be why the flange is bent too? Either way, new axles in the rear and I will swap the spare wheel into play and put the damaged wheel on as a spare. Will replace the jacked up wheel soon, maybe all 5?
I added casters to my press, consider it if you have a need to move it around.

I added casters to my press, consider it if you have a need to move it around.

Might do that. It's not too bad to drag around the garage. Floor is nice and smooth. Next I want to build a bench with a vise. Tired of sitting on the floor to beat on stuff. Planning to learn how to install gears, cause I am stubborn and would rather spend money on tools and learn than pay labor. Plus I have a couple buddies who need gears too that will help me with specialty tool costs.

When he lifted the Jeep he used a cheap Lift, moved the factory track bar, I am ordering an adjustable one.
Maybe he was just being smart, since a lot of the aftermarket track bars hit the diff cover. The stock track bar does the same job and the bushings last a lot longer than most. Mine were still good after 15 years.

Reactions: HYRYSC
Might do that. It's not too bad to drag around the garage. Floor is nice and smooth. Next I want to build a bench with a vise. Tired of sitting on the floor to beat on stuff. Planning to learn how to install gears, cause I am stubborn and would rather spend money on tools and learn than pay labor. Plus I have a couple buddies who need gears too that will help me with specialty tool costs.
When you get that gear change thing worked out, let me know and I'll send you my axles! :LOL: I've done it before but, I'm just getting too old for that kind of pain now 😖

What makes it rice?
Kinda confuzzed there myself. Don't see anything except, maybe, the JVC head unit but, heading down that road, the USA has not made any notable audio equipment since the 70s so... Anywho, JVC stuff is about as good as any other, price-to-price (OK, I'm a Pioneer fanboy, but, I've had JVC stuff I've liked just fine).