What did you do to your TJ today?

After having problems with the SKIM module inside the steering column and the keys with the AB at the end of the part number; the module and keys were warranteed by the dealer and the new parts were installed by a friend that has been a Jeep technician for more than 25 years. The keys were programmed, but one of the three keys would not program and will be returned again for another key with the AA at the end of the part number.

Next project was to remove the nasty Smittybilt soft top and install a new Bestop Spice sail cloth soft top.
We found the straps on both sides that hold the rear hoop in position were missing. Purchased some strap material at HD and installed the straps using pop rivets; there was a positioning bracket that also required repair.
After the repairs we continued the installation of the soft top.
There is quite a difference between the old Smittybilt and the new Bestop; both in material quality, fitting and appearance.

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

Last edited:
Tried to make a bag to hold my uppers and keep them clean when we are wheeling on dusty roads. 4 hours later I have a bag but it is half ass sewed together and didn't finish the flap or put Velcro on like I had planned. If there is one thing I learned from this, is just buy it already built. By the time you count the 4 hours of fighting with the machine, probably a whole bobbin of string in waist, and some really sketchy stitches, it is cheaper to just buy it. LOL

Hubby found the material at the place he is cleaning up for a friend, so that was free. It cost me for a pack of needles to make sure I had the right strength. Some stronger thread, and velcro. I think that came close to 30 bucks. ( Can you see it is almost half the cost of the 75 dollar already made bag, with a zipper?) LOL

Here is what I started with. I figured I would sew in some extra support at the one end, and also the sides where the uppers bars are at. The dog is standing over the 'extra support". I was going to sew the same type of supports down at the bottom where you see the upper's bars sitting in that pic.

View attachment 165294

After a frustrating 4 hours, this is what I have. It will work.

Bag sitting on deck.

View attachment 165296

After fighting the tailgate closing on me all the time, I got the first upper in. ( What do you all use to keep your door open? )
View attachment 165297

Second upper in.

View attachment 165298

Then all folded and placed under net.

View attachment 165299

Then to top it all off, I had some other pics I wanted to share with you all but my dumb computer is not letting them show up in the pic drop down box. They are on my computer and it say's it is downloading 10 more items, for the last hour. Ugh!! Not my day. LOL

Anyway, at least my windows won't be all dusty now. LOL

Regarding keeping tailgate open, mine wedges in with the custom tire carrier and the weight holds it in place

Reactions: KimsJeep
Finally removed the 1.5" transfer case drop the previous owner installed on the LJ. I recently found the old superlift instructions online and they seemed to be mainly TJ specific since nothing about the LJ was mentioned. I went on a test drive and got up to highway speeds (75mph) and all was good. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but I'm glad it's gone.

IMG_20200607_115637.jpg

IMG_20200607_114947.jpg

The previous owner had also cut the inner shift boot to compensate for the drop. Next step is to install the new inner shift boot I've had laying around for the past few months :)

00.jpg

Installed this triple DC outlet at rear. My second attempt - the first outlet I got was a nice looking dual, but it was such a piece of crap and a pain in the ass to deal with besides, that I junked it. This one is considerably better made, although bigger than I really wanted and not as pretty. Modified it to directly ground through the mounting screws, and ran 12 gauge wire from the battery.

Also won an auction for an ARB Dana 35 diff cover - used, apparently from 1987 if the number I'm seeing on the inside is a date code. If I'm going to have to pull the cover just to change the oil, something with a drain plug is going back on. Now if I can find something similar for the front Dana 30 - finding used stuff like this is pretty difficult; and when you do, most of the time its so expensive you might as well buy new!

Finally removed the 1.5" transfer case drop the previous owner installed on the LJ. I recently found the old superlift instructions online and they seemed to be mainly TJ specific since nothing about the LJ was mentioned. I went on a test drive and got up to highway speeds (75mph) and all was good. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but I'm glad it's gone.

View attachment 168199
View attachment 168200

The previous owner had also cut the inner shift boot to compensate for the drop. Next step is to install the new inner shift boot I've had laying around for the past few months :)

Did you just take it off or did you get a SYE?