What did you do to your TJ today?

I haven't been happy with my swing out tire carrier, so looking to go back to a tailgate mount. Started the project today with fabbing a brace to strengthen the body for the additional weight. Not sure how much this is needed but thought it couldn't hurt and looked like a fun project. My friend and I started on it after lunch and finished by late afternoon. Did a test fit, then cleaned it up a little and shot some paint on it. I think it looks great and does not interfere with anything. Tied it in to the rollbar mount and the top hinges.

m6rKRayh.jpg
IqgHDJGh.jpg

Last edited:
After a long time I was able to do a little test drive today. previously, the drum brakes were converted to a new anchor plate, new brake lines were installed at the rear, the rear axle was completed and installed. the installation of the petrol tank went very smoothly.

20200927_111325_001.jpg

20200928_164211_002.jpg

20201001_121913.jpg

20201001_180546.jpg

The stuff ends up in scrap iron.

20200928_185321.jpg

Adjusted my drag link to center up my steering wheel & discovered this on the passenger side. (Thank you to Jerry Bransford for a great post on How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ.)

20201001_184539.jpg

Looks like I get to learn how to install axle seals. Any tips or tricks on how to make that job smoother would be appreciated.

Adjusted my drag link to center up my steering wheel & discovered this on the passenger side. (Thank you to Jerry Bransford for a great post on How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ.)

View attachment 193768

Looks like I get to learn how to install axle seals. Any tips or tricks on how to make that job smoother would be appreciated.

I could be wrong but I think they are more dust covers than axle seals.

However since mine look like yours I will wait for some advice.

I put the last (very hard to find locally) 3/8-16 stainless acorn nut in the "SkinCrawler" bumper. I've thrown my shoulder out patting myself on the back.

Got the "perfect" CV shaft back from the the drive shaft shop (again) who have never done anything wrong ...no way it needed more weight to be balanced ...more weight was added. Perverts.

It's at Cole's, my ace mechanic .. wish everyone had this guy) ..he's going to install and test it while I slap the remodeling world around , or get slapped.

I may go see @Hog this evening....if he's up for it. We may practice high fives or get rid of this Duck someone (him) put on me.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Inspected and greased the front end; ball joints, tie rods L & R, drag link tie rod and pitman arm tie rod along with the trac bar tie rod.

The past couple weeks I have had an intermittent problem with the received VHF signals fluctuating. Checked the coax connections and measured the coax with analyzer; the readings for the coax were fine, but the antenna was strange. Inspected the antenna and found the lower phase coil had separated inside. The phase coil had carbon tracking and burn marks. No... I have not been using more than 50 W. This is Diamond Super Gainer SG 7900 that is 7 months old.
I took pictures and sent them off to Diamond; received a reply today. Mailed the phase coil back to Diamond along with the HRO purchase receipt; they will evaluate the problem and hopefully warrantee the antenna.

62320794628__BFAB9D50-9DDB-424B-AB43-4B3D237D48C1.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think they are more dust covers than axle seals.

However since mine look like yours I will wait for some advice.
The plastic piece on the tire ends of the axle is pretty much a dust seal. The oil we are seeing is coming from the differential. There is a seal on either side of the differential (where the pumpkin becomes the tubes that house the axles). That seal is supposed to keep the gear oil in the differential cavity. Ours is leaking, & thus must be replaced.

I bought this for a very good price as it makes a good starting point - then I found my winch the next day! In any event, it arrived today, all the way from Puerto Rico. Bag says "Jeep", must be worth the $62/shipped I paid for it alone!
DSC09786.JPG
DSC09787.JPG

For those not familiar, this is Jeep's official "Trail ready kit", has the bag, a Warn tow strap, a pair of very nice heavy duty gloves (with Warn's name on them), two Warn branded clevises, and a book on basic winching that is probably the best part of the entire deal! Jeep dealers sell this for $195!!

Looks like there's enough room left in the bag for a snatch block, and maybe a bit more...