What do I need to run 33x12.5 tires with no off-roading?

so I feel you are building a mall crawler. Not bad but you lose all the positive attributes of a Wrangler. You get an ohh awe kinda of vehicle but it is only about ego. You give up all the fabulous Jeep engineering to deliver the most capable all around vehicle ever built. 33s will not improve street ride, acceleration, economy, performance, cornering, .......... it will only hurt all those attributes but it might give a boost to ego...

I've done that too. 30 years ago I built a low rider....... zero positive performance reasons but very cool at the drive in. all ego

Correct..I am building it musty for street use and looks. At least for now..

Correct..I am building it musty for street use and looks. At least for now..
very cool !! $200 should do it all.... plus tires
it will still be a very cool, capable Jeep at the beach.
and if you want more eventually. real easy to do a full lift later.
but the budget boost of spacers, bump stops and shocks will do everything you say you want.

Looks like the wheels you have might have enough backspace already.
And the flares should work too.

Last edited:
I'm on the same page as @billiebob as far as keeping it small but I have a friend with a budget boost and 33" skinnies and it isn't great even on speed bumps. I'd look into the Zone 3" it's probably worth the extra. The 4.25" is nice but overkill for street use. The great part is if you ever want to step up a bit it's only a body lift, the parts you get are ready for the fun stuff with the 3" and you won't have to toss it all.

very cool !! $200 should do it all.... plus tires
it will still be a very cool, capable Jeep at the beach.
and if you want more eventually. real easy to do a full lift later.
but the budget boost of spacers, bump stops and shocks will do everything you say you want.

Looks like the wheels you have might have enough backspace already. And the flares should work too.

Thanks @billiebob . much appreciated. I was planing on replacing some the suspension parts, and wanted to do the lift at the same time, and wanted to do it right.

Here is a lil history of the jeep. This is jeeep was purchased recently, its a 97 TJ and needs new floor pans and frame patch on one side. I will be doing a tub off frame and body repair, and need new body mounts, so was thinking to install the lift at that point and get new tires......
Its a project am taking on.

Reactions: billiebob
I'm on the same page as @billiebob as far as keeping it small but I have a friend with a budget boost and 33" skinnies and it isn't great even on speed bumps. I'd look into the Zone 3" it's probably worth the extra. The 4.25" is nice but overkill for street use. The great part is if you ever want to step up a bit it's only a body lift, the parts you get are ready for the fun stuff with the 3" and you won't have to toss it all.

will 3" kit clear 33"??

how much articulating will you do on pavement ?
stock, with the right offset will almost work on a parking lot.

Not a all lot. I will use it for regular street driving, and take my young kid to a muddy, and lil bumpy farm on the weekends.

Do you want more, the same or less suspension movent than stock?

Do you want more, the same or less suspension movent than stock?

same to lil more (for bumpy roads) would satisfy me. My kid and I go to the farm a lot and he always wish we had a jeep. I dont plan on going wheeling or go on crazy offroads, but would like to have a setup that will allow me to do lil bit of that if I have to.

how much articulating will you do on pavement ?
stock, with the right offset will almost work on a parking lot.
The difference is do you want to spend $200 or $1000.
All of the suggestions so far are good.
Where do you want to go?

$300 to 500

same to lil more (for bumpy roads) would satisfy me. My kid and I go to the farm a lot and he always wish we had a jeep. I dont plan on going wheeling or go on crazy offroads, but would like to have a setup that will allow me to do lil bit of that if I have to.

Then you are looking at about 4" of total lift for a 33" tire.

Last edited:
Heres a YJ with skinny 33s and a 2" lift, stock wheels.
With your offset wheels and flares guaranteed a 2" lift will work on the street.
I drove this for 200K miles.

DSC_00143093.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehallspqr
Heres a YJ with skinny 33s and a 2" lift, stock wheels.
With your offset wheels and flares guaranteed a 2" lift will work on the street.

View attachment 107692

The space between tires and finders looks ok. Was planning on running 33" 12.5 tires. I like the aggressive look.
Looking at the price, the 2", 3", 4" almost most cost the same.
I am budgeting around $500. Just not sure what to get or whats good and whats junk nor whats needed.

The space between tires and finders looks ok. Was planning on running 33" 12.5 tires. I like the aggressive look.
Looking at the price, the 2", 3", 4" almost most cost the same.
I am budgeting around $500. Just not sure what to get or whats good and whats junk nor whats needed.

Careful comparing your TJ to a YJ. They are more different than they initially appear. You might also want to ask about the suspension travels he was working with.

definitely do not buy junk.
this is the forum to steer you to quality products.
tons of valuable experience if yor are looking for the best "buy"
having ruled cheap out.

and again, as jjvw states, did you tell us what yer end use is?
cuz it keeps changing

I do not consider any budget boost a "best buy"
Just the cheapest way to put 33s on a TJ

Last edited:
definitely do not buy junk.
this is the forum to steer you to quality products.
tons of valuable experience if yor are looking for the best "buy"
having ruled cheap out.

and again, as jjvw states, did you tell us what yer end use is?
cuz it keeps changing

Definitely do not want junk nor cut corners. I want something that is be enough for my need. I dont go offroading nor wheeling. On the weekends my son and i like to go to the farm, and those roads consist of mostly mud.
As i started earlier, i am mostly going for the look as i wll be driving the car on regular road as my daily driver. I just like the 33 12.5 setup.

My recipe for 33" tires:

Properly backspaced 15x8 rims, no spacers.

Old man emu 2933 front HD springs = 2.5" lift
Old man emu rear 942x HD springs = 2.5" lift
M.O.R.E. 1" body lift
JKS front trackbar OGS126
OME rear trackbar bracket, stock rear trackbar
Rubicon Express RE1131 front disconnects
Rubicon Express shocks(aka Bilstein)
Brown Dog 1" motor mount lift
2 pair of Rubicon Express 2" bumpstops RE1385

With this setup, I have 4.0" of uptravel on my front axle.

I run Dick Cepek extreme country tires(actual height 32.8") my fenders barely touch, don't rub at full articulation, and my driveline angles are good. Pretty happy with this setup.

My wife just bought an '05 with 4" of suspension only, no body lift. We are going with the same exact tire/rim combo, so we will see how that compares.

you are on the wrong forum
in my mind, form follows function, but yes buy a 2" budget boost plus good shocks, done
FYI I started out with a Rubicon Express budget boost 1.75" lift with shocks, purchased used from JMT. I like it, worked great, the longer shocks really opened up the ability to flex, but I was only running 31x10.50r15 on stock canyon Jeep rims. It might clear 33's, I highly doubt it, IF you added disconnects and used them, 33's will probably rub pretty good when flexed out.