What gear ratio for 2004 LJ with 33 inch tires and 42RLE?

Which gears for 42RLE and 33s for highway optimizaiton

• Total voters
I saw speedo is correct. Did you put tires in at 31.5? You might be rockin 4.88s according to Grimm jeeper

Yeah that's what I am worried about cause if I have 4.88 then it probably isn't worth it to go to 5.13 financially for the amount of gain. I would hope the shop wouldn't have seen I already had 4.88 and said 3.73 so I buy gears and I can't imagine they could be that far off when they got up under and spun the tire to check. I guess I'll have to jack it up and check

Reactions: thomat65
So from my method I have 4.88s which matches exactly with the calculator. Kinda mad the shop didn't get it right saying I had 3.73. I am still considering pressing with 5.13s anyways since I am doing an air locker in the back anyways

So from my method I have 4.88s which matches exactly with the calculator. Kinda mad the shop didn't get it right saying I had 3.73. I am still considering pressing with 5.13s anyways since I am doing an air locker in the back anyways
My guess is that whoever regeared the Jeep left the factory 3.73 tag on the diff. The shop probably just looked at that instead of checking it like you did.

What is the actual size of the tire stamped on the sidewall?

Reactions: thomat65
Hello everyone!

So I have owned my LJ for 3 years and I love it off road, but getting to the trails is a different story. I have stock gears with the 42RLE Auto and 33" tires and it does fine on flat highway but get a hill or a headwind and it's a mess. I typically drive 70-75mph. I want to make this Jeep a little more enjoyable on the highway so maybe I don't hesitate to take it on a weekend trip to Flagstaff or Utah or Huntington Beach with the wife kid and dogs.

That being said I am in the market for a re-gear local shop quoted $1600 out the door which didn't seem unreasonable.

From my research a lot of folks are suggesting 5.13s for the 42RLE since the OD gear is so tall. I haven't been able to find any videos on YouTube and very few 4spd TJ/LJ who have actually put 5.13s with 33" tires.

Guy at the gear shop said its way too much gear he said he's got a 04 TJ with 4.56 and 35s and the same auto and the RPMS are about at high as you would comfortably want to go. Definitely conflicting information from what's on the forum.

Please anyone with a TJ/LJ 33" tires 42RLE and gears please tell me what gears you went with and your real world experiences related to highway driving and power. I only want to drop the money once on this. Thank you for your help!

-Brandon

Brandon how are you liking your regearing? Did you end up with 5.13? I’m very excited to hear what you got. Thanks man! I’m running 33’s on a 42RLE too on my 05 LJ

Brandon how are you liking your regearing? Did you end up with 5.13? I’m very excited to hear what you got. Thanks man! I’m running 33’s on a 42RLE too on my 05 LJ

Brandon hasn’t been on the forum since April 2020, but 513 with 33’s would be correct.

Reactions: jjvw
I'm running 5.38 with 35s. 5.89 would be nicer. This means that 5.13 still isn't enough to push 33s, except that the Dana 30 can only go to 5.13.

Since we're here on this old thread, I have a couple questions as I plan on eventually going from my present 31" tires, 3.73 and 42RLE to 33" tires and a re gear. I'm in the same boat as far as the OP, wanting a good highway cruise as the closest off roading is 100 miles away. What I do now is shut off the OD up to 65-70mph on two lane state hwy and turn it on above 70 on flat ground. Doing this my MPG stays about the same, 14mpg.

So I guess my first question is what are 5.13s likely to do to my MPG?

Am I correct in assuming that overall this will improve offroad driveability?

Will 5.13 work with my carriers? Dana 30/Dana 35

I'm sure I'll have more questions (wifey interrupted my thought process😬) but I guess in general what are the negatives of 33"/42RLE/5.13 on the road whether around town or on the interstate?

Last edited:
Your mpg should not suffer at all with 5.13 and 33's, it would likely be better than with even 4.88. From just my experience, my TJ with 35's, 42RLE, and 4.88 my mpg went from 11 to 14.6 mpg after regearing it to 5.38. If I could have gone even one ratio lower than 5.38 I would have done so just to give me a few more highway cruising rpms. The rpms are still not quite high enough even with 5.38 and 35's to make me 100% happy.

Since we're here on this old thread, I have a couple questions as I plan on eventually going from my present 31" tires, 3.73 and 42RLE to 33" tires and a re gear. I'm in the same boat as far as the OP, wanting a good highway cruise as the closest off roading is 100 miles away. What I do now is shut off the OD up to 65-70mph on two lane state hwy and turn it on above 70 on flat ground. Doing this my MPG stays about the same, 14mpg.

So I guess my first question is what are 5.13s likely to do to my MPG?

Am I correct in assuming that overall this will improve offroad driveability?

Will 5.13 work with my carriers? Dana 30/Dana 35

I'm sure I'll have more questions (wifey interrupted my thought process😬) but I guess in general what are the negatives of 33"/42RLE/5.13 on the road whether around town or on the interstate?

All these low gearing recommendations are consistently made primarily for on road driving.

Reactions: matkal
Your mpg should not suffer at all with 5.13 and 33's, it would likely be better than with even 4.88. From just my experience, my TJ with 35's, 42RLE, and 4.88 my mpg went from 11 to 14.6 mpg after regearing it to 5.38. If I could have gone even one ratio lower than 5.38 I would have done so just to give me a few more highway cruising rpms. The rpms are still not quite high enough even with 5.38 and 35's to make me 100% happy.

I'm getting around 10.5 to 11 mpg with 33s, 42RLE, and 4.11 factory gears (as far as I know anyways). Does that sound right? I was used to the 14 to 15 in my Sport with 31s, 3.73, and 42RLE.

I'm getting around 10.5 to 11 mpg with 33s, 42RLE, and 4.11 factory gears (as far as I know anyways). Does that sound right? I was used to the 14 to 15 in my Sport with 31s, 3.73, and 42RLE.
Yep that sounds about right. Regear to 5.13 and it should improve to over 14 mpg. That mpg improvement should pay for the regearing in 30-40 years, do it! 🤣