What GPS system is everyone using?

Cell based GPS doesn't always work, I've been without it places in New Mexico and Death valley. I noticed if you start a trip while in cell coverage you can sometimes make it through a dead zone but if you try and start a trip in a dead zone it's a no-go. Something to think about it you like to go off the beaten path and who that owns a Jeep doesn't? I used to carry my old Magellan Satellite GPS for that reason but I also believe in maps and a compass.

• Love
Reactions: Claybirdd and Zorba
A Ram single socket arm attached to the threaded holes for the windshield tie down loop. https://rammount.com/collections/popular-components-b-size/products/rap-b-200-1-293u#

I used that because its the shortest configuration. And a Ram tablet mount is holding the tablet.

View attachment 499747

View attachment 499748

View attachment 499749

Love this! I have a similar setup. Excuse the misaligned hole🤦‍♂️

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

Cell based GPS doesn't always work, I've been without it places in New Mexico and Death valley. I noticed if you start a trip while in cell coverage you can sometimes make it through a dead zone but if you try and start a trip in a dead zone it's a no-go. Something to think about it you like to go off the beaten path and who that owns a Jeep doesn't? I used to carry my old Magellan Satellite GPS for that reason but I also believe in maps and a compass.

Gaia GPS has an offline map feature so I don't care about cell phone signal, only GPS. Andy

Reactions: matkal
Gaia GPS has an offline map feature so I don't care about cell phone signal, only GPS. Andy

I have the free version of Gaia but I haven't tried it with no cell coverage. Do you have to choose and download the maps, and can you do it on the free version?

Here in Ontario GAIA is the most popular in our club. OnX doesn't cover Ontario and wouldn't likely justify the cost given joining OF4WD (Ontario Federation for Four Wheel Drive recreationist, a super group and advocacy group) yields access to all trails via gpx that are on public land. So we mostly load up the gpx maps and use GAIA. These maps aren't perfect as sometimes the GPS isn't precise enough to tell which branch of a trail is the intended branch when you are deep in the bush, but it is good enough for most purposes. You won't get lost, just might take the wrong bypass

Reactions: matkal and B1Toad
I've tried using a phone for GPS but was never satisfied with how they worked or the information they could provide so I always found myself going right back to Garmin units. But then I'm also part of a Search and Rescue unit, and for some types of searches a "handheld" hiking type Garmin GPS works best. In the Jeep I keep at least 2 GPS units working simultaneously, with different information displayed on each:
P1002281r.jpg

Actually, I've now replaced the Montana 600 (now 12 years old) in the lower pic with a newer Montana 750i because it has InReach communications built in and I use that feature all the time.
P1000394er.jpg

Reactions: Zorba