What Jeep is this?

DHunt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
1547217763966.png

Big engine compartment, V8? Years? Looks strangely Bronco or Scout.

I usually think of commando with the outboard fenders. There's one on ebay now, 73, that looks like this. I guess they're pretty rare.

Reactions: Shatto
From Wikipedia:
"The Jeepster name was removed after 1971, but the model remained in production for two more years as the Jeep Commando. In 1972, it received a "conventional" full-width grille (see picture). The Commando had one of three AMC engines, the 232 cu in (3.8 L) or 258 cu in (4.2 L) AMC Straight-6 or the 304 cu in (5.0 L) AMC V8. A total of 20,223 AMC-spec "C104" Jeep Commandos were made in 1972 and 1973. "

"The new configuration, formerly an AMC best seller, quickly caused the line to drop in popularity and was taken out of production in 1973"

I often hear this model called the "bull nose" Jeepster.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepster_Commando

Reactions: XISophos
Jeepster Commando. Actually version #3. The original Jeepster was built by Willys-Overland from 1948-50 and was only 2WD.

I recall 4WD conversions that I lusted after many years ago, like the two below. If one crossed my path I would buy it in a heartbeat and figure out how to justify the expense later.

1444697d1409980880-1948-jeepster-upgrade-image.jpg

Jeep could not give away that last Commando version. They only built it for 2years. Its predessor, the Jeepster Commando was a hot seller.
Being that the bullnose Commando ran either the AMC 258 straight six, or the 304 V8, I would opt for it over its predecessor. I didn't think the little Buick V6 was all that, myself. A matter of opinion, I suppose. ;)

Being that the bullnose Commando ran either the AMC 258 straight six, or the 304 V8, I would opt for it over its predecessor. I didn't think the little Buick V6 was all that, myself. A matter of opinion, I suppose. ;)

While I've always loved the 258 even more than the 304 and most other engines, I'd lean towards the Dauntless V6 in this case because they weren't bad engines and the earlier Jeepster Commandos just looked more like real Jeeps.

Reactions: Squatch
The commando is a pretty funny car to me, they were really built as touring cars (and IMO looked pretty mediocre in their stock form). However once you did the spring over axle and some bigger tires, they are some of my favorite looking rigs.

Mine had the Buick Dauntless V6, it was a pretty fine motor if you didn't mind getting around 6-10mpg with the wind at your back going down hill :D. I also think it used some lighter materials, so it may have not held up super well with lots of stress.