What makes RockJock better than JKS or BDS? OR Auto VS Man Pt37

Just like you can feel the clutch bite point, with enough seat time, you can feel the torque converter build when you need more power. One of my big frustrations with my rig with a manual was that 4 hi was basically useless. I would have to slip the clutch to the point of burning or it would stall. No options. I've been driving manuals a LONG ass time, too, so its not my skill. With the auto, 4-hi is very useful now and it absolutely changed how I drive off road. I can do things with the auto that are just simply not possible with a manual.

Reactions: JMT and Rickyd
I’ve got a 32rh/4.56/231 and have done a lot of long grades on fire roads to and from rock crawling trails and I haven’t experienced any runaway or brakes overheating. Even with a 231 going down steep hills I don’t use my brakes. 1st gear is adequately slow. And I had a manual in the same setup for a few years as well.

Oh they don't go that fast,or runaway. But when creeping on grades that are 10% or better and needing to go that 2-3mph slower the 32rh isn't the transmission of choice.this isn't "wheeling" guys.this is old man style hunting,idle speeds.

None of the experiences put forth as a counter so far are relevant to the needs of the situation.the 32rh has a tall first and a torque converter.it can't be combined with stupid low gears or doublers and run the highway.It wants to go 5mph+ in low on the logging roads I travel. What it doesn't do is let us creep with no brake input on very steep trails cut by caterpillars to haul logs out on the ranches I hunt

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Stock for stock? Who here has a stock jeep? Who here even wants one?

If you would like another example, I can compare my LJ to my fuel injected CJ-7 with a Ford T-19 manual transmission with 6:32:1 1st gear, Dana 300 transfer case with 2.62:1 low range, 4.88 axle gears and 35" tires.

My LJ with 42RLE automatic transmission (2.80:1 1st gear), a similar 2.72:1 low range, 5.38 axle gears and 35" tires is easier to drive at rock crawling speeds than the CJ with manual transmission, can go just as slow, and is comfortable to drive at 75+ mph for hours at a time, something that could not be said about my CJ.

Advocating that a manual transmission is "better" than an automatic off road is old thinking, not uncommon among those who do not have automatics, just as believing that an Antirock is just as good as a SwayLoc on the highway (or good enough as some have written) is a common belief among those with no actual SwayLoc experience.

You still talk about anything other than a 32rh tj(or other 3spd auto jeep)that can still be used on the highway. More irrelevant comparisons.

Gearing recommendations are paired to a transmission.Ironically it is like blaines comparison calling manual drivers ignorant in these conversations. You guys have no experience with what I'm talking about and bring up 5.38's like it matters.

Any of you auto cheerleaders with streetable gears in a 32rh would have hot brakes trying to follow me in my 5speed tj.

It is the main reason I don't have an auto. I don't have decent options for an overdrive auto.so that I could then alleviate the downfalls.

Just like you can feel the clutch bite point, with enough seat time, you can feel the torque converter build when you need more power. One of my big frustrations with my rig with a manual was that 4 hi was basically useless. I would have to slip the clutch to the point of burning or it would stall. No options. I've been driving manuals a LONG ass time, too, so its not my skill. With the auto, 4-hi is very useful now and it absolutely changed how I drive off road. I can do things with the auto that are just simply not possible with a manual.

It is too bad you live where there is no snow or mud for your experiences to be applicable.

You still talk about anything other than a 32rh tj(or other 3spd auto jeep)that can still be used on the highway. More irrelevant comparisons.

Gearing recommendations are paired to a transmission.Ironically it is like blaines comparison calling manual drivers ignorant in these conversations. You guys have no experience with what I'm talking about and bring up 5.38's like it matters.

Any of you auto cheerleaders with streetable gears in a 32rh would have hot brakes trying to follow me in my 5speed tj.

It is the main reason I don't have an auto. I don't have decent options for an overdrive auto.so that I could then alleviate the downfalls.

That's it, I'm selling all my autos.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
That's it, I'm selling all my autos.

Refer to my first post on your proposed new debate topic. They both have their strengths. One of the weaknesses of a 3spd auto is gearing down enough to compensate for a tall first and a torque converter leaves it lacking on the highway. There is a lot of complaining about tall overdrive gears in autos but the upside is they get a low enough first from the deal(when geared appropriately for that tall overdrive).

Again,I'd have an auto if I could find a good overdrive option.til then my uses wouldn't benefit from one

Last edited:

I'm having trouble understanding how @starkey480's description of slow driving and not using his brakes is different from yours is. Are you wanting to travel even slower? Is he able to travel faster on his similar rough roads with greater comfort and control?

I'm having trouble understanding how @starkey480's description of slow driving and not using his brakes is different from yours is. Are you wanting to travel even slower? Is he able to travel faster on his similar rough roads with greater comfort and control?

I can't speak for the grades of the roads/trails he travels or what his goals are.it is too subjective. The skid trails I travel are extremely steep and the engine rpm is kept to an idle so as not to create noise that scares things I shoot for dinner. If you own something with a torque converter it is going to rev higher than a manual all other things being equal,and with a 32rh the axle gearing is relatively high as a compromise for on highway use. If he followed me down the trails I go on he would be riding the brakes to slow to the speeds I hold.

This isn't really the same wheeling as you guys run around doing. It isn't about slow enough for control. It is about noise,both of the engine and the tires breaking branches and shifting rocks.

I could absolutely make a 32rh perform like my ax15 in those situations.but being geared for a 42rle would be dumb unless it was strictly a ranch rig.and would still need to rev(noise) for the torque converter to create compression braking

I don't discount anyone's experience,I just don't see it as relevant within the restraints of a 3spd auto doing what I do.

I can't speak for the grades of the roads/trails he travels or what his goals are.it is too subjective. The skid trails I travel are extremely steep and the engine rpm is kept to an idle so as not to create noise that scares things I shoot for dinner. If you own something with a torque converter it is going to rev higher than a manual all other things being equal,and with a 32rh the axle gearing is relatively high as a compromise for on highway use. If he followed me down the trails I go on he would be riding the brakes to slow to the speeds I hold.

This isn't really the same wheeling as you guys run around doing. It isn't about slow enough for control. It is about noise,both of the engine and the tires breaking branches and shifting rocks.

I could absolutely make a 32rh perform like my ax15 in those situations.but being geared for a 42rle would be dumb unless it was strictly a ranch rig.and would still need to rev(noise) for the torque converter to create compression braking

I don't discount anyone's experience,I just don't see it as relevant within the restraints of a 3spd auto doing what I do.

So it’s possible that a 42RLE, 4:1, and 5.38s combo would work well for you with 33s or 35s?

You’d have the option to keep it in 1, 2, or 3 if you wanted to. Have you compared the numbers using the grimjeeper website?

So it’s possible that a 42RLE, 4:1, and 5.38s combo would work well for you with 33s or 35s?

You’d have the option to keep it in 1, 2, or 3 if you wanted to. Have you compared the numbers using the grimjeeper website?

Man, I'd love to have a good overdrive auto compatible with a pre 2003. @Wildman posted a link to a standalone controller for the 42rle a while back. But I'm leary of being the guinea pig of a one off controller that might not be replaceable in a few years.

The grand cherokee 42re would be cool with upgrades from v8 and diesel applications. It is based on a dodge truck trans. But I'd need a wheelbase stretch first for it to fit

Reactions: MikeE024

If I am understanding things correctly, what is ideal is a computer controlled electric drivetrain for the use cases you describe.

Last edited:
What, you don't like quiet operation, lots of torque, regen brakes that work well? All good for your pew-pew fun time.

No thanks.

Reliability, ease of repairs, charger availability, excessive nanny tech, range anxiety.

Those are just some of the dealbreakers of that option.

No thanks.

Reliability, ease of repairs, charger availability, excessive nanny tech, range anxiety.

Those are just some of the dealbreakers of that option.

What if you need a quiet vehicle that doesn't scare away the animals?

Reactions: psrivats
What if you need a quiet vehicle that doesn't scare away the animals?

I’m no hunter, but my understanding is that it is unlawful to hunt from a motor vehicle.

If that is to be followed, one must park their Jeep and walk some distance to their stand, so as not to be near the gas/oil smells.

But if moving is necessary, and the car sounds/smells are too detrimental, there is always the option of walking or bicycling.

Last edited: