What year is the best TJ?

Damn, that's crazy!
its because after March 2001 they started basing road tax on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. 323 g/km and 21 mpg in a two door vehicle puts you in VED tax band M (£505). where as all the others would be in band K (£290). It played a factor in me choosing mine.

Reactions: 94c2500
its because after March 2001 they started basing road tax on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. 323 g/km and 21 mpg in a two door vehicle puts you in VED tax band M (£505). where as all the others would be in band K (£290). It played a factor in me choosing mine.

Can't blame you for that! What an interesting law, never knew about that until now.

Depends on the rig. I've watched the adventures of some where the motor has had to be rebuilt a couple of times under warranty and they still aren't right. I'd consider the OPDA to be the Achilles Heel of that year spread. It is as much of a problem as the non TUPY 0331 head is in that year range. I'd also put the gas fill overflow issue right up there with being a not so good thing.

The issues aren't bad enough to not buy one, but they also don't make me want to run out and hunt one down either.

03 and 04 in the Rubicon trims are pretty nice but the 42RLE can be a regearing nightmare if you wind up with the harmonic vibes.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that there are none to avoid and none to seek out. I sold a Rubi cheap because I can NOT stand dark blue or dark paint. I would rather own a bone stock white 97 than a Rubi Unlimited in dark blue or black.

I replaced my OPDA with a redesigned unit that fixed the flaw. It was $100.

The "Best" TJ is very subjective. Everyone here has a picture in their head of the perfect TJ, and / or experience with numerous TJ's. The best TJ is the one that fits that picture or experience. I bought a 1999 SE with no options other than air conditioning. Seriously stripped down base model. It is perfect for my needs and desires. Very low miles, strong 4 banger, good AX5 transmission, etc. I almost didn't buy it because it had air conditioning though. My perfect TJ was one that didn't have any bells and whistles to break and a minimum of moving parts. I've had great luck and a lot of experience with the Jeep 4 banger. The Dana 30 / Dana 35 axles didn't bother me, as they will get replaced if / when they get to be a problem. Same with the AX5 transmission. This Jeep fit my needs and wants perfectly. The reason that it was such a great deal for price was that almost no one else wants a stripped out base model TJ. So, the answer to what is the "Best" TJ is very subjective and depends on what you want.

The flip side of the coin is that it is looking less and less like my TJ is going to stay stock. But, I'm not tossing out good parts to replace them with great parts. There is a cost savings there.

"Best" is a relative thing.

I can tell you that when the TJ was brand new the top end model was the Rubicon which was produced from 2003-2006.

Is the Rubicon the best model? Well, if we are comparing stock versus stock then yes, it most certainly is.

I purchased a Rubicon for the upgraded axles, lockers, transfer case and the fact that a Rubicon always has a higher resale value.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

I Agree with Chris,
If you happen to, God Willing, come across one... Well I have a 2013 10-A Rubicon 2 door and I thank God everyday for being able to own one!
The other day I took my wife and her brother out and I happened to see a Dark Green TJ pull out of the parking lot and my jaw dropped! I don't even think it was a Rubicon, it may have been a Sahara, however, I recall telling my wife it was an amazing Jeep! We don't have a lot of issues without Snow and Salt on the streets here in Miami, I can tell you straight up, I am seeing more TJ's around town and believe me, some of these look almost Brand New!

I also believe that one has to research the vehicles history to ensure it was well maintained. Beings a licensed Aircraft Mechanic,
I always keep my oil change and PM documents in the event Someone where to ask me if it was well maintained.
Stay safe,
ELBRAVO, aka Rocky from Miami Florida

Reactions: Chris
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

I Agree with Chris,
If you happen to, God Willing, come across one... Well I have a 2013 10-A Rubicon 2 door and I thank God everyday for being able to own one!
The other day I took my wife and her brother out and I happened to see a Dark Green TJ pull out of the parking lot and my jaw dropped! I don't even think it was a Rubicon, it may have been a Sahara, however, I recall telling my wife it was an amazing Jeep! We don't have a lot of issues without Snow and Salt on the streets here in Miami, I can tell you straight up, I am seeing more TJ's around town and believe me, some of these look almost Brand New!

I also believe that one has to research the vehicles history to ensure it was well maintained. Beings a licensed Aircraft Mechanic,
I always keep my oil change and PM documents in the event Someone where to ask me if it was well maintained.
Stay safe,
ELBRAVO, aka Rocky from Miami Florida
You are very fortunate to live down south because of the salt issue, something that strikes me to the core. Hate salted roads. When I bought my '97 dark green Sahara the last owner had 80% of the frame replaced, which almost stopped me from the purchase but runs straight and true. I actually made an undercoating for the undercarriage. Hate salt.

You are very fortunate to live down south because of the salt issue, something that strikes me to the core. Hate salted roads. When I bought my '97 dark green Sahara the last owner had 80% of the frame replaced, which almost stopped me from the purchase but runs straight and true. I actually made an undercoating for the undercarriage. Hate salt.

Zero salted roads up here as well in the PNW (Pacific Northwest). It's one of the reasons that TJs fetch such a high amount up here on the second hand market. I paid 19k for my rust free 2005 Rubicon which is what they sell for all day long.

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
Another couple model year 4.0L engines I'd think twice about before buying... late '99 after they went to the coil rail ignition system up to about 2002. Those years had the notorious 0331 head on the engine which is known to crack even on well maintained 4.0L engines.

My TJ's date code is 07 / 2003, do I have a good or bad head casting?
I know it's original, and previous owner who bought the jeep when new never had it off.

Just call me paranoid...

Holy thread revival, Batman! Awakened a sleeping 'which year TJ is best' talk from back in the day...Chris lived in an Oregon world with no salt on the roads; StG58 had no plans to mod his squirrel-powered SE...life was simpler back in aught-15...

Of course 2004 is the best year TJ. It's the one I have!

2nd year of the Rubicon, and no opda issues...perfect.

Last edited:
2005 may be the best. The reasons are obvious...it's what I have.

Reactions: MonkeyMike
Holy thread revival, Batman! Awakened a sleeping 'which year TJ is best' talk from back in the day...Chris lived in an Oregon world with no salt on the roads; StG58 had no plans to mod his squirrel-powered SE...life was simpler back in aught-15...

Of course 2004 is the best year TJ. It's the one I have!

2nd year of the Rubicon, and no opda issues...perfect.
THE PEER PRESURE, THE PRESSURE...

I laughed out load at that one.

Reactions: MonkeyMike
@Jerry Bransford your expertise is def an asset to this wonderful forum but I really think you're fear mongering with the OPDA issue. The replacement part fixes the issue and even just buying the MOPAR version and every 60k miles a part of routine maintenance wouldn't be a big deal.

I've got a 2006 with the crown OPDA and my stock OPDA with 80k miles showed zero abnormal wear. I just changed it with the crown because it's such an easy fix and for $100, no big deal.

I'd be more apt to warn world about zinc depleted liberal oil being used in our engines (thanks Obama) than the OPDA.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very important and I think it's cool you take your time to warn people about the OPDA but ignoring all the awesomeness of the 05/06 LJR and because of that one part is overkill.

I'm only saying this because I have an 06 and want to be able to say that I have the very best year make model ever made. ;-)