What year is the best TJ?

My TJ's date code is 07 / 2003, do I have a good or bad head casting?
I know it's original, and previous owner who bought the jeep when new never had it off.

Just call me paranoid...

I'm new to the jeep world ('06, 4.0, 45k) and I've decided not to read anything on here within 2hrs of bed time because I won't sleep if I do! Lol! I wouldn't call you paranoid in the least! I'll be ordering a new OPDA tonight, and I'm not sure I want to wait until I find out if mine is bad to install it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boss's 06 Rubi started squawking, so he replaced it with a Napa Echlin unit, then drilled a hole in the side of the shaft and threaded a grease zerk to the problem area.

2003 is by far the best year. First year of the Rubicon, updated interior, end of discussion.;)

Mine has Age anxiety issues...being born in 97, labelled as 98' but registered in New Zealand as a 99' ...I'm guessing because of the time difference between the countries :facepalm: lol

2003 or 2004. Because you can get the Rubicon model, but avoid the dreaded OPDA issue on the 05-06 models.

The best year of TJ, hands down, is the one you own and wheel. The rest is just details.

I am very happy with my 2006 TJ X edition. No OPDA issues so far. Miles are over 100k don't remember the exact number plus whatever the odometer reads is wrong anyways since I never corrected the speedo gears lol. Speedometer has been off since I first put on larger tires back in 2006 LOL

Reactions: JMT
I'd say the 03's and 04's and i'll tell you why.... The 99's through 2002 had the bad cylinder heads. Also the 05's and 06's had some oil pump issue. The one's before 99 had problems with cracked exhaust manifolds.

Every year has issues.. check out the TSB and recalls.

Instead of focusing on years, focus on condition, history, and past ownership.

Reactions: Starrs
@Jerry Bransford your expertise is def an asset to this wonderful forum but I really think you're fear mongering with the OPDA issue. The replacement part fixes the issue and even just buying the MOPAR version and every 60k miles a part of routine maintenance wouldn't be a big deal.

I tend to agree with this. Having owned a 2006 and now a 2005, both required the OPDA to be replaced under warranty, then no further problems. That said, I purchased the Crown ODPA a couple of years ago just to have it at hand, and it's just sat in its box.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that there are none to avoid and none to seek out. I sold a Rubi cheap because I can NOT stand dark blue or dark paint. I would rather own a bone stock white 97 than a Rubi Unlimited in dark blue or black.

haha thats how i feel about red

Reactions: Starrs