What year is the best TJ?

Crown OPDA is like $100 and is a perm fix and easy to install.
It seems the OPDA is either a death sentence or easily fixed with a new part. I really wish there would be more consistency with this issue. It really doesn’t bother me if it is going to happen to my jeep or not. I really think it just boils down to who you want to listen to and who you don’t. I guess everybody that owns a 2005-2006 should just go ahead and do the fix, but some ppl claim even if you do it this does not solve the problem. So what is the point of wasting 100 bucks if it doesn’t fix it?

It seems the OPDA is either a death sentence or easily fixed with a new part. I really wish there would be more consistency with this issue. It really doesn’t bother me if it is going to happen to my jeep or not. I really think it just boils down to who you want to listen to and who you don’t. I guess everybody that owns a 2005-2006 should just go ahead and do the fix, but some ppl claim even if you do it this does not solve the problem. So what is the point of wasting 100 bucks if it doesn’t fix it?

I have never heard of the Crown OPDA failing, but that’s anecdotal... I bought it for peace of mind. My original OPDA had very little wear.

If you really want to protect it, get the Crown and use zinc fortified oils, like Royal Purple HPS.

Reactions: Starrs

Just be aware of it and use common sense.

The TSB from chrylser gives alot of info that helps ground any anxiety.

Only 16k vehicles were affected, and they replaced the OPDA with a working one.

And in response to those who suggest Chrysler only provided a band-aid solution...
It makes no sense to put in a broken OPDA as a replacement. The labor costs alone for Chrysler would dictate an actual solution.

The TSB gives explicit directions to dealerships on how to rectify the problem, down to the driiling a new hole in a pin.

TSB Excerpt.......
Revised June 2005

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Customer Satisfaction Notification E05
Oil Pump Drive Gear

A revised drive gear parts package has been released. The second roll pin hole must be drilled in the revised drive gear.

So be aware of it.. listen for it... occassionally inspect it... and definetly enjoy your Jeep.

Reactions: Starrs
If you had to choose one: 2004 Rubicon with 78k vs a 1998 Sahara with 127k. Both for around the same price although more risk buying the Rubicon since I cant see it. Rubicon was scrapped and shot with a coating for the undercarriage protection. From the NE. The Sahara is an AZ vehicle with minimum rust. Both start and run fine

If you had to choose one: 2004 Rubicon with 78k vs a 1998 Sahara with 127k. Both for around the same price although more risk buying the Rubicon since I cant see it. Rubicon was scrapped and shot with a coating for the undercarriage protection. From the NE. The Sahara is an AZ vehicle with minimum rust. Both start and run fine

I’d never buy a vehicle I couldn’t see, TJ or otherwise. I like the much newer Rubicon with far fewer miles but given that it’s from the rustbelt & has the undercoating crap they’re two red flags you can’t ignore. Unless you can crawl under the ruby & confirm that rust isn’t an issue I’d stick with the known quantity of the AZ one

Awesome. Thank you so much for the response. This is exactly the type of answer I was hoping to get to help my decision. Thanks again!

@MCSlater... x2 on Willy's advice.

Keep in mind.. it doesnt take too much to build a jeep to out preform a rubicon.

Also.. most of the trails you will likely run, the jeep is already capable of doing.