Where is this fluid coming from?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
Went to go check zip ties under the Jeep because I recently installed a aux transmission cooler. As I was checking I noticed some type of fluid but I’m not too sure what exactly it is. It’s right next to the engine oil pan if I’m not mistaken (my knowledge of vehicles isn’t the best but hey... we’re learning).

Interesting... just had the oil pan and gasket changed with OEM parts around 3 months ago when I got the Jeep.

Did you do it?

If there was a bit of dirt or improper prep and cleaning it could have caused a leak again shortly after.

Not sure what other fluid there could be in that area. Now is that the starter there? That could also be coming down from the oil filter. May be worth to wipe it off and check again in 7 days to see if it develops could be left over from when they did the work?

Last edited:
The backside of the valve cover gasket is a common leak. It drips down on the backside of the engine and can often be mistaken for a pan leak. Take a look. You can see it if that's the case if you're looking for it directly.

Did you do it?

If there was a bit of dirt or improper prep and cleaning it could have caused a leak again shortly after.
I didn't do it. When I first got the Jeep I had a mechanic fix it for me. Thankfully he warranties all of his work for a year, so if that is the case it's a free fix.
The backside of the valve cover gasket is a common leak. It drips down on the backside of the engine and can often be mistaken for a pan leak. Take a look. You can see it if that's the case if you're looking for it directly.
When I had gotten the oil pan/gasket changed (because I also had to get my rear main seal fixed) my mechanic also changed the valve cover gasket. I'll take a look right now. It was dark at the time of me looking at it so I should be able to see a lot more clearer now.

Update: Went to go check earlier and noticed that there was nothing there. Dried up? I'll have to maybe check when I drive it a bit more to see if it was something leaking. Could have possibly been water that splashed up but nothing else around it was wet so that chances of that happening are very slim.

Reactions: madcanvis