Votes: 3 8.6%
  • ECGS 489 30-spline Dana 44

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • ECGS 31-spline 8.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else?!

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
$3,000 to my door, yes very expensive. All the reading I have done says they are extremely strong. I was hoping the research I’ve done was true...
A buddy had me swap out his Currie High 9 with the one from Tru. It arrived in a cardboard box that you would not ship boots in. Single wall, third was just tossed in on a lot of newspaper, the air line for the ARB was banged up and it was a mouse fart away from blowing out the sides of the box and making itself a present to some sod in the UPS warehouse.

This was not right after Tru started, they had been in business several years. If you as a company can't figure out how to ship heavy expensive items, then hire someone who can or stop shipping. Dumbest thing I'd seen in awhile, well, except for the requirement to run 7 quarts of gear oil in a front.

If it wasn’t mrblanes idea, it was a bad one in his self important, egotistical, neurotic mind.

Stop being a 'tard already. He stated that he did not want to put a super kit in the 35 which would be plenty for what he is doing. That leaves a few other choices but a 2500 dollar third should not be one of them. That is a ridiculous choice for mild wheeling and street use. Makes about as much sense in this case as a Rockwell top loader.

Reactions: pc1p and derekmac
A buddy had me swap out his Currie High 9 with the one from Tru. It arrived in a cardboard box that you would not ship boots in. Single wall, third was just tossed in on a lot of newspaper, the air line for the ARB was banged up and it was a mouse fart away from blowing out the sides of the box and making itself a present to some sod in the UPS warehouse.

This was not right after Tru started, they had been in business several years. If you as a company can't figure out how to ship heavy expensive items, then hire someone who can or stop shipping. Dumbest thing I'd seen in awhile, well, except for the requirement to run 7 quarts of gear oil in a front.
That’s definitely off putting. You’d think it’d show up enveloped in bubble wrap, spray foam and a couple goose down pillows...

Reactions: Mrhp
Mrblane, he Asked for my opinion, not yours, cupcake.
It is good to see that your understanding of how forums work is as deep as your understanding of rear axles. From the first line in his first post.

Hello everyone. First post here. Looking for advice/opinions...

He stated that he did not want to put a super kit in the 35 which would be plenty for what he is doing. That leaves a few other choices
A couple questions around what you stated here...
You’d be confident in a Super35 behind the Hemi? I’ve been reading that the still small ring and pinion do not like constant higher torque output at all. Especially with bigger heavier tires. I obviously do not know myself firsthand...
Also, you said that leaves a few other choices. Besides a Super35 and a TJ Dana 44. What else would you suggest?

A couple questions around what you stated here...
You’d be confident in a Super35 behind the Hemi? I’ve been reading that the still small ring and pinion do not like constant higher torque output at all. Especially with bigger heavier tires. I obviously do not know myself firsthand...
Also, you said that leaves a few other choices. Besides a Super35 and a TJ Dana 44. What else would you suggest?
The smaller ring gears don't like shock loads. Straight torque isn't nearly as bad. Look at how many Dana 30 low pinion fronts get wheeled on 35's and that's on the wrong side or coast side.

Unless you plan on dumping the clutch, straight torque isn't nearly as much of an issue. We can wheel the Super 35 in JV which is high torque with no issues.

Does G2 make a bolt in TJ rear 44?

Reactions: Chris
You’d have to be driving very stupidly to break a super 35 with 33s on an over landing trip. My super 35 has held up great through the last few years on really difficult trails both on 33s and 35s.

The smaller ring gears don't like shock loads. Straight torque isn't nearly as bad. Look at how many Dana 30 low pinion fronts get wheeled on 35's and that's on the wrong side or coast side.

Unless you plan on dumping the clutch, straight torque isn't nearly as much of an issue. We can wheel the Super 35 in JV which is high torque with no issues.

Does G2 make a bolt in TJ rear 44?
Understood. I know I absolutely need to get away from the 27-spline axles. I’ve already blown the differential up once with a lot less power and tire...
Yes, G2 and ECGS both have bolt in TJ Dana 44s. ECGS also has a 489 JK based TJ bolt in Dana 44. All $3,000+ to $3,500+...
I’m not overly worried about cost. That’s why the bolt in Currie 60 made the list. Currie basically told me it’d live forever in my current TJ. I just don’t know if it’s the best choice...

While I don't own a Super 35, I've seen enough of them wheel first hand to feel 100% confident to say that with what your plans are you would be 100% find with a Super 35, even with the Hemi.

Understood. I know I absolutely need to get away from the 27-spline axles. I’ve already blown the differential up once with a lot less power and tire...
Yes, G2 and ECGS both have bolt in TJ Dana 44s. ECGS also has a 489 JK based TJ bolt in Dana 44. All $3,000+ to $3,500+...
I’m not overly worried about cost. That’s why the bolt in Currie 60 made the list. Currie basically told me it’d live forever in my current TJ. I just don’t know if it’s the best choice...
I'm a big fan of the Currie HP rear 60, I just don't think you need it. I install and set up several per year if that matters. Currie is correct but philosophically I have issues with a 60.5" rear 60. If you need a 60, it won't be that narrow.

You’d have to be driving very stupidly to break a super 35 with 33s on an over landing trip. My super 35 has held up great through the last few years on really difficult trails both on 33s and 35s.
The term Overlanding may be misleading for some people. A lot of people think it’s just paved roads for a long distance. Where I go has plenty of that but also a fair share of rough terrain, stair step ledges and rocks. Now add my torque curve. Carnage on occasion...

The term Overlanding may be misleading for some people. A lot of people think it’s just paved roads for a long distance. Where I go has plenty of that but also a fair share of rough terrain, stair step ledges and rocks. Now add my torque curve. Carnage on occasion...
You added some to the definition. That is overlanding with some actual wheeling thrown in. If you are bumping up ledges, Currie it is.

I'm a big fan of the Currie HP rear 60, I just don't think you need it. I install and set up several per year if that matters. Currie is correct but philosophically I have issues with a 60.5" rear 60. If you need a 60, it won't be that narrow.
I’ve always wondered what the application for a 60.5” Dana 60 was. I suppose bulletproof for someone that wants to bump up everything in JV but on 35s?

One issue with the 60 is that you're only running 33's. You'll lose ground clearance under the diff, if i'm not mistaken. Maybe currie has a high clearance design...

Reactions: JMT