How do Metalcloak coil springs limit up travel vs other springs? I just don't understand the idea like I said above.
Assuming your chart is correct, in this particular example, the Currie 4" spring will limit travel before the 4.5" MC does. But in reality, once you get a shock with more travel and a longer compressed length, it will likely be the shock limiting up travel. The reason people say generalized statements like:..."MC springs limit up travel vs other springs" is because the rear MC springs bind up sooner than the Currie.

The MC springs are dual rate, not progressive rate. This means the top of the spring is one rate and the lower is another rate, but in MC case, the top rate is so low that the spring is already compressed under the weight of the rig into a solid coil (like a spacer). The only time it opens up is when the weight of the rig is less than the spring rate and allows it too (as you mention, under droop). Big deal, who cares. Because it’s a solid coil normally it’s only the lower spring that can compress. There’s not as much coil spring as linear or progressive rate springs, so it compresses sooner, thus requiring more bumpstop. Not sure that’s perfectly clear, but I tried. It’s a dumb idea for sure.
Yes that does make sense, thank you. The part that confuses me is when people say they limit up travel, but the listed height when they go solid isn’t really any different than comparable coil springs (my examples of the chart posted above).

Assuming your chart is correct, in this particular example, the Currie 4" spring will limit travel before the 4.5" MC does. But in reality, once you get a shock with more travel and a longer compressed length, it will likely be the shock limiting up travel. The reason people say generalized statements like:..."MC springs limit up travel vs other springs" is because the rear MC springs bind up sooner than the Currie.
That also explains it. You seem to understand it with the same viewpoint as I do. Thanks.

If you can find someone getting rid of 4" ProComp springs they were & I think still are considered a decent all around spring.
My TJ had a 4" ProComp kit on it when I bought it. The shocks and control arms SUCK but the springs were actually pretty good. They at least are a get you through until you can afford the system you want.

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj
The MC springs are dual rate, not progressive rate. This means the top of the spring is one rate and the lower is another rate, but in MC case, the top rate is so low that the spring is already compressed under the weight of the rig into a solid coil (like a spacer). The only time it opens up is when the weight of the rig is less than the spring rate and allows it too (as you mention, under droop). Big deal, who cares. Because it’s a solid coil normally it’s only the lower spring that can compress. There’s not as much coil spring as linear or progressive rate springs, so it compresses sooner, thus requiring more bumpstop. Not sure that’s perfectly clear, but I tried. It’s a dumb idea for sure.
There are no progressive springs on the market. Rockjock, savvy, Currie, Rancho... doesn't matter they are all going to follow physics the same. Companies can vary spring rate by changing the pitch, or the distance between the coils. And while it's true for every pitch change, there is a spring rate change, when the spring is compressed they all average out to a single linear rate. Research dual and triple spring coil-overs if you want to understand more. Doesn't matter if there are two, three, or four pitch changes. The only time a spring can actually change rates is when one coil collapses onto another coil, then both of the touching coils are removed from consideration. Then, and only then, the remaining coils determine the overall spring rate.

As for the MC spring, it would have been more accurate and say "linear spring with a build-in tender coil".

The only thing dumb about the MC spring is that in the rear it limits up travel more than necessary. If your shock is going to limit up travel before the spring, then it doesn't matter. It's just another bent steel rod, just like the rest.

A
I had 4.25" of lift, and 5" up and 5" down for travel with mine until I put the 65# bumper, and 69# winch. Then my springs up front sagged to 3" I don't consider that exactly a heavy rig. Now with no bumper or winch, it's 3.25" I just added 1" spacers to get my shocks back to 50/50. I also have a 1"body lift. I only need 2" of bump stop. The jounce cup and extension above it, are 5" so 1.5 of bump for 6.5"
This is definitely not good. These were the 3.5 inch Metalcloak coils? 4 cyl or 6 cyl? How long until they sagged?
I have a KD Fab front bumper (weight unknown) and a Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch (78 lbs I think). I would like to keep the front at about 4 inches of lift, how it is now. My Jeep is 4cyl with soft top and half doors.

Reactions: Wildman
There are no progressive springs on the market. Rockjock, savvy, Currie, Rancho... doesn't matter they are all going to follow physics the same. Companies can vary spring rate by changing the pitch, or the distance between the coils. And while it's true for every pitch change, there is a spring rate change, when the spring is compressed they all average out to a single linear rate. Research dual and triple spring coil-overs if you want to understand more. Doesn't matter if there are two, three, or four pitch changes. The only time a spring can actually change rates is when one coil collapses onto another coil, then both of the touching coils are removed from consideration. Then, and only then, the remaining coils determine the overall spring rate.

As for the MC spring, it would have been more accurate and say "linear spring with a build-in tender coil".

The only thing dumb about the MC spring is that in the rear it limits up travel more than necessary. If your shock is going to limit up travel before the spring, then it doesn't matter. It's just another bent steel rod, just like the rest.
After looking at the chart for the rear more closely, I see how the Metalcloak rear coils could limit up travel sooner vs others. I missed that before I guess.

Reactions: Wildman
A

This is definitely not good. These were the 3.5 inch Metalcloak coils? 4 cyl or 6 cyl? How long until they sagged?
I have a KD Fab front bumper (weight unknown) and a Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch (78 lbs I think). I would like to keep the front at about 4 inches of lift, how it is now. My Jeep is 4cyl with soft top and half doors.
Yes 3.5" coils with a 6cyl. Had 4.25 for about 2.5 years, until I added the weight. After 4 months, I was down to 3" front and 3.5 with just my 35 on back. Factory rear bumper. I had sandbags in it for a while, to help the ride. I also loaded it up with supplies a few times. I wouldn't have expected it to sag like that. Even after removing the bumper at 4 months, it only went up to 3.25". I added the factory bumper, and an aluminum winch plate, and it stayed at 3.25. I too was hoping to keep around 4" when I got them. Just put 1" spacers on it today.

Yes 3.5" coils with a 6cyl. Had 4.25 for about 2.5 years, until I added the weight. After 4 months, I was down to 3" front and 3.5 with just my 35 on back. Factory rear bumper. I had sandbags in it for a while, to help the ride. I also loaded it up with supplies a few times. I wouldn't have expected it to sag like that. Even after removing the bumper at 4 months, it only went up to 3.25". I added the factory bumper, and an aluminum winch plate, and it stayed at 3.25. I too was hoping to keep around 4" when I got them. Just put 1" spacers on it today.

This alone might steer me away from the MC coils. Hope your Jeep is feeling and looking better now. :cool:

Reactions: EricT77 and Wildman

Your first paragraph makes a lot of sense. So, it’s true that a coil spring can have variable spring rates due to pitch or distance between the coils. If so then the RockJock/Currie 4” have a variable spring rate, right? The coils are closer at the top than the bottom. I think the average rate is of those coils is around 115in/lb based on weight added/taken away and measuring the coil. Average rate is the rate only until the upper coils collapse, then the rate is only the lower rate. Is that all correct?

Your first paragraph makes a lot of sense. So, it’s true that a coil spring can have variable spring rates due to pitch or distance between the coils. If so then the RockJock/Currie 4” have a variable spring rate, right? The coils are closer at the top than the bottom. I think the average rate is of those coils is around 115in/lb based on weight added/taken away and measuring the coil. Average rate is the rate only until the upper coils collapse, then the rate is only the lower rate. Is that all correct?
The lower rate coils will collapse first and then you'll be left with the higher rate. So you almost had it. (Edit: I think I misunderstood you due to wording).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. @kmas0n

The Rockjock variable rate spring will behave exactly as any other spring until the coils start stacking up. As each winding lays down on the one below it, it becomes a dead coil, and the overall spring rate will increase. Take a coil thats 10" long with a rate of 100in/lb. Then manufacture the same coil but twice as long. This new coil will be 20" long, but have a rate of 50in/lb. As a coil get shorter its capacity to hold weight increases. By having a variable pitch the manufacturer has the capacity to tune when the spring has more capacity to support additional weight.

It's very important to stress this... this increased spring rate only affects the capacity of the spring to hold up weight. Not ride quality and not the capacity of the spring to slow suspension cycles, such as a big hit or jump. Trying to tune your suspension by spring rate is nearly identical to trying to tune by adding gym-style weight plates to the bumpers... you can probably get some perceived change, but it's retarded.

They are progressively wound, they do not have a progressive rate. The rate is almost 100% linear. The factory is the only supplier of actual progressive rate springs and then only on the rear of the TJ. If you take a pair of calipers to one you will quickly note that they used a single piece of wire, tapered both ends for several turns to a fat middle section. The only way you can build an actual progressive rate spring.

Strange on your comparison, when i was running Metal Cloak springs the solid height was 1" more than Currie. Switching to currie netted me that extra inch of uptravel. Maybe they changed the dimensions since a couple years ago.

Strange on your comparison, when i was running Metal Cloak springs the solid height was 1" more than Currie. Switching to currie netted me that extra inch of uptravel. Maybe they changed the dimensions since a couple years ago.
Interesting. I pulled the chart info from the resources thread here on the forum. Was this 1 inch difference true for you front and rear?

Interesting. I pulled the chart info from the resources thread here on the forum. Was this 1 inch difference true for you front and rear?
I was dealing with it specifically in the rear, since i went to coilovers up front.

@TJ_Tim I got about 3.25" in the front, 3.5" in the rear. The downside to the coils is the limited up travel.
Mine are for sale if you want to give them a shot.
Thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping to get a little more lift than that out of them. My Jeep may be lighter than yours just by looking at your profile. You switched to Savvy 3 inch coils? How much lift did those get you and your thoughts on them?

Thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping to get a little more lift than that out of them. My Jeep may be lighter than yours just by looking at your profile. You switched to Savvy 3 inch coils? How much lift did those get you and your thoughts on them?
The Savvy 3" coils got me about 2.75" of lift in the front, and I ended up adding a 10mm trim spacer. The Rear springs netted me right around 3.25-3.5" of lift,

I have some MC 4" springs for sale. 🤘