Who likes to fish?

Live on Long Island, don't get to Montauk as often as I like but when I do...
IMG_0957.jpg

Also King salmon on Lake Ontario
IMG_3951.jpg

Fishing in Arizona sucked but now that we moved back to PA, I'm excited to get back into it (same with golf and skiing). I've kept most of my AZ fishing gear but will need to restock my supplies (waders, fly equipment, etc). I used to spend the majority of winter tying flies and ice fishing when I had the chance. Now that we have a lake house, we are all eagerly waiting for the lake to freeze over and can get some ice fishing in (my kids have not had the chance yet).

Fishing in Arizona sucked but now that we moved back to PA, I'm excited to get back into it (same with golf and skiing). I've kept most of my AZ fishing gear but will need to restock my supplies (waders, fly equipment, etc). I used to spend the majority of winter tying flies and ice fishing when I had the chance. Now that we have a lake house, we are all eagerly waiting for the lake to freeze over and can get some ice fishing in (my kids have not had the chance yet).
Fishing AZ is different. The tail waters in the 4 corners area has been a blast for example.

I still get out into the SW area of Colorado (not well known but some great fishing) and even into the Wasatch drainage area for some great fishing within a long weekends window.

Reactions: pc1p
I'm a lazy fisherman, I use bait on my trips into Sierra lakes and streams looking for trout. Hook and cook is my motto. Caught these on salmon eggs.
View attachment 293994
Big fan of Panther Martin, Mepps with single hook and 1/4 crawler.. Have a buddy who likes corn. I say, "fish are carnivores, not vegetarians".

Big fan of Panther Martin, Mepps with single hook and 1/4 crawler.. Have a buddy who likes corn. I say, "fish are carnivores, not vegetarians".
I like Thomas Bouyants if I'm using a lure, though I do have a few Mepps and Kastmasters in the box.

Oh yea. Mostly salmon, steelhead, bass, and walleye plus fly fishing for trout. But I'll fish for just about anything anywhere other than maybe carp.

Live on Long Island, don't get to Montauk as often as I like but when I do...
View attachment 293987

Also King salmon on Lake Ontario
View attachment 293988
I had a fun time last fall fishing for kings and Steelies on the salmon river in Pulaski. Fished the DSR a couple days it was cold as hell and long days but nothing like a King salmon on a fly rod!

Reactions: cliffish
I live for opening day of trout season. I'm out every chance I get until the water temps get too warm.
I mainly use my ultralight setup with spinnners, Panther Martins are my favorite.
My one son usually accompanies me, he loves fishing also.
I do have a really nice fly rod also, but just can't get the knack of it.

Reactions: pc1p and JMT
It can be fun with a good group of people. More like a bbq or cookout on ice really. The fishing is just a bonus. Some guys are hardcore tho.

I grew up in SW Michigan, but in about '82, my folks decided that is wasn't cold enough anymore and we moved to Alaska.
Dad worked for Fish & Game in both states, so we always had the "inside track" on where to go, what bait, etc.
I've caught more salmon than most will ever see. My mom caught a 486 pound Halibut one year. Damn thing was a big as a barn door.

I took up fishing again a few years ago here in SoCal because my wife's folks lived on a private lake known for bass (Canyon Lake), and we've pulled out more than our fair share over the years; always catch & release to ensure next years haul.

My wife caught the biggest bass I've ever seen there last year; damn thing was as long as her forearm and as big around as my thigh. I've caught a ton of 5-6 pounders, and this could have eaten every one of them.

We recently did a bit of fishing while we were in Big Bear, but we didn't catch anything.

I came to fishing kind of late, but have enjoyed it since taking it up.
We ocean fish in Northern CA Halibut, salmon, lingcod, and a variety of rock fish. On occasion we will take sharks but rarely. We take Dungeness crab and horseneck clams on a regular basis.

800C9B68-294C-4C9D-BFE5-B4D93DB0B90B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p and Wtrask
Got another chance to go out to Montauk, caught a 5lb fluke, tons of seabass and porgies.
montauk1.jpg

Lost the first hour of the charter rescuing 2 older kayakers that thought it would be good to launch from the beach off Montauk point and they both got caught in the rip currents and dragged out.

montauk2.jpg

In the same marina, Jimmy Buffets 4 boats all color matched in his blue. The biggest one must have been out fishing.
montauk3.jpg

Turns out - living on a lake has been awesome!

IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg

One of the local guys who fishes our lake taught me how to use a Senko and I've been catching bass all summer. Probably landed 60+ already by now (2-3 per hour of fishing on average). Been watching lots of Roland Martin videos, as well as TacticalBassin' to learn some of the modern techniques. Been way fun as I was never into bass fishing when I lived in PA the first time (we only did trout fishing).