Why the hate for snorkels?

Here's a list of things that will never be on my Jeep.
Snorkel
Hi-Lift Jack (especially across the hood)
Pocket style fender flares (or any flares wider than Rubicon's)
Angry eyes
Stinger front bumper
Anything painted in dayglow colors
"If you can read this, flip me over" sticker
Gaudy led light bars
Wheels bigger than 15"
I agree.... still working on getting rid of the pocket fender flares that a prior owner put on though. Not my fault. I do believe they *look* good, but functionally no... I plan to go to MCE fenders.

you know now that i think about it, you could design one to give even a 2.5 30 extra horsepower and add 10mpg. you could mount a tuba up at the roof level and it would act like a turbo forcing air to the intake. i should patent this idea, it will put the turbo companies out of business

• Haha
Reactions: DWR
My wife got me the Jeep for my retirement gift, she doesn't know anything about Jeep hell she won't even get in the Jeep, but anyway it came with an cold air intake reach I don't like much cause of the area I live at hot desert El Paso. I been looking at enclosed air intakes what do you guys think about this air intake https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-76202-momentum-gt-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system

Yeah I been looking around for factory air box. it's kinda hard to find I saw that enclosed air intake kinda figure it would do the same.
If you have a Facebook, do like I did; join a few Jeep groups and offer to trade for a stock air box for free... I had a response and traded within an hour!

Reactions: Agustin David
you know now that i think about it, you could design one to give even a 2.5 30 extra horsepower and add 10mpg. you could mount a tuba up at the roof level and it would act like a turbo forcing air to the intake. i should patent this idea, it will put the turbo companies out of business
Tuba+snorkel=Torquel

You’ll be rich in no time

Reactions: tr21triton
99% of Australian Tjs have a snorkel, 99% of Australian TJ,s are just mall crawlers, I put adding a snorkel in the same category as adding a lift and 35,s to 99% of TJ,s :Unnecessary but looks real Kool so WTF lol

Reactions: DWR
Try watching the 2019 Ultimate Adventure where they ran in Eureka or where they were denied getting to the bus on the Stampede Trail and maybe you will understand you do not need to go pond crawling to need to do something with the factory airbox opening.

It is a good design until you dip your nose into an icy Alaskan river and that well designed opening is then the lowest point in the engine bay and well below water. Just like you and I can drown in an inch of water so can a Tj drown in less water than you think when you have to make a near vertical drop to enter a water crossing. I get that snorkles are not aesthetically pleasing to some but they can and do serve a purpose for some as well. There are places up here I can not go because I have not done something about moving that opening.
I have this thing called a reverse gear, it allows me to drive backwards! That way if I need to go down a steep incline into water that potentially could go into the intake due to the severity of the angle alone, I can instead approach it backwards and have my intake as the high point! I swear the Jeep engineers are geniuses!

Had to channel my inner @mrblaine on this one... (I for one love his sarcasm and witty responses)

Last edited:
I had a similar idea, market a snorkel with E.T head on top wrapped in a blanket!

Reactions: tr21triton
I have this thing called a reverse gear, it allows me to drive backwards! That way if I need to go down a steep incline into water that potentially could go into the intake due to the severity of the angle alone, I can instead approach it backwards and have my intake as the high point! I swear the Jeep engineers are geniuses!

Had to channel my inner @mrblaine on this one... (I for one love his sarcasm and witty responses)
What do you do when you get to the other side Einstein?

Just noticed the new Bronco can be had in the "everglades edition" w/an OEM snorkel...they also offer versions w/fox coilovers and factory Warn winch. I'd actually love to have one despite my distaste for Ford. Problem is, I couldn't bring myself to use it off road as intended - at least till it was a few years old w/a nice set of dings already.