Winch with stock bumper?

Nice toggle for the end of the winch line! And nice job on the catches for the recovery hooks!

Thanks. Those are roller derby roller skate wheels (my daughter is in roller derby, my wife likes to skate). I ground some flats on them and ran a spare grade 5 bolt through them (without the bearings in them).

Reactions: jazngab
What brand of plate is that? Is the bolt for the roller skate wheels going through the same loop that captures the hook?

It's a quadratec, $70. I had a UCF years ago (on a different jeep) that I had to notch for the sway bar mounts. This one fit just fine, it did have little spacers to allow proper fitment of the sway bar mounts.

Yes, the bolt (I thought it should be at least grade 5), with fender washers, goes through the thimble. Without the flat spots, the hook would bind against the wheels and not swivel freely. The flats also allow it to seat nicely against the fairlead.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it was useful reading for me. I have one really dumb newbie question. With a flat winch plate, how are the bolts holding the winch onto the plate accomodated, surely the winch plate ends up sitting on the bolt heads? Or is a flat winch plate not completely flat with recesses for the bolt heads?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it was useful reading for me. I have one really dumb newbie question. With a flat winch plate, how are the bolts holding the winch onto the plate accomodated, surely the winch plate ends up sitting on the bolt heads? Or is a flat winch plate not completely flat with recesses for the bolt heads?

IMG_20210102_065937.jpg
IMG_20210102_070034.jpg

The bolts clear the bumper just fine. The rear bolts can be a little tough to reach, so it may be easier to bolt the winch to the plate before installing the plate on the bumper.

View attachment 214981 View attachment 214982
The bolts clear the bumper just fine. The rear bolts can be a little tough to reach, so it may be easier to bolt the winch to the plate before installing the plate on the bumper.
Many thanks fuse. It took me a while to get my head around the pictures, but if I understand correctly the winch plate is wider than the bumper, so the bolts attaching the winch to the plate 'straddle' the bumper. Is that correct?

Many thanks fuse. It took me a while to get my head around the pictures, but if I understand correctly the winch plate is wider than the bumper, so the bolts attaching the winch to the plate 'straddle' the bumper. Is that correct?
Yes, that's right. Clearance for the rear bolts isn't so good, which is why it can be easier to mount the winch on the plate before installing the plate.