Work Bench & Garage Version 2

Very nice. Might want a slight upward angle in case you bump into the shelves the grinder won't fall off. Also that will transfer the weight a little more towards the bracket.

Edit: like 10°-15° should be enough

Reactions: FarFire70
Very nice. Might want a slight upward angle in case you bump into the shelves the grinder won't fall off. Also that will transfer the weight a little more towards the bracket.

Edit: like 10°-15° should be enough

Agreed. That'd be the plan. Pics were a quick 30-sec 'would this work'. I'm thinking I'd put short bars below the grinder holders for the discs (bar would be at an angle too ;)). Just make a taller base plate.

I use a piece of flat stock and hang them by the wheel guard (no pic at the moment). Same sorta idea as the round bar, but doesn't require the handle (which is generally not mounted on my grinders).

Reactions: FarFire70
1000006161.jpg

Planning to repurpose this area with auto tools that are on the shelves now since this is a wasted 'catch all' right now that I throw in the extension cords but rarely grab till from...

Rehomed the auto related tools. Makes sense to me to have them here.

1000006190.jpg

Creates new shelf space

1000006191.jpg

Have to figure out where/how I plan to store extension cords. This will join my other pile to figure out. I'll figure out a new home for the drills too...

1000006192.jpg

This stuff goes to the basement.

1000006193.jpg

This workbench project has made me focus that the garage is about garage tools and the shed and basement can store the other tools...

Worked on the grinder storage solution.

I'm using 14ga since I have a 24"x48" section from when I bought some for repairs on my torque boxes. I think 1/8" would be sturdier but, once I mount it against the full plywood sheet on the side of the shelving unit, I think it'll be plenty sturdy.

Used angle iron as a straight edge. I tried to use it by pushing the griding disc across it but drifted on my first cut. Started using the iron as a guide for continuous plunge cuts and had much more success.

PXL_20240511_151547293.jpg

I'll be mounting it with 1/4" bolts I have lying around.

PXL_20240511_165403910.jpg

Used my HF Belt & Disc Sander for the first time. I really like how easy it was to get consistent angle grinds and add chamfers.

PXL_20240511_165407818.jpg

Definitely not my prettiest welds, but I think they'll hold up over time. I didn't do much to clean up any of the splatter since it's just a holding tools in the garage.

PXL_20240511_170121235.jpg

Primed it with self-etching primer front and back and hit the front with flat black. I'll get the back tomorrow.

PXL_20240511_220846944.jpg

Also put together a mounting plate for my vise on the workbench.

PXL_20240511_220844433.jpg

Took about 3 hours. I could have been quicker but I took a bit to get to learn the sander and figuring out a best approach for the straight cuts.

I'd use this experience to convince the wife that I need a plasma cutter. But I barely got 'approval' to spend these few hours in the garage on Mother's Day weekend.

So I won't push my luck, so I stay on this Earth...

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I'd use this experience to convince the wife that I need a plasma cutter. But I barely got 'approval' to spend these few hours in the garage on Mother's Day weekend.

So I won't push my luck, so I stay on this Earth...

Big, enclosed cabinets can hide a lot of tool purchases.

Just sayin’…

🙂

Last edited: