Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Wow, I can’t believe how many guys continued to argue that the GM fuel hose “fix” was an adequate solution.

FYI, my problem started with the splash back and progressed to the “cannot get gas in the tank“ situation.

i did a lot of research on this and I‘m pretty sure this problem is unique to 2005-2006 TJ’s. Possibly later models but I own a 2005 so I’m not going to research it. The tank and fuel pump changed after 2004.

Here is a handful of YouTube videos that i saved. Between them all, there should be enough information to save you some time dropping your tank, fixing the “actual problem” and re-installing. While i had it apart, I put a new Bosch fuel pump in from rock auto.

Good video on fuel tank removal for a 2004. The 2005-2006 passenger side emissions stuff is different, as well as the fuel pump, but it is good video.

I meant to add this also. I made a tool by notching a file with a grinder, to knock the fuel pump ring loose. better than a screwdriver. Use a little hand sledge and it will come loose. It may take a while. Move it around a bit to all the different slots. Same tool to re-install. Worked great. Mushroomed out the tang a bit. You do have to beat it to get it loose.

This is for the steel ring on the 2005-2006 fuel pump.

I ran my tank out before the project, since I had it planned. That way I could remove the small amount of gas and wipe out the tank, plus it was lighter and less messy/hazardous? My tank was pretty clean.

FBAA1FCE-5995-45BE-AC23-24B73AE09F87.jpeg

5328F31A-B482-4475-8720-BF6F917D39E1.jpeg

Last edited:
What a coincidence I ran across this thread today. Tomorrow I'm dropping my gas tank to fix a broken tank strap. I might as well do this since the tank will be down. Anyone ever snap the ears off the check valve cage? With my luck that will happen to me and I don't think that part is saleable. Wish me luck!! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: L J and Apparition
What a coincidence I ran across this thread today. Tomorrow I'm dropping my gas tank to fix a broken tank strap. I might as well do this since the tank will be down. Anyone ever snap the ears off the check valve cage? With my luck that will happen to me and I don't think that part is saleable. Wish me luck!! Thanks for the info.
It’s worth it, good luck

Reactions: L J
I’m glad this thread exists. Just did this today. Worked like a charm. Now I can get gas into the tank again. And it won’t splash me anymore.
Haha. That sounds like an infomercial skit.

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73 and J R
The Real Fix

The issue of gas "burping" out of the filler neck right after the pump clicks off when the tank is full is a fairly common issue among Jeep Wrangler TJs. The cause of this is the ethanol in the gas causing plastic parts in the Inlet Check Valve (ICV) to bind and not close quickly enough to prevent fuel back-splash when full.

Owners of 2005 - 2006 TJ Wranglers were left up shit creek by Chrysler and the NHTSA on this one. '07 and newer got a warranty extension (NHTSA closed the investigation taking the heat off Chrysler) '05-'06 owners got the shaft. There's almost no point I filing a complaint with NHTSA any more because our complaints were already dismissed as "Internet hype".

Using the GM hose to address the "fuel spit back" problem is a hack (see below for the "hack" fix). This technique was first posted in the Internet many years ago and has made the rounds enough times in the jeep forums that it has become permanently embedded in the collective knowledge base and won't go away.

The problem is caused by a sticking plastic overflow valve at the inlet to the fuel tank.

The actual fix is is to drop the tank, sand the nubs on the plastic piece in the overflow valve , reassemble the valve then raise the tank back in place. The only "part" required is a piece of sandpaper as shown in the video below.

The Temporary Fix

This is the original "fix" for the fuel spit back problem. While it will usually fix the problem, it is a band-aid at best, and should only be thought of as a temporary fix, whereas the above method is the actual long term fix.

This is how GM fixed the exact same problem in the Trailblazers, Envoys, Bravadas, etc.

Amazon has the replacement part for around $30 here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUCRISO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 376

View attachment 377

The bulge in the middle is a little flapper valve:

View attachment 378

Here's our lower hose that connects the filler tube to the tank:

View attachment 379

Here's a how to guide:
The inside diameters are identical. Cut 1 1/4"off the small end and 1 3/4" off the big end. I started out only cutting about 3/4" from the small end to make it the same length as our hose, but it can't make the bend without kinking. I cut some more off and it made for less of a bend and no kink. If you have a body lift, you'll probably need to cut less off. Start small, you can always cut more but once you cut it too short you're on your own...:

View attachment 380

View attachment 381

Swap your old clamps onto the GM part:

View attachment 382

The lower clamp has a little clip on it that you put at the top of the hose so you can feel that it's oriented right when you put in on the tank. The round notch on the GM hoseis there to align it with its intended tank, use it as a reference for installing the Jeep clamp. This is very important when it comes to re-installing the new hose. You'll have to feel for this clip because you won't be able to see it clearly:

View attachment 383

That's it!

Reinstall and you're done. I had to remove the 4 torx screws attaching the filler neck to the body to get the new hose on it. I didn't have to disconnect any other lines or take it completely out, but just needed to move the neck around to get the new hose on.

Removal and istallation on a TJ is extremely simple.

Access through lower wheel well cover:

View attachment 384

View attachment 385

Loosen the 2 hose clampsand remove the original rubber hose. (1/4" screw clamp upper & 5/16" screw clamp lower) I found it easier to remove the stock hose with the upper filler neck still attached to the body so I could pull down on it.

Cut GM hoseand swap Jeep clamps over (see previous posts).

Remove the 4 torxscrews attaching upper filler pipe to body. You don't have to remove the pipe completely. I didn't even disconnect the tank vent, axle vent, and locker pump lines. You'll only need to move and twist it around a bit to get the new hose on:

View attachment 386

View attachment 387

Install modified GM hose, tighten all fasteners, replace trim pieces as necessary - you're done!!!

Note: Make sure the hose is oriented correctly. If the flapper sits crooked or upside down it won't work right. The round notch on the big end of the GM hose before cutting it is for orienting it to its intended tank. You'll have to feel for the little clip on the Jeep hose clamp and make sure it sits at 12 o'clock on the tank inlet.

Here's the installed hose:

View attachment 388
I still have this problem, I have a NEW GEN RIGHT 31.5 gallon aluminum tank installed, first time at the gas pump with only 3 gallons in the tank...It spit fuel out and I can not fill it fast...

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I still have this problem, I have a NEW GEN RIGHT 31.5 gallon aluminum tank installed, first time at the gas pump with only 3 gallons in the tank...It spit fuel out and I can not fill it fast...
pinched vent line?

Congratulations for what you did with that tank. If you can, please add some photos!
Unfortunately we did not take any pictures while doing this job. It wasn’t too difficult though. Removing the valve from the inside of the tank was a bit nerve wracking because I was sure I’d snap some of the tabs off that hold it in. It took a good bit of pressure to undo it.

Reactions: J R
Unfortunately we did not take any pictures while doing this job. It wasn’t too difficult though. Removing the valve from the inside of the tank was a bit nerve wracking because I was sure I’d snap some of the tabs off that hold it in. It took a good bit of pressure to undo it.
Thank you for sharing these details!

Grateful for this post. But ... tried the "real fix" (as in the video) on my 97 today, and I don't seem to have a plunger at all ... just a ball, as in the photos below.

Is this a quirk of the 97 models? And if this is what my filler hose looks like on the inside of the tank, then how could I possibly have the burp/overflow problem anyway? The ball moves freely in the tube.

EDIT: I see now that @Vivalamigra says (in post #361) that he thinks this is a 2004–2006 issue. Maybe I don't actually have the same problem that others are describing on this thread. My issue was best described in an early post on this thread, by @RLD123, who said:

My 1997 TJ has an issue at the gas station.... while filling up, the gas pump will "click off" way too soon... and I end up with only about 3/4 of a tank of gas.... After the gas dispensing nozzle clicks off I can sometimes just "barley" squeeze the handle and allow a slow trickle of gas into my tank, it takes a while but I can finally get a full tank of gas.. I'm wondering if the MOD described in this link would address my issue.

IMG_5640.JPG IMG_5641.JPG

Last edited:
My 1997 TJ has an issue at the gas station.... while filling up, the gas pump will "click off" way too soon... and I end up with only about 3/4 of a tank of gas.... After the gas dispensing nozzle clicks off I can sometimes just "barley" squeeze the handle and allow a slow trickle of gas into my tank, it takes a while but I can finally get a full tank of gas.. I'm wondering if the MOD described in this link would address my issue.

I'm eager to know what you learned. As in the post immediately above this reply, I had the same issue as you describe, and thought that the modification in the video of this thread's original post would solve the problem.

@RLD123

Last edited:
I did the "temporary" hack fix using the GM fuel filler hose. It worked for a few fillups but is back to burping. The amount of gasoline spillage is smaller than it was before the new hose, but still unsatisfactory.

For now I'm probably just going to tolerate it until I decide to get a Savvy gas tank skid, and then i'll fix it while I have things apart already. I loathe doing the same labor multiple times.

I'm eager to know what you learned. As in the post immediately above this reply, I had the same issue as you describe, and thought that the modification in the video of this thread's original post would solve the problem.

@RLD123

I think I posted this somewhere else, but my issue was fixed by cutting the vent tube shorter, and leaving the filler tube (with float) alone.