Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

How much is that savvy skid plate??? This issue went away when I put the GenRight 31.5 gallon tank in..After removing the old tank I tried to remove that float that everyone says is the problem and I couldn't or maybe I could but I felt like the amount of force I was using was going to break something and make the tank unusable and I wanted and did sell it to someone on this forum... I should note the first time I filled up with the new tank the "burp" happened, I think this was due to the amount of AIR that was in the new empty tank...Since then I haven't had a burp that resulted in spillage...just the normal burp to trip the pump at about 2 gallons until full...

If it's the LJ I see in your photo here...Imagine 400+ miles before you have to start looking for a gas station... https://www.offroadwarehouse.com/pr...taT8Wer83WDlCGZThrx5cj0nAzv6UvtRoCIcEQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
How much is that savvy skid plate??? This issue went away when I put the GenRight 31.5 gallon tank in..After removing the old tank I tried to remove that float that everyone says is the problem and I couldn't or maybe I could but I felt like the amount of force I was using was going to break something and make the tank unusable and I wanted and did sell it to someone on this forum...

If it's the LJ I see in your photo here...Imagine 400+ miles before you have to start looking for a gas station... https://www.offroadwarehouse.com/pr...taT8Wer83WDlCGZThrx5cj0nAzv6UvtRoCIcEQAvD_BwE
I regularly can go 400 miles on the highway in my LJ before filling up....

Then I add Diesel to my tow rig :)

How much is that savvy skid plate??? This issue went away when I put the GenRight 31.5 gallon tank in..After removing the old tank I tried to remove that float that everyone says is the problem and I couldn't or maybe I could but I felt like the amount of force I was using was going to break something and make the tank unusable and I wanted and did sell it to someone on this forum... I should note the first time I filled up with the new tank the "burp" happened, I think this was due to the amount of AIR that was in the new empty tank...Since then I haven't had a burp that resulted in spillage...just the normal burp to trip the pump at about 2 gallons until full...

I'd love to do that, but I can buy 4 skids for the price of that tank. I suppose if I experience an unexpected financial windfall I would consider the tank.

I hear ya, hell I have the skid from the factory tank I'd sell you for 50 bucks plus shipping....If I was going to spend 300+ on just a skid, I'd have to bite the bullet and get 31.5 gallon tank that comes with a very good skid and it also gives you an 1 inch more ground clearance. I am by no means made of money, I used paypal with their 6 months interest free to pay for it...Just my thoughts....

I think I posted this somewhere else, but my issue was fixed by cutting the vent tube shorter, and leaving the filler tube (with float) alone.
Do you have any images you could upload to show exactly what you did? I could be very wrong about the years but I think 1997-2004 TJs do NOT have a removable plastic inlet valve that is able to be filed/sanded down. Mine is a 1999 and I discovered this all the hard way by breaking the black inlet cage with the spring & ball, so I'm trying to figure out what I should do next. I've ordered the highly mentioned GM hose and should be receiving this today. If the years can be accurately determined then I believe this How-To Guide should be tagged for certain years (IMO), possibly 2005-2006??? I'll do my best to post my solution in case someone down the line unknowingly breaks the black cage of the inlet valve (from at least 97-99).

Do you have any images you could upload to show exactly what you did? I could be very wrong about the years but I think 1997-2004 TJs do NOT have a removable plastic inlet valve that is able to be filed/sanded down. Mine is a 1999 and I discovered this all the hard way by breaking the black inlet cage with the spring & ball, so I'm trying to figure out what I should do next. I've ordered the highly mentioned GM hose and should be receiving this today. If the years can be accurately determined then I believe this How-To Guide should be tagged for certain years (IMO), possibly 2005-2006??? I'll do my best to post my solution in case someone down the line unknowingly breaks the black cage of the inlet valve (from at least 97-99).

Hey, sure, my story and images start on post #61 of this thread. A few comments later in that thread, I also link to this thread, where my first post is #376. I bought a cheap PVC cutter on Amazon and used that to trim the vent tube back to just about an inch from the wall of the tank.

And you're right. As you'll see in my posts, our early-model tanks do not have the same valve that needs sanding. But you'll also see that my problem was slightly different: I did not have the 'burp' problem; I was just getting clicked-out whenever my tank reached 3/4 full.

Hey, sure, my story and images start on post #61 of this thread. A few comments later in that thread, I also link to this thread, where my first post is #376. I bought a cheap PVC cutter on Amazon and used that to trim the vent tube back to just about an inch from the wall of the tank.

And you're right. As you'll see in my posts, our early-model tanks do not have the same valve that needs sanding. But you'll also see that my problem was slightly different: I did not have the 'burp' problem; I was just getting clicked-out whenever my tank reached 3/4 full.
That was a good read for me, thank you. Also, YES my 99 wasn't so much burping as is was "clicking-out", so I'm really regretting that I broke the bigger filler valve as it will not hold the spring and ball anymore. :( I guess while I have the tank still down I will attempt to trim the vent tube as you did. My real concern now is how the tank is going to behave now that the filler valve tube is without that spring and ball? Will it be more prone to leaking on the trail when ascending or descending.

On a side note, does anyone know if the tanks leak if you flip your Jeep? asking for a friend :LOL:

That was a good read for me, thank you. Also, YES my 99 wasn't so much burping as is was "clicking-out", so I'm really regretting that I broke the bigger filler valve as it will not hold the spring and ball anymore. :( I guess while I have the tank still down I will attempt to trim the vent tube as you did. My real concern now is how the tank is going to behave now that the filler valve tube is without that spring and ball? Will it be more prone to leaking on the trail when ascending or descending.

On a side note, does anyone know if the tanks leak if you flip your Jeep? asking for a friend :LOL:

Yea, I don't know much about this, but I would imagine that without the spring and ball (did yours actually have a spring? I thought I only saw a ball in mine, which is a 97), you're surely more prone to leak when leaning, rolling, or flipping over. I think that's the only purpose of that float-ball, right?

Yea, I don't know much about this, but I would imagine that without the spring and ball (did yours actually have a spring? I thought I only saw a ball in mine, which is a 97), you're surely more prone to leak when leaning, rolling, or flipping over. I think that's the only purpose of that float-ball, right?
Mine in fact did have a spring, I'll post a picture of it after I get home. I'll try and do a leak test on it before I put it all back together by leaning it around and different angles while its full. I imagine I could strap it to a dolly and shake it around a bit. I'm half tempted to buy a used replacement tank on ebay for $100 to have as a backup in case this does not end well for me. Its listed for years 1997-2002 so I'm thinking they swapped designs after '02. Also curious if anyone has ever tried to retrofit the newer TJ tanks to the older TJ vehicles. I'd much rather drop a tank and file some nubs off a valve then have to potentially buy a new tank whenever it decides to start acting up. I'm gonna need a beer soon. 🍺

Pretty sure it’s going to leak. If I understand it correctly, the spring pushes the ball up to seal it off. When fuel goes in, it pushes it down enough to let the fuel flow. Going by that, I would think you would leak if you had a full tank and was leaning towards the drivers side, as well as other situations.

You might want to start looking for another tank, unfortunately.

Pretty sure it’s going to leak. If I understand it correctly, the spring pushes the ball up to seal it off. When fuel goes in, it pushes it down enough to let the fuel flow. Going by that, I would think you would leak if you had a full tank and was leaning towards the drivers side, as well as other situations.

You might want to start looking for another tank, unfortunately.
I was afraid that would be the case, luckily I just order a replacement. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I was afraid that would be the case, luckily I just order a replacement. Thanks for the feedback.
To be clear, it’s not likely going to leak just normal driving and stuff. And leaning towards the drivers side it might not leak until it’s really really leaning, which would likely past the point of no return and it’s just going to roll over. I think it would definitely leak then.

my question too. I have been reading this very long thread and not until the end did I possibly get a hint that my 99 TJ does not have this plastic part to be taken out and sanded down. Any clarity would be helpful. thanks

my question too. I have been reading this very long thread and not until the end did I possibly get a hint that my 99 TJ does not have this plastic part to be taken out and sanded down. Any clarity would be helpful. thanks
Your 99 TJ will not have a removable piece like the other years do. Your only real option is to replace your fuel tank with another one. I bought a used on from eBay for around $100 recently, no more headaches.

I agree it is confusing, because the original post was edited to add the correct 2005-2006 repair, and then it goes on forever with the fix for earlier models.

The removable plastic valve that can be sanded down is unique to 2005-2006 and possibly later models.

I chimed in on post 361, mainly to share my success story.

I will edit that post and delete the video of the guy dropping the tank on a 2004. That’s just adding to the confusion.

However, I think I need to hit a minimum number of posts before I can edit, so that might take a while.

If you have a 2005 or 2006 and you are having the fuel spit issue, just fix it. because if you don’t, it will progress to the “can’t get fuel into the tank“, and then you are really screwed. This is what happened to me, with about 70,000 miles on the odometer. I was fortunate not to get stranded somewhere, because it seemingly overnight got to where I couldn’t even get a gallon into the tank.

It wasn’t that hard. I was putting a new bumper on and that job required me to drop the tank anyways.

Order a shiny new Bosch fuel pump from Rock Auto or wherever you can find one. Might as well while the tank is out.

As an owner of a 2005, I’m very thankful for those who shared the correct fix. I don’t remember where I found it initially, but I was about to buy that GM hose when I discovered that the GM filler hose is the incorrect fix and would have been a waste of time and money In my case. The “sanding down the valve” fix is free!

My 2006 had this problem fairly badly when I purchased it - but it seemingly has fixed itself. I'm guessing it has to do with where I'm buying my gas (Cumberland Farms)? Dunno. Its still on "the list" to do though.

Mine is a 97 but your 99 tank might be like mine. See my post, a few before yours.

FWIW, this tranny jack and a piece of plywood makes fuel tank removal and replacement much, MUCH easier for those of us without access to a lift, or a strong friend. Same with bumpers and transfer cases.

I’ve been borrowing my buddy’s since high school for various jobs, but I finally bought my own last year. His is kind of worn out after 35 years of abuse. The price has gone up though. I think I paid $100 in spring of 2020. inflation? What inflation?

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom.../450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html