Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Dang, have to jump on this one and (risking flames) I'm going to ask questions that might be in the body of the thread, and I'll go back through to look-see but right now I'm in a bit of a rush.
After a camping/wheeling l trip and filling from a can with a shaker siphon hose I can only dribble fuel into the tank. Guessing I shoved the hose too far into the tank and jimmied up the check ball setup. ?? Not sure if it's permanent but have since shoved the hose back down to loosen the valve and no help. Before that I got the splash back but could set the nozzle on low and it would fill.. I could live with that, but now it's intolerable
Already ordered the GM hose (thank guys).
What does the GM mod do to remedy a bad valve, if anything. Don't wanna spend time doing the hose mod only to need to do the real fix immediately after.

And if I remember, removing the plastic was a bit intimidating due to risk of breaking it. I'm just the guy to do that. Are OEM replacements available?

What's the go to gas tank skid for the LJ these days? With Savvy "Available on Backorder" I'm leaning toward GenRight.
Others?

Dang, have to jump on this one and (risking flames) I'm going to ask questions that might be in the body of the thread. . . .
Already ordered the GM hose (thank guys).
What does the GM mod do to remedy a bad valve, if anything. Don't wanna spend time doing the hose mod only to need to do the real fix immediately after.

The GM hose is a band-aid, not a fix.

The fix can be found in the body of the thread that you haven't read.

For example, in this post: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-gas-overflow-fix.244/page-11#post-410105

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Is it necessary to relieve fuel pressure at the rail before removing pump connections?

Any tricks to drain the tank other than driving it? FSM for 06 says "standard" drain method with hose in filler neck. Don't think that's possible with the culprit check valve in the way.

I noticed along the way in this thread that there are differences in fuel line connectors on the pump. Any insight on which type the '06 has?

EDIT: Adding link for fuel pressure answer.

Last edited:
The GM hose is a bandaid for the burp problem. It won't help the slow fill problem. And no, you can't siphon, with that valve blocking it (and not even with the valve open). Mine did the gas burp for many months, and then one day the valve must have slipped up and stuck in the block-fill position. You didn't do that with your gas can.

You don't need the GM hose at all. Read the thread, and then do the REAL fix with the valve. It fixes both burp and block. As far as I know, there are no spare parts for the innards of the tank. Yes, I was intimidated too, but it had to be done.

Here's mine. I forgot to relieve the fuel pressure, but it had sat overnight and didn't squirt me. The connectors have two tabs sticking out the end. Just grab and squeeze them and then rock the connector loose. The evap canister hose has a connector at the top at the charcoal canister. Push in on the curved side which releases little internal tabs, and then work the connector loose.

You'll need to follow instructions for the 2005-06 fuel pump lock ring, not the older screw-on ring.

The GM hose is a bandaid for the burp problem. It won't help the slow fill problem. And no, you can't siphon, with that valve blocking it (and not even with the valve open). Mine did the gas burp for many months, and then one day the valve must have slipped up and stuck in the block-fill position. You didn't do that with your gas can.
Long hose on the shaker siphon, not a gas can spout.
You don't need the GM hose at all. Read the thread, and then do the REAL fix with the valve. It fixes both burp and block. As far as I know, there are no spare parts for the innards of the tank. Yes, I was intimidated too, but it had to be done.
Cancelled the order on the GM part.
Here's mine. I forgot to relieve the fuel pressure, but it had sat overnight and didn't squirt me. The connectors have two tabs sticking out the end. Just grab and squeeze them and then rock the connector loose. The evap canister hose has a connector at the top at the charcoal canister. Push in on the curved side which releases little internal tabs, and then work the connector loose.
Pretty good video on YT about the connectors.
—————-
You'll need to follow instructions for the 2005-06 fuel pump lock ring, not the older screw-on ring.
What's the distinction?

One video shows plastic ring the other looks like steel.

Is this (yours) the lock ring I can expect to find on the 06?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-wrangler-unlimited.56357/page-3#post-1036283

Is it necessary to relieve fuel pressure at the rail before removing pump connections?
pull the relay and crank the engine until it doesn't run
Any tricks to drain the tank other than driving it?
I used a light switch and extension cord to jumper the relay and used the pump to empty the tank into fuel cans.

Reactions: Zorba and NOTNSUV
So the old school screwdriver/dead-blow procedure..

That should work. I found the tool for not much money and went that route:

20220903_171324.jpg

20220903_171416.jpg

I used a heavy screwdriver with a ground down tip to make it pretty blunt, with a heavy hammer. Tapped back and forth on opposite sides to drive the ring around. It takes a lot of whacks.

This is why it's hard to siphon.
IMG_5473.jpg

You might be able to run a wire down the filler hose, and push the float back down from block to burp position.

I used a heavy screwdriver with a ground down tip to make it pretty blunt, with a heavy hammer. Tapped back and forth on opposite sides to drive the ring around. It takes a lot of whacks.

This is why it's hard to siphon.
View attachment 356856

You might be able to run a wire down the filler hose, and push the float back down from block to burp position.
Gonna fix it and be done.

Plan was for a Thule roof rack install but priorities change.

That should work. I found the tool for not much money and went that route:

View attachment 356848

View attachment 356849
Ordered the same tool, gets here Thursday or Friday. Just don't wanna risk the back yard method and possibly have to spend $200+ on a pump @ 32k mi.
Also ordered a new o-ring.
Purging the tank was a sweet operation with a simple toggle switch and 10ga. wire with terminals.

Delays the fix so I'll have to XJ the trail run if I don't get this done by the weekend. 1st World problem.

I tried to delete the 2nd photo unsuccessfully, but did NOT order that tool

Thanks all.

20220904_095342.jpg

Screensho.jpg

20220904_111703.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: L J
So when I replaced the fuel pump today I reached in the tank and removed the stopper and took it apart and filed the nodes on it and it worked fine. I just filled it up and it didn’t burp. Kindof tricky to get back in but you can feel the your way around but there is a right way to out it back on. Also, my arm still smells like gas!

Routinely burping gas at the pump during fill-up. Picking up a fuel pump lock ring tool and planning to do the check valve fix next time I run the tank out of gas.
It's a 2005 with ~175k miles on it. Jeep is new to me so I don't have a service record. Suggestions for preventative things that I should take care of while I have the tank dropped--fuel filter, strainer, etc.?