Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Good to know because I have a cheap radiator from Autozone and 6 years later it's still okay.
I'm willing to try one in the next rig I overhaul the cooling system on. Someone besides me is going to pay to swap it out if it fails prematurely or doesn't adequately cool. Any takers?

LONGJP2

TJ Enthusiast
14 yrs.old, 135k; mine just got a hairline crack through the date code. Didn't notice it till the day after a 16 hour drive, which included some offroading. Emptied the overflow bottle, but the radiator was still full, so it never ran hot. Not blaming the long drive, I've done it many times.

20200928_130502.jpg

Last edited:

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Enthusiast
14 yrs.old, 135k; mine just got a hairline crack through the date code. Didn't notice it till the day after a 16 hour drive, which included some offroading. Emptied the overflow bottle, but the radiator was still full, so it never ran hot. Not blaming the long drive, I've done it many times.

View attachment 193132

Exact spot where mine went. You should toss a debate bomb into the chat and wonder aloud whether to go OEM or aftermarket for the replacement

Ericict

I don't proofread for your enjoyment.
Supporting Member
Well of course I'm going to upgrade to full aluminum. The catalogs tell me it's better.

Just kidding. I've already ordered an oem.
Is there a rebuild shop in your area? When I did the OH on my system, our local shop (Wichita) told me the plastic parts were under $20. A complete radiator OH was $150. That included hot dip, flush and all new parts including the cap. I think many forget there are shops that still do this.

I’m in the process of putting in a new radiator and I have an issue with the transmission coolant attachments. The replacement radiator already had the same connections that are still on the trans connections. I want to take out the ones on the radiator so that I can hook up the old ones still attached to the trans hoses. What size wrench to use? The old ones came out but these new ones are so tight that the same wrench is just slipping off.

Apparition

Notable member
Supporting Member
I’m in the process of putting in a new radiator and I have an issue with the transmission coolant attachments. The replacement radiator already had the same connections that are still on the trans connections. I want to take out the ones on the radiator so that I can hook up the old ones still attached to the trans hoses. What size wrench to use? The old ones came out but these new ones are so tight that the same wrench is just slipping off.
You shouldn’t have to unscrew anything, pop out the quick disconnects and pop them in the new cooler.