Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement

Good to know because I have a cheap radiator from Autozone and 6 years later it's still okay.
I'm willing to try one in the next rig I overhaul the cooling system on. Someone besides me is going to pay to swap it out if it fails prematurely or doesn't adequately cool. Any takers?

14 yrs.old, 135k; mine just got a hairline crack through the date code. Didn't notice it till the day after a 16 hour drive, which included some offroading. Emptied the overflow bottle, but the radiator was still full, so it never ran hot. Not blaming the long drive, I've done it many times.

20200928_130502.jpg

Last edited:
14 yrs.old, 135k; mine just got a hairline crack through the date code. Didn't notice it till the day after a 16 hour drive, which included some offroading. Emptied the overflow bottle, but the radiator was still full, so it never ran hot. Not blaming the long drive, I've done it many times.

View attachment 193132

Exact spot where mine went. You should toss a debate bomb into the chat and wonder aloud whether to go OEM or aftermarket for the replacement

Well of course I'm going to upgrade to full aluminum. The catalogs tell me it's better.

Just kidding. I've already ordered an oem.
Is there a rebuild shop in your area? When I did the OH on my system, our local shop (Wichita) told me the plastic parts were under $20. A complete radiator OH was $150. That included hot dip, flush and all new parts including the cap. I think many forget there are shops that still do this.

I’m in the process of putting in a new radiator and I have an issue with the transmission coolant attachments. The replacement radiator already had the same connections that are still on the trans connections. I want to take out the ones on the radiator so that I can hook up the old ones still attached to the trans hoses. What size wrench to use? The old ones came out but these new ones are so tight that the same wrench is just slipping off.

I’m in the process of putting in a new radiator and I have an issue with the transmission coolant attachments. The replacement radiator already had the same connections that are still on the trans connections. I want to take out the ones on the radiator so that I can hook up the old ones still attached to the trans hoses. What size wrench to use? The old ones came out but these new ones are so tight that the same wrench is just slipping off.
You shouldn’t have to unscrew anything, pop out the quick disconnects and pop them in the new cooler.

I am replacing my radiator and have to swap over the transmission line connectors to the
Mopar quick disconnect style as I have an 06. How tight do I need to do up the quick disconnects into the radiator, they screw onto rubber O rings and I don't want to screw it up and damage the O rings. Should I put some thread sealer on as well?

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

Hey guys,

long time lurker and infrequent poster. My radiator finally bit the dust and I’m looking at buying and installing a replacement. I’m going OEM, but I want to make sure I’m ordering the correct one. I’ve read horror stories of radiators being delivered and then either not fitting, or not coming with the correct attachments. If someone could just take a look at this link to make sure this looks accurate, I would appreciate it.

Summit Racing

Per their site, this is the one that matches up to my make/model/transmission. Just would like a second opinion before dropping the cash on an online order.

I drive a 2004 Wrangler TJ Sport manual transmission (dunno if they make a Sport with auto or not). But if this radiator looks accurate, I’ll be ordering.

Thanks
Rob

PS - or if anyone has a link to a good, correct oem rad, that they have experience with, please post.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

long time lurker and infrequent poster. My radiator finally bit the dust and I’m looking at buying and installing a replacement. I’m going OEM, but I want to make sure I’m ordering the correct one. I’ve read horror stories of radiators being delivered and then either not fitting, or not coming with the correct attachments. If someone could just take a look at this link to make sure this looks accurate, I would appreciate it.

Summit Racing

Per their site, this is the one that matches up to my make/model/transmission. Just would like a second opinion before dropping the cash on an online order.

I drive a 2004 Wrangler TJ Sport manual transmission (dunno if they make a Sport with auto or not). But if this radiator looks accurate, I’ll be ordering.

Thanks
Rob

PS - or if anyone has a link to a good, correct oem rad, that they have experience with, please post.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-cooling-system-overhaul-faq.3397/

I have a 2005 LJ with only 74,000 miles, I noticed a crack in the top of the radiator, already ordered a mopar replacement. The question I have is should I replace the water pump and thermostat while I’m at it? I haven’t noticed any problems there but I know a lot of people replace everything all at once. I was getting a little squeak from what I thought was the serpentine belt but only if it was hot outside and the Jeep was up to operating temperature and only after letting off the throttle, I already replaced idler pulley and tensioner pulley and belt but squeak still present, not sure if leaky radiator was spraying on the belt causing the squeak. I know that’s a lot of different info, but I’ll accept any advice.

I have a 2005 LJ with only 74,000 miles, I noticed a crack in the top of the radiator, already ordered a mopar replacement. The question I have is should I replace the water pump and thermostat while I’m at it? I haven’t noticed any problems there but I know a lot of people replace everything all at once. I was getting a little squeak from what I thought was the serpentine belt but only if it was hot outside and the Jeep was up to operating temperature and only after letting off the throttle, I already replaced idler pulley and tensioner pulley and belt but squeak still present, not sure if leaky radiator was spraying on the belt causing the squeak. I know that’s a lot of different info, but I’ll accept any advice.

FWIW...my pump went at about 105k. I replaced the pump and everything else EXCEPT the radiator. Couple days after I got done, radiator cracked up top like you're describing. I used O'Reilly parts so it was pretty cheap, cheap enough that I'd just do it all at once if it were me. But if you're using MOPAR only, I can see why you'd hesitate given the premium you're paying

FWIW...my pump went at about 105k. I replaced the pump and everything else EXCEPT the radiator. Couple days after I got done, radiator cracked up top like you're describing. I used O'Reilly parts so it was pretty cheap, cheap enough that I'd just do it all at once if it were me. But if you're using MOPAR only, I can see why you'd hesitate given the premium you're paying
Yeah I have the mopar radiator here and from what I read most recommend sticking with mopar parts. I can’t get a mopar water pump till later next week which is really no big deal but I am off on vacation so I’d like to get back on the road with the Jeep. I can go pick up a Murray or another brand water pump locally but not sure if leaving the current one in vs going store brand is my best choice. I spend a lot of time reading online and I figure when someone takes the time to offer their advice, whether I agree or disagree it’s worth reading. The Jeep community has some of the best people I have ever met and if everyone in the country owned a Jeep and spent time on these forums, this world would be a much better place!

Yeah I have the mopar radiator here and from what I read most recommend sticking with mopar parts. I can’t get a mopar water pump till later next week which is really no big deal but I am off on vacation so I’d like to get back on the road with the Jeep. I can go pick up a Murray or another brand water pump locally but not sure if leaving the current one in vs going store brand is my best choice. I spend a lot of time reading online and I figure when someone takes the time to offer their advice, whether I agree or disagree it’s worth reading. The Jeep community has some of the best people I have ever met and if everyone in the country owned a Jeep and spent time on these forums, this world would be a much better place!

I don't think sticking with Mopar is ever a bad idea, but I also don't think it's super risky to use non-mopar stuff when it comes to certain parts. I used a Gates thermostat housing for example. It's a housing, I don't feel the need to pay the premium for the mopar version. Still, there's a reason people recommend it - you get that peace of mind and reliability you may not get with other stuff.

Also worth considering how you use the vehicle. Mine is a little grocery getter/daily driver that hauls dogs and shit from the hardware store, maybe take it camping once in a while. I'm probably gonna be close enough to a parts store to swap out my cheap lifetime warranty radiator if it comes to that. I work from home too, so it's not getting daily commute usage anyway. Other people may need something more robust or with more reliability.

I think my pump and rad both are Murray's from Oreilly

1997 TJ 4.0L 5 SPD....... Need some guidance here guys... Will be installing (DIY) a new reman 4.0L and want to install a brand new cooling system to it. The part # for the radiator the dealership gave me was 52080183 ($422.24) but when I searched some of the links provided here (Amazon) I got this message:

Engine Cooling Radiator - Mopar (52080183AC)​

2001 Jeep Wrangler Engine Cooling Radiator 52080183AC Mopar DOESN'T FIT YOU CAR

My initial thoughts here is that the 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L radiator is the same for the 1997 TJ 4.0L and it will fit.

Any opinions?

1997 TJ 4.0L 5 SPD....... Need some guidance here guys... Will be installing (DIY) a new reman 4.0L and want to install a brand new cooling system to it. The part # for the radiator the dealership gave me was 52080183 ($422.24) but when I searched some of the links provided here (Amazon) I got this message:

My initial thoughts here is that the 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L radiator is the same for the 1997 TJ 4.0L and it will fit.

Any opinions?
given a choice between trusting the dealer and trusting Amazon, I would go with the dealer every time. but check the reviews, most of the time they will tell you what they put in. Oh, and call another dealer! see what they offer.

Any opinions?
you might check this one: it is the one selected by the forum earlier in the write up.
it is half the price you are looking at and one of the reviews stated they had a '98 that fit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049EH4AC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My '98 still has its original brass-tanked radiator. I've had radiators re-cored on a few vehicles, back in the day, and am considering doing the same with my TJ's. Any thoughts for, or against , me going that route?

Reactions: Zorba