Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement

My radiator just cracked last night and I purchased a warranty on my 99 jeep wrangler sport last year when I bought it. Should I have it replaced with my warranty or do the work myself? I enjoy working on my jeep but I seem to be having trouble finding a mopar radiator. I used the links provided but it says the radiator won't fit my jeep. Thanks guys! I attached a photo of my radiator too.

View attachment 179325
Another example of similar issues with OEM radiators. Thanks for posting. This is the same location of my current issue with my 2006 radiator.

Ok, I'm new to this site and I know I’m about to get slammed. I can take it as long as it is not fear based but rather based experience or facts.

I recently bought a 2006 Jeep Wrangle TJ Rubicon mall crawler with 78K miles to pull behind my Motorhome. I chose it since it was less weight than my Tacoma with less cost to convert for flat towing. The jeep radiator recently cracked on the top seam which got me stuck in Elko, NV. Thanks to my motorhome I was able to pull it back to CA. That brings me to the part where the hard-core OEM only folks might slam me. I’m 57 with mostly foreign cars under my name and I can’t seem to understand agreeing to a normal 10 years age replacement of a radiator. What happen to quality in our nation? I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with over 260K as well as other foreign cars with over 200K miles and I have never had a need to replace a radiator. I asked other fiends with foreign 4x4’s and when I asked about this issue, they have not heard of such a low bar. They all laughed at me when I bought a Jeep. I went to Africa a few years ago to do a safari and they all used Toyota’s. I ask why they did not use Jeeps or Land Rovers and they all stated those brands all fell apart after a few trips. Grrrr. Where did we go wrong? Ok enough with my frustration.

I see this post starts with OEM as the only way to go but when I go to Jeep events, I see a lot of TJ’s having aluminum radiator replacements which goes against the recommendation of this thread. I unfortunately did not ask at the time since I thought it was just bling and did not know I was about to have an issue with my radiator. Now that I have a Jeep sitting in my drive with a cracked radiator, I’m thinking perhaps they may have been on to something. Since mixing plastic with aluminum has different heat expansion characters that it seems to be a good failure issue. It seems to be the failure of most of what I see on this and other sites I’ve searched. With that in mind, having all one material seems to be most of the aftermarket solutions for this problem which seems logical to me.

I challenge someone to go against the OEM standards being posted on this site and respond with their own experience with a non-OEM products that worked for them. I see mostly two being used out there from pictures of Jeep events, YouTube posts, and conversations with other Jeep owners on my last motorhome trip. Mishmoto and Griffen see common replacements and both are made in the USA. I think more Jeep users can be helped from your experience including me. Please post the brand, how long you used it, and what if any successes / failures you’ve had with it. The challenge is on….

:)

Thanks.
Champion, Griffin, Mishimoto, Wizard Cooling, and Northern are all full aluminum radiators that I have experience with. Of those, only one has not had a sub 24 month failure and that is the one from Northern. Unfortunately I won't install another for anyone due to having to remove the grill to put in the radiator.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have installed countless OEM radiators with a 0% defect rate.

Analyze it, justify it, compare it to anything you like in any attempt to rationalize moving away from OEM and enjoy.

But, at the end of 10 years and at least 100,000 miles on your full aluminum choice, pop back in with what it is so I can go get some because the day is coming when I can't get OEM any longer and I'm really going to need something as reliable.

And just so you know, you don't actually know that the particular polymer used has a different expansion rate than aluminum.

Second just so you know. I am not anti full aluminum. I am anti defects.

Third just so you know. The main reason folks are pretty pleased with minimum 10 years and 100k out of OEM is that is about twice as good as they used to be.

And my fourth and final just so you know. Here is a deal for anyone that wants me to try their non OEM recommendation other than CBR. I will install it in the customer's rig or even one of my own. If it fails sub 10y/100k, you pay me to replace it. If you're not willing to do that, then I really don't want to hear about your choice.

Reactions: Bud125 and Davidtj
Ok, I'm new to this site and I know I’m about to get slammed. I can take it as long as it is not fear based but rather based experience or facts.

I recently bought a 2006 Jeep Wrangle TJ Rubicon mall crawler with 78K miles to pull behind my Motorhome. I chose it since it was less weight than my Tacoma with less cost to convert for flat towing. The jeep radiator recently cracked on the top seam which got me stuck in Elko, NV. Thanks to my motorhome I was able to pull it back to CA. That brings me to the part where the hard-core OEM only folks might slam me. I’m 57 with mostly foreign cars under my name and I can’t seem to understand agreeing to a normal 10 years age replacement of a radiator. What happen to quality in our nation? I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with over 260K as well as other foreign cars with over 200K miles and I have never had a need to replace a radiator. I asked other fiends with foreign 4x4’s and when I asked about this issue, they have not heard of such a low bar. They all laughed at me when I bought a Jeep. I went to Africa a few years ago to do a safari and they all used Toyota’s. I ask why they did not use Jeeps or Land Rovers and they all stated those brands all fell apart after a few trips. Grrrr. Where did we go wrong? Ok enough with my frustration.

I see this post starts with OEM as the only way to go but when I go to Jeep events, I see a lot of TJ’s having aluminum radiator replacements which goes against the recommendation of this thread. I unfortunately did not ask at the time since I thought it was just bling and did not know I was about to have an issue with my radiator. Now that I have a Jeep sitting in my drive with a cracked radiator, I’m thinking perhaps they may have been on to something. Since mixing plastic with aluminum has different heat expansion characters that it seems to be a good failure issue. It seems to be the failure of most of what I see on this and other sites I’ve searched. With that in mind, having all one material seems to be most of the aftermarket solutions for this problem which seems logical to me.

I challenge someone to go against the OEM standards being posted on this site and respond with their own experience with a non-OEM products that worked for them. I see mostly two being used out there from pictures of Jeep events, YouTube posts, and conversations with other Jeep owners on my last motorhome trip. Mishmoto and Griffen see common replacements and both are made in the USA. I think more Jeep users can be helped from your experience including me. Please post the brand, how long you used it, and what if any successes / failures you’ve had with it. The challenge is on….

Thanks.
There *are* quite a few anecdotes here about non-OEM radiators not holding up. However, I hear you about "...a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with over 260K as well as other foreign cars with over 200K miles and I have never had a need to replace a radiator." They say the OEM is the best available - and it probably is - but in the same breathe, they seem to feel that its completely normal for a radiator to crap out after about 10 years. I have a 1985 Mercedes with 320K on it with the original radiator - the much vaunted Jeep OEMs aren't all that great if they're crapping out after 10 years...

-=OR=-

Perhaps nobody bothers to change their coolant at the recommended intervals with the correct HOAT coolant, so everybody buys a used Jeep that hasn't been taken care of. I sincerely hope that is indeed the case because a 10 year lifespan from a radiator is crap. Cooling system neglect will kill a radiator - especially a plastic one - quicker than anything else.

I've said this before, and all I hear are *crickets*. Nobody has an answer, but 10 years is completely un-acceptible.

Reactions: JeepingJimmy

Thanks.
From what I have heard the mishmoto is not a long term radiator, even confirmed to me by a factory rep. He told me there not shure why there are failing and they are having a higher fail rate in Jeep’s but will warranty
As far as American made I have had
Three gmc trucks with over 350 0000 miles same rad
Two Dodge vans over 280 000 same
radiator
The engine compartment on a TJ does get fairly hot maybe a contributing to plastic tanks failing (fatigue)

Reactions: Zorba
My Jeep has had 3 OEM radiators in it. I see no point in replacing a bad part with the same bad part. This year I upgraded mine with a fully aluminum Mishimoto radiator. That thing is welded very well, holds more coolant, and looks great. I have far more confidence in it than I do the OEM radiator. That's my 2 cents if it helps.

Reactions: Daron
My Jeep has had 3 OEM radiators in it. I see no point in replacing a bad part with the same bad part. This year I upgraded mine with a fully aluminum Mishimoto radiator. That thing is welded very well, holds more coolant, and looks great. I have far more confidence in it than I do the OEM radiator. That's my 2 cents if it helps.
My 2 cents is I would pay for a new Mopar OEM radiator before I would install a new free Mishimoto.

I should have put the 4th OEM radiator in my Jeep instead?
I'll stick with the stats even though
They say sixty-five percent of all statistics
Are made up right there on the spot

Fuck off with your statistic bullshit. I also believe we've discussed this before and you have another issue that is not radiator related if you went through 3 in short order.

That said, if you want to play the stupid fucking stats game, I've installed at least 30 OEM radiators in the TJ and TJ Unlimited. I have a 0% defect rate going back at least 10 years and 100's of 1000's of combined miles plus we live in a hot zone. I have a near 100% defect rate with aftermarket with a single exception being the Northern I mentioned above that I won't install because I think it is beyond stupid to have to pull the grill to install a radiator or work on the cooling system.

So what is the part on the oem radiator that fails most often.

Does the plastic tank crack, or the seal between the tank and aluminum fins leak?

Would it be possible to refurbish a failed oem radiator with milled billet or cast aluminum tanks that wouldn’t crack?

It seems like the main difference in design between oem and aftermarket aluminum is that the after market aluminum radiators have tanks that are welded to the fins instead of crimped with a gasket. The gasket allows for tolerance of different rates of expansion during heat cycles.

Catastrophic failure of one of the plastic tanks disintegrating on the trail should be the primary concern and that could be eliminated keeping the oem design but replacing the plastic with more durable aluminum.

I just replaced a Chinese made oem style radiator with a mopar that previous owner installed about 5 years ago. It had a small leak at the gasket of the upper tank. The mopar has obviously higher quality plastic and probably seals as well which is why it should be expected to last twice as long as the knockoff.

I hesitantly follow this thread and keep regretting having to put a non mopar Oreilly’s radiator in my Jeep in Moab. Anybody have a source for the mopar auto tranny radiator with quick disconnects that’s less than $300?

So what is the part on the oem radiator that fails most often.

Does the plastic tank crack, or the seal between the tank and aluminum fins leak?

I'd guess they are pretty equal but the leaking o-ring is rarely catastrophic. You can have one that weeps and it will stop as soon as the coolant warms up. That can go on for years.

Would it be possible to refurbish a failed oem radiator with milled billet or cast aluminum tanks that wouldn’t crack?

It seems like the main difference in design between oem and aftermarket aluminum is that the after market aluminum radiators have tanks that are welded to the fins instead of crimped with a gasket. The gasket allows for tolerance of different rates of expansion during heat cycles.

Highly possible to do but I don't believe the crimps like being opened and folded back. If you started with a new core and tank, that might work.

Catastrophic failure of one of the plastic tanks disintegrating on the trail should be the primary concern and that could be eliminated keeping the oem design but replacing the plastic with more durable aluminum.

I just replaced a Chinese made oem style radiator with a mopar that previous owner installed about 5 years ago. It had a small leak at the gasket of the upper tank. The mopar has obviously higher quality plastic and probably seals as well which is why it should be expected to last twice as long as the knockoff.

Everyone should carry some mesh drywall tape and 5 minute JB Weld to patch the cracked tanks to get home.

Fuck off with your statistic bullshit. I also believe we've discussed this before and you have another issue that is not radiator related if you went through 3 in short order.

That said, if you want to play the stupid fucking stats game, I've installed at least 30 OEM radiators in the TJ and TJ Unlimited. I have a 0% defect rate going back at least 10 years and 100's of 1000's of combined miles plus we live in a hot zone. I have a near 100% defect rate with aftermarket with a single exception being the Northern I mentioned above that I won't install because I think it is beyond stupid to have to pull the grill to install a radiator or work on the cooling system.

Control your emotions. You're not a child.

I haven't discussed my radiator problems with you before. I've owned this Jeep for only 5 years and I do know its history from the previous owner. I didn't have an issue until 2020.
3 OEM radiators in 15 years is ridiculous. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is insanity.

I haven't discussed my radiator problems with you before. I've owned this Jeep for only 5 years and I do know its history from the previous owner. I didn't have an issue until 2020.
3 OEM radiators in 15 years is ridiculous. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is insanity.
We is generic for seeing the discussion on the forum. Not finding the source of the problem is more insane.

I hesitantly follow this thread and keep regretting having to put a non mopar Oreilly’s radiator in my Jeep in Moab. Anybody have a source for the mopar auto tranny radiator with quick disconnects that’s less than $300?

Purely anecdotal and only meant to make you feel better (so really, it's useless :sneaky:) but I've had my Murray's from Oreilly in since early summer and it has been running just fine. I'm pretty happy with it but I'll be the first to update if it takes a dump and I have to eat crow.

Purely anecdotal and only meant to make you feel better (so really, it's useless :sneaky:) but I've had my Murray's from Oreilly in since early summer and it has been running just fine. I'm pretty happy with it but I'll be the first to update if it takes a dump and I have to eat crow.
My buddy has an Autozone special in his YJ. It has been in there in use for at least 10 years. The only problem with that is we both know if I go to Autozone and try to get one just like it, my chances are almost zero for that happening.

Tell us about your cooling system. What brand coolant? How old and brand is the water pump? Which thermostat?

My buddy has an Autozone special in his YJ. It has been in there in use for at least 10 years. The only problem with that is we both know if I go to Autozone and try to get one just like it, my chances are almost zero for that happening.

Yeah I don't doubt you're right. I generally subscribe to the OEM is best point of view for most parts but my hot take is that people use their Jeeps in wildly different ways in many different conditions. There are more variables at work than brand name.

I don't remember if it was you who posted this, I think it was, but you or someone else explained how the difference between something like MOPAR sensors and aftermarket is the pre-sale quality testing and the acceptable failure range that determines what goes into the "for sale" bin vs. what gets tossed - basically how you can buy aftermarket and get a perfectly fine MOPAR-tier product but the chances of getting a shit product are way higher. I'm butchering the explanation but I remember going to talk with my dad about it (his work overlaps quite a bit with product development) after reading that and his response was "that guy knows exactly what he's talking about" ha.