02' TJ - Capable daily driver

Bumper arrived! Got that mounted up, still working on getting a winch
378A8044-2F43-4C17-8965-7959B371137E.jpeg

Also got the Midland 275 GMRS radio. Decided to mount it on the dash for ease of access and so that the cables are out of the way
4E48858E-477D-47F6-8C10-8D5A1C868B8F.jpeg

Not much progress on the jeep again, but i’ve been thinking about where i want to take this build.
Eventually i plan on going up to 35’s but for now the max tire size i’ll go is 33’s, with my current lift and i’ll add a body lift. In the far future i plan on
- An SYE (And double cardan driveshaft)
- Upgrade control arms
- Swayloc or Antirock sway bars
- New track bars
- Chromoly axle shafts
- Dana 44 rear axle swap (And lockers)
- Regear
- Tie rod upgrade
- Big brake kit
Again, this is pretty far in the future and i plan on just tackling these things one at a time. Does anyone have any feedback on this list? Any recommendations? Anything to add?

Not much progress on the jeep again, but i’ve been thinking about where i want to take this build.
Eventually i plan on going up to 35’s but for now the max tire size i’ll go is 33’s, with my current lift and i’ll add a body lift. In the far future i plan on
- An SYE (And double cardan driveshaft)
- Upgrade control arms
- Swayloc or Antirock sway bars
- New track bars
- Chromoly axle shafts
- Dana 44 rear axle swap (And lockers)
- Regear
- Tie rod upgrade
- Big brake kit
Again, this is pretty far in the future and i plan on just tackling these things one at a time. Does anyone have any feedback on this list? Any recommendations? Anything to add?
How much lift did you end up doing? I scrolled back through but I didn't see you mention it (i might've just missed it).

I think that's a great plan, it's almost exactly in line with what I've been doing. I think if you're going to do this in spurts, I would do:

- control arms / SYE / DC shaft / tie rod / track bars
then
- sway bar replacement / BBK / chromo shafts (really only needed when you jump to 35's)

The odd ball Is the axle swap. If I could go back and do things over I would have done the re-gear/lockers first, after making a decision on which tire size I wanted to stick with. But wanting to find a new rear 44 will just take time to find one unless you're buying new.
Jeep is coming along great!

Reactions: kiwi
I did a dana 44 swap on my jeep but it came with a locker if you were buying one for 1000 dollars it should come with a locker if not I would just do the super 35 since your final build plan is to just run 35's

Check the rear sway bar bushings. Replace if needed.

Mine were toast. Replacing them was a huge improvement in handling.

Tie rod upgrade is fairly inexpensive also.
Thanks, i’ll check out my rear bushings. I’ve been looking into the ZJ tie rod conversion. Or do u have any recommendations for a tie rod upgrade?

How much lift did you end up doing? I scrolled back through but I didn't see you mention it (i might've just missed it).

I think that's a great plan, it's almost exactly in line with what I've been doing. I think if you're going to do this in spurts, I would do:

- control arms / SYE / DC shaft / tie rod / track bars
then
- sway bar replacement / BBK / chromo shafts (really only needed when you jump to 35's)

The odd ball Is the axle swap. If I could go back and do things over I would have done the re-gear/lockers first, after making a decision on which tire size I wanted to stick with. But wanting to find a new rear 44 will just take time to find one unless you're buying new.
Jeep is coming along great!
Thanks for your reply! I went with the OME Heavy duty springs and Rancho 5000x shocks, and since my jeep is pretty light it got me around 2.5” of lift.
I’ve been following your build thread, it looks awesome. 35’s are pretty far in the future for me but i’ll remember to keep that order of upgrades in mind. Definitely not in the budget to buy a new Dana 44, so i’ll be keeping an eye out for a used one or might end up just upgrading the 35. Since you’re in my area if you see a good deal on a 44 please keep me in mind!

Reactions: Vasq
I did a dana 44 swap on my jeep but it came with a locker if you were buying one for 1000 dollars it should come with a locker if not I would just do the super 35 since your final build plan is to just run 35's
Yeah did u get a 44 from a Tj? If so, how was the install? I hear it’s just a straight swap if it came from a Tj. I’m definitely looking into doing a super 35 too.

Thanks for your reply! I went with the OME Heavy duty springs and Rancho 5000x shocks, and since my jeep is pretty light it got me around 2.5” of lift.
I’ve been following your build thread, it looks awesome. 35’s are pretty far in the future for me but i’ll remember to keep that order of upgrades in mind. Definitely not in the budget to buy a new Dana 44, so i’ll be keeping an eye out for a used one or might end up just upgrading the 35. Since you’re in my area if you see a good deal on a 44 please keep me in mind!
I'll give you a heads up if I see anything.

Yeah did u get a 44 from a Tj? If so, how was the install? I hear it’s just a straight swap if it came from a Tj. I’m definitely looking into doing a super 35 too.
yeah its a direct swap it just takes some time to get everything in place I have it up on my build page if your set on a 44

Picked up a cheap smittybilt winch a few weeks ago, and i know smittybilt isn’t the brand of choice, but for the price i couldn’t pass it up. I decided to “restore” it, and run it until i eventually upgrade to a warn

Here it is the day i got it, dirty and broken
AE4296E8-6093-43B6-8E4E-B6C05C087BFD.jpeg

I cleaned it up a bit...
487D9D8F-EB73-4EFF-84A5-F2CDE6199135.jpeg

And got a better look at the broken base. Not sure how it happened, but i ordered a replacement part.
EA791A88-69BB-4296-8B57-981780782022.jpeg

New vs old
B454B82F-6F97-47A0-87A6-F0470A409BAF.jpeg

Gears are out!
7083A745-5050-4DA7-A57C-4D3387E6C012.jpeg

Cleaned all the old grease
6DDE0FF5-164B-487B-92EE-7E0B9955CE64.jpeg

New grease!
488B3343-58F4-44BF-B8F9-42C7F226C35D.jpeg

Back together, now onto painting the other base...
B3C35B58-5908-4DE0-ADFA-C96BA5FBA537.jpeg

First coat done!
5756E622-B213-4C80-8017-093E5116E7F6.jpeg

Back together and mounted
94863990-E5D2-4B50-BDC3-5F21425E5D3B.jpeg

Time to wind the wire
5AE34157-A9BB-4FCD-87AF-450B7305965A.jpeg

And done!
67CB4D96-E40F-4AAD-A175-C7460CC2E2BE.jpeg

And also got my new rear bumper installed
50246A49-F729-447D-84E8-6E404A75D5BF.jpeg

Also checked out my rear diff, and realized i already had a 44! Glad i didn’t buy one lol
Anyone got recommendations for lockers?
wow thats awesome for your build, I have the arb lockers front and back but theres also eaton if you want an electronic locker or a Detroit locker if you want a non selectable but I remember reading from @Jerry Bransford that Detroit lockers aren't good for snow or rain but I could be wrong.

2 days of cleaning and i’m still going... But took a break to swap out the turn signal/reflectors for the stock orange ones. I’m still not sure which ones i prefer
View attachment 256563
View attachment 256559View attachment 256560View attachment 256561View attachment 256562

What do y’all think?
I think the smoke looks cool because your whole jeeps blacked out if you had more orange like a factor 55 orange splicer or amber lights it could be a look but then again its your jeep keep what you like

I think the smoke looks cool because your whole jeeps blacked out if you had more orange like a factor 55 orange splicer or amber lights it could be a look but then again its your jeep keep what you like
Good point, that’s kinda what i was thinkin. I’m gonna leave them on for a bit and see if they grow on me. If not i’ll swap back the smoked ones.

Reactions: N_CARRERA_