Rancho's arrived. Say what you want. They ride damn good for a TJ.

These are painted and ready to install on Thursday.

Temps are high around here.

Spokane High Record is 108*.

Tuesday we're slated for 112*

The appearance of RANCHOS is not near as nice as the FOX. 🤣

But LOOKS aren't everything. They ride better.

F619B820-D1A3-420D-AD41-569711855FB3.jpeg

BFFF7EB1-1CC0-47A5-8BB8-C54BF0B228C4.jpeg

Why qualify the ride? I wish you were closer. You would definitely have NOT liked them on my TJ.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they work out for you.
We’ll see. I suppose it will feel just like it did before. Nothing directed toward you Mike. I thought your experience was odd, like maybe something was wrong with a shock or two. It reminded me of @ac_ experience with OME 2933/2942. His rig was really wonky after those springs. For now I’m holding on to the Fox’s just in case the Rancho’s ride different. If they would just keep my tires on the road better (rebound), it would ride and handle better. The Rancho’s look like crap compared to the Fox’s. They also run can down which I really don’t like.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Sorry to hear the shocks have not worked out for you, I am sure you had high expectations for the switch based on good research. Hopefully you can send them back or recover most of thr cost by selling them on.

Reactions: JMT
Sorry to hear the shocks have not worked out for you, I am sure you had high expectations for the switch based on good research. Hopefully you can send them back or recover most of thr cost by selling them on.
Yeah, it kind of sucks spending all that money, but now with a set of proper Rancho’s, I can run them side by side and really get a good feel for the ride and handling.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:
Installed the front Rancho’s yesterday. Rear are still Fox. It’s not as jarring. Tires getting balanced at 3:00pm today, so looking forward to that! I’ll do the rears later today or tomorrow and make a decision as soon as I’m comfortable.

In other news, the Rubicon is going up for sale today or tomorrow. I just need to do a little vacuuming and find a place to take pictures. Just got an idea of a place!

Installed the front Rancho’s yesterday. Rear are still Fox. It’s not as jarring. Tires getting balanced at 3:00pm today, so looking forward to that! I’ll do the rears later today or tomorrow and make a decision as soon as I’m comfortable.

In other news, the Rubicon is going up for sale today or tomorrow. I just need to do a little vacuuming and find a place to take pictures. Just got an idea of a place!
What are you going to list it for? Asking for a friend...

I’m not sure the Rancho’s are much better. I only have them on the front so far, but so far they are only a tad better. Rears will likely tell all so I can put all these shocks on my buttometer spectrum.

Could the hunt for a perfect shock for your TJ be elusive? How much of a roll does the SWB play in ride and handling?

Reactions: Wildman
I’m not sure the Rancho’s are much better. I only have them on the front so far, but so far they are only a tad better. Rears will likely tell all so I can put all these shocks on my buttometer spectrum.

Could the hunt for a perfect shock for your TJ be elusive? How much of a roll does the SWB play in ride and handling?
From my experiment, the rears really make a different in ride quality. The front has the engine and it's pretty consistent. The rear had all the variability of the different tops, tires, rear seat, tools, etc. All the different shocks I tried never had issues with the front... It was always the rear.

Try the black max...

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Well, I was going to try the Rancho’s in the rear with the Rancho’s in the front, then try switching in the Fox’s in the front and Rancho’s in the rear. That plan isn’t going to work with my current setup.

When I installed the Rancho’s in the rear, the shock body was contacting the axle. I’d have to get shock extensions (which I sold a set in January to @voodooridr) or cut off and have a new set of lower shock mounts welded on. For now I’m stuck with the Fox’s in the rear. I really wanted to do the opposite, Fox’s in the front and Rancho’s in the rear. 🤷🏼‍♂️

From my experiment, the rears really make a different in ride quality. The front has the engine and it's pretty consistent. The rear had all the variability of the different tops, tires, rear seat, tools, etc. All the different shocks I tried never had issues with the front... It was always the rear.

Try the black max...
I’d love to try the Black Max, but now I’m in about $900 in shocks in the last few weeks. Should have just bought some tunable shocks and called it a day. Live and learn.

• Sad
I’d love to try the Black Max, but now I’m in about $900 in shocks in the last few weeks. Should have just bought some tunable shocks and called it a day. Live and learn.
Savvy going to let you return them?

That's how I was feeling after trying 3 full sets... Thankfully Amazon let me return the KYBs, and I was within the 90 days on the ranchos.

Reactions: voodooridr
Well, I was going to try the Rancho’s in the rear with the Rancho’s in the front, then try switching in the Fox’s in the front and Rancho’s in the rear. That plan isn’t going to work with my current setup.

When I installed the Rancho’s in the rear, the shock body was contacting the axle. I’d have to get shock extensions (which I sold a set in January to @voodooridr) or cut off and have a new set of lower shock mounts welded on. For now I’m stuck with the Fox’s in the rear. I really wanted to do the opposite, Fox’s in the front and Rancho’s in the rear. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Being the professional procrastinator that I am, I haven't installed the brackets yet if you would like to borrow them back.......................in the name of science

Being the professional procrastinator that I am, I haven't installed the brackets yet if you would like to borrow them back.......................in the name of science

All in the name of science..... Cause we all know how much so many around here only listen to THAT... :rolleyes:

I need to get you some measurements on my Walker Evens shocks and see if they might fit.... Be fun for you to have another set of shocks to play with.

Savvy going to let you return them?

That's how I was feeling after trying 3 full sets... Thankfully Amazon let me return the KYBs, and I was within the 90 days on the ranchos.
Savvy hasn’t responded to my email yet. It’s been 8-10 days. Doesn’t bother me too much. I ran them, so it’s their call. I don’t have a substantive complaint, but I can b——h! At this point, I want to cut off the factory lowers, weld on some lower shock relocation brackets, and call it a day with the Rancho’s in the rear. Put the Fox’s on up front.

Reactions: kiwi and Wildman
All in the name of science..... Cause we all know how much so many around here only listen to THAT... :rolleyes:

I need to get you some measurements on my Walker Evens shocks and see if they might fit.... Be fun for you to have another set of shocks to play with.
Send them. I’m inundated in numbers. Send me extended, collapsed and the travel!

@Mike_H , I wonder how valid it would be to try the Rancho 9000xl. I’m thinking that may be the ticket. Anyone know why not?

Last edited: