I made this simple table as my first project. Space is an issue in my garage too. In addition to being a table to weld on, it gives me space to store all the new welding stuff and what I didn’t expect is how much I use the extra flat surface when I’m not welding. I also put casters on it so I can move around easily (it’s heavy).
View attachment 308071
Nice setup. I also like the not so obvious tank retention device and the UCF skid hiding behind the chair. 👍🏻

Reactions: Woodrow
look on FB or your local sales sites. might could find a nice piece of plate for cheap. 3/8" is great, 1/4" will work. 3/16" will work if you clad another surface but it won't give you much spine to clamp to alone.

in my old garage i had a plate mounted on hinges to the wall, with a pair of drop down legs, when not needed it would fold up against the wall.
a roller stand can be handy for longer projects that extend beyond your surface. i may even have a roller and a couple tabs buried around here somewhere if you wanna make your own. i'll look around.

keep your eyes open for a chunk of copper, i have 1 about the size of a bic lighter it's great for plug filling old holes or joining sloppy cut corners. weld doesn't stick to it well.
find a couple pieces of old pipe and weld them to a small scrap plate, you can tack or clamp it close to your work area to hold your gun and welpers.

269799052_315927460573555_1237102541083864777_n.jpg

272851313_652592056056473_3303774687134813736_n.jpg

look on FB or your local sales sites. might could find a nice piece of plate for cheap. 3/8" is great, 1/4" will work. 3/16" will work if you clad another surface but it won't give you much spine to clamp to alone.

in my old garage i had a plate mounted on hinges to the wall, with a pair of drop down legs, when not needed it would fold up against the wall.
a roller stand can be handy for longer projects that extend beyond your surface. i may even have a roller and a couple tabs buried around here somewhere if you wanna make your own. i'll look around.

keep your eyes open for a chunk of copper, i have 1 about the size of a bic lighter it's great for plug filling old holes or joining sloppy cut corners. weld doesn't stick to it well.
find a couple pieces of old pipe and weld them to a small scrap plate, you can tack or camp it close to your work area to hold your gun and welpers.

View attachment 308194

View attachment 308196
I have a couple of heavy duty steel carts that I got when I worked for DoAll saws, Probably 40 years old but well made and heavy. Finding something like that for cheap is a good garage addition, could easily add a steel plate top and have a rolling bench.

find a couple pieces of old pipe and weld them to a small scrap plate, you can tack or camp it close to your work area to hold your gun and welpers.

View attachment 308194

View attachment 308196
I was wondering what thickness to use and was evaluating gauge and thickness charts as I looked at HF tops and such (which are 14 gauge, nowhere close to 3/16").

I'll get to looking since I've pretty much decided on a benchtop for now and later pick up a cart or weld my own on the bench. I read that I can use WD-40 on the steel to keep it from rusting. Sounds easy enough.

EDIT: The copper is a good idea. @Alex01 suggested the same for filling holes.

I was wondering what thickness to use and was evaluating gauge and thickness charts as I looked at HF tops and such (which are 14 gauge, nowhere close to 3/16").

I'll get to looking since I've pretty much decided on a benchtop for now and later pick up a cart or weld my own on the bench. I read that I can use WD-40 on the steel to keep it from rusting. Sounds easy enough.
if your just lookin to protect the bench you can get away with sheet metal and a welding blanket.
if you want something you can weld steady fixtures to then clean it up and do something else next wk, then you want a plate.
if you wanna lock down an axle so you can weld brackets and trusses, you want a plate.
the thicker the plate the less backing you need to keep it true.

a cart is very handy especially when workin on the rig. if you do your own, put decent wheels on it.

if your just lookin to protect the bench you can get away with sheet metal and a welding blanket.
if you want something you can weld steady fixtures to then clean it up and do something else next wk, then you want a plate.
if you wanna lock down an axle so you can weld brackets and trusses, you want a plate.
the thicker the plate the less backing you need to keep it true.

a cart is very handy especially when workin on the rig. if you do your own, put decent wheels on it.
On my way to get set up. Thanks for wisdom

$175 for 1/4” plate that’s 2’x3’
$136 for 3/16” plate that’s 2’x3’

At those prices I decided to contemplate between a plate for bench top welding or a welding cart. I’ve already scoured FB Marketplace.

Oxarc guy was really helpful and nice. He sent me to Alcobra for steel and I picked up some cutting discs and at HF a welding blanket.

76F10D31-CB9A-4A6C-BB17-CC90B3E6264A.jpeg

https://tinyurl.com/3r93cfwj
Go to page 10 of this thread and see the bench he built.

View attachment 308285
That’s a great way to do it, and you can build it where it’s the right height for your arms, which is 6-8” below your elbows.

It folds down

View attachment 308286

And back up into the wall for storage.

View attachment 308287

I checked it out. Really great idea. Super nice and smart way to do it since you can customize the height to your needs, which from what I read is 6-8” below your elbows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
$175 for 1/4” plate that’s 2’x3’
$136 for 3/16” plate that’s 2’x3’
dam, sorry. i get this crap for free, i know steel has gone up in cost but thats kinda crazy.

when you inquire about buying steel from a steel vendor, always inquire about "drops" or leftovers from others cuts, usually they can be had cheaper, since they are often odd sized remnants and your not askin for it to be cut or sheared to any particular size.

or even local fab shops, they might sell drops away a lot cheaper than a steel supply house.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT and NskLJ
dam, sorry. i get this crap for free, i know steel has gone up in cost but thats kinda crazy.

when you inquire about buying steel from a steel vendor, always inquire about "drops" or leftovers from others cuts, usually they can be had cheaper, since they are often odd sized remnants and your not askin for it to be cut or sheared to any particular size.

or even local fab shops, they might sell drops away a lot cheaper than a steel supply house.
I have a few metal shop that have cut off racks you can buy out of by the pound, one other one he just looks at it and say a price.

3/16" steel is about 7-1/2# per sq. ft., 1/4" is about 10#. We (the shop I work at) pay about $1.20 per pound, but we buy 100K per week. If you can get a suitable size rem for around $2/#, I'd jump on it. If they have to cut it to your spec, there's likely going to be a minimum labor charge added.

3/16" steel is about 7-1/2# per sq. ft., 1/4" is about 10#. We (the shop I work at) pay about $1.20 per pound, but we buy 100K per week. If you can get a suitable size rem for around $2/#, I'd jump on it. If they have to cut it to your spec, there's likely going to be a minimum labor charge added.
Beg forgiveness for ignorance, but what is rem steel?

For 3/16" steel

7.5lbs x 6 sq ft = 45 lbs x $2/lb = $90

Geez, I checked Alcobra. $27.75/sq ft for remnant 3/16” plate. Lots of steel distributors here but none answering the phone and it’s before 5pm. 🤷‍♂️ I’m going to try CdA metals in Spokane again tomorrow. They have a good rep.

Geez, I checked Alcobra. $27.75/sq ft for remnant 3/16” plate. Lots of steel distributors here but none answering the phone and it’s before 5pm. 🤷‍♂️ I’m going to try CdA metals in Spokane again tomorrow. They have a good rep.

Geezuz, I hope the offered some lube, or at least a reach around. I'm spoiled by working in a sheet metal fab shop.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT