This is what I did, I have a 24"x24" sheet I have for on top of my bench. I'll get a few more to cover the whole bench top, but for now it's sufficient. Better than the few fires I lit on the wood top!
I thought about a bench top sheet. Do you have any spacer underneath/short legs, or the like so you can use clamps?

I thought about a bench top sheet. Do you have any spacer underneath/short legs, or the like so you can use clamps?
Right now it's just a 16ga sheet I move around, legs for this would just let it bow unless I added a bit of structure. Usually I can get by with clamps (or magnets) between the things I need, it just requires a bit more creativity. To be honest, 95%+ of what I weld can't fit on a bench and is typically under my Jeep. The remainder is things like building training wheels for bikes we got second hand that were missing them, rebuilding a wagon for my wife's wedding planning work, and a few small inhouse projects like barn doors.

Reactions: JMT
Right now it's just a 16ga sheet I move around, legs for this would just let it bow unless I added a bit of structure. Usually I can get by with clamps (or magnets) between the things I need, it just requires a bit more creativity. To be honest, 95%+ of what I weld can't fit on a bench and is typically under my Jeep. The remainder is things like building training wheels for bikes we got second hand that were missing them, rebuilding a wagon for my wife's wedding planning work, and a few small inhouse projects like barn doors.
At you using a flame retardant blanket? Ventilation fan? Anything else I’m forgetting to ask? My wife already wants me to make a stand to hold plate weights.

Honestly, just go down to the local big box and get a sheet of 18 ga steel or something to throw down on your bench for now. That will keep the spatter from burning pits in the bench.

Once you get the feel of welding, building a welding table is a good first project. I'm sure you can find some DIY plans to build a folding table. Plus it will give you practice cutting steel with your grinder... Having a welder isn't much good if you can't cut steel too
This is what I did, I have a 24"x24" sheet I have for on top of my bench. I'll get a few more to cover the whole bench top, but for now it's sufficient. Better than the few fires I lit on the wood top!
This is the best place to start if you can clear the space. I would look for some carbon felt (aka welding blanket) to help with the sparks too. You can also use some welding magnets in place of clamps for a lot of projects as well.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Now I’m ready for a welding table. I hoped my garage purge and renovation would clear space for a permanent welding station, but that didn’t precipitate.

I need some suggestions or best choice of the following. It needs to be a foldable table. I really don’t even have room for a folding table, but I’ll make it work. Keep in mind I’ve never welded. This is for me to learn to weld in a good position (tabletop ~35” high). I’m hoping to get the Ar/CO2 this week, so hopefully by this weekend I can at least start making some beads. Help @someguysjeep or other welders like @Wildman, @Mike_H, @Blackjack. Not a big deal to spend $2-300 for table and accessories.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/nova-portable-welding-and-fabrication-table
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434325_200434325
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/817...FhalZ9j9OfrbdU8bORImsMe18X2tgxthoCI0oQAvD_BwE
https://www.grainger.com/product/19...ItnGPoItsfJujlRi1hRoCZgEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
For a welding table I use a 2’ x 4’ piece of 1/4” aluminum on two fold up saw horses. Sawhorses go up on hooks and plate slides behind a cabinet. I put it near the door so sparks don’t go down behind things and cause a fire. For welding magnets I would suggest buying some from a welding shop not harbor freight, they hold much better.

For a welding table I use a 2’ x 4’ piece of 1/4” aluminum on two fold up saw horses. Sawhorses go up on hooks and plate slides behind a cabinet. I put it near the door so sparks don’t go down behind things and cause a fire. For welding magnets I would suggest buying some from a welding shop not harbor freight, they hold much better.
Yep @JMT you have an Oxarc there. Be careful they have a lot of cool stuff.

Yep @JMT you have an Oxarc there. Be careful they have a lot of cool stuff.
Oh no. Maybe I should just go. I was looking at Oxarc today and planning to go there on Thursday. Maybe they have some steel I could use for a bench top welding surface. 👍🏼

I thought about that. You have a pretty good size welding surface. Thank you!

How important/helpful is it to have slots or holes in the table surface?

Reactions: NskLJ
Oh no. Maybe I should just go. I was looking at Oxarc today and planning to go there on Thursday. Maybe they have some steel I could use for a bench top welding surface. 👍🏼
Been a long time since I was in there but they were my first stop for PPE and metal cutting supplies.

Now I’m ready for a welding table. I hoped my garage purge and renovation would clear space for a permanent welding station, but that didn’t precipitate.…
I made this simple table as my first project. Space is an issue in my garage too. In addition to being a table to weld on, it gives me space to store all the new welding stuff and what I didn’t expect is how much I use the extra flat surface when I’m not welding. I also put casters on it so I can move around easily (it’s heavy).
DF194FEF-3B1A-4F3A-AE76-CBCDEF0CFF74.jpeg

i don't have room for an elaborate welding bench and just work off of horses or a makeshift table if i need 1.

most of the welding for the Jeep is done on the Jeep and that'd take a big bench to flip that over and clamp it down.

I’ve been thinking about cutting steel. I’ve got a table saw, mitre saw, circular saw and jigsaw. My understanding is if I have the right blades I can use those tools in addition to the grinder. Is that correct?
I use my grinder 95% of the time. The other times I use a sawzall or go to work and use the band saw. I just recently picked up a jigsaw, so I can see that being added to the rotation, though not often. I have cut aluminum on my miter saw and table saw. I bought a fiber blade for my mitersaw, but the sparks it creates was an issue for the saw. The blade insert is plastic, the dust chute is plastic, and it just isn't designed to cut steel. I had a little bit of rebuilding to do after that. Thinking about cutting steel on my table saw scares the bejezus out of me.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
I use my grinder 95% of the time. The other times I use a sawzall or go to work and use the band saw. I just recently picked up a jigsaw, so I can see that being added to the rotation, though not often. I have cut aluminum on my miter saw and table saw. I bought a fiber blade for my mitersaw, but the sparks it creates was an issue for the saw. The blade insert is plastic, the dust chute is plastic, and it just isn't designed to cut steel. I had a little bit of rebuilding to do after that. Thinking about cutting steel on my table saw scares the bejezus out of me.
Saws for cutting wood will work for non-ferrous but dry cut saws for cutting steel run at a much slower RPM, a reciprocating saw or a band saw are best alternative. We use jigsaws frequently for aluminum but honestly haven’t tried it on steel.

How important/helpful is it to have slots or holes in the table surface?
I don’t see a need for it, my plate has some holes around the edges but they were there when I got the plate. I have only needed a hole once to bolt a broken bolt ear off a intake manifold then I clamped the rest of the manifold to the plate to rig weld the ear back on. Some fab tables will have 1” holes drilled in them every 6” these are to drop clamps in, at work we have a steel fab table and cut off c clamps we will weld to the table as needed. It is a dedicated fab table 1” x 10’ x 10’ too big for home use.

@rasband, do you also have a welding cart in addition to the bench top 16ga plate? Just curious, I keep looking at them too and thinking about building one when I get proficient on the bench so I can take everything I need over to the Jeep or wherever I need to go.

Reactions: Wildman
@rasband, do you also have a welding cart in addition to the bench top 16ga plate? Just curious, I keep looking at them too and thinking about building one when I get proficient on the bench so I can take everything I need over to the Jeep or wherever I need to go.
Yes, I forget which cart I have but my initial plan was to build it. I got excited about doing other things instead and just bought one.

The Harbor Freight cart is pretty cheap to buy. I have that for my Hobart. Have the Miller cart for my Miller.