I hate DISCOUNT TIRE. I used to have good experiences with the one in Kerrville, TX. Then I moved. The one here could never balance my tires, so I drive an hour one way to a place that cares and gets it done the first time. I needed a plug, so I tried to fix it first, but broke my stupid HF tire tool. I took it in to Discount because I thought this is easy. They can do this. No need to drive 2 hours to get a plug. They fixed the flat, but I noticed later they took off my super short valve stem and put a gaudy big ass one on there. WTH? Can't they see what they're doing? I'm so done with them. That will be the last time I take my wife's Yukon, kids Rogue, or any of our vehicles to a DISCOUNT TIRE ever. Now I have to break the bead, pull their stupid stem and put in a super short. This is way too much work for a silly tire plug. Then I'm going to drive by DISCOUNT AND THROW IT AT THEIR WINDOW. If that were all I'd only be pissed, but they must have rotated the tire on the wheel because it's out of balance now. Now I have to drive two hours to get that fixed. Two hours and wait at least thirty minutes. WTH? I think I'm just going to sell the Jeep. I'm so tired of this crap. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

I hate being at the mercy of tire jockeys. Several times I've considered buying mount and balance machines from shops that went under.

There really aren't too many tricks.
#1 put less weight than the machine wants.respin. it might just be happy

#2 move smaller weight slightly one direction and the other on rim and see if it magically wants less for next weight.repeat til zero balance with minimal weight

#3move tire on wheel 1/4 turn at a time and do #1&2 again.

Zero balance on even swampers isn't rocket science.hardest part of a lot of shops is having some guy with half your iq lying and making excuses without much you can do

I hate being at the mercy of tire jockeys. Several times I've considered buying mount and balance machines from shops that went under.

There really aren't too many tricks.
#1 put less weight than the machine wants.respin. it might just be happy

#2 move smaller weight slightly one direction and the other on rim and see if it magically wants less for next weight.repeat til zero balance with minimal weight

#3move tire on wheel 1/4 turn at a time and do #1&2 again.

Zero balance on even swampers isn't rocket science.hardest part of a lot of shops is having some guy with half your iq lying and making excuses without much you can do

I have the same thoughts. Its old but true: If you want something done right, do it yourself!

I was helping a young kid with a YJ align it. He started it in gear and let out the clutch. It jumped the jack and broke the two clamps I use to hold the wooden alignment bars I use. He’s buying me new clamps, so I had an idea. The steel bars from the clamps are about 30” long. I made some new bars that slip over two studs and I can run a lug nut down on one/side to hold them in place when I need to align one of the TJ’s. Totally cool!

5A58284D-2CF4-4913-9286-82E3BC7693DD.jpeg

BF407BBD-833C-4642-8DDA-7B4E3FAAD132.jpeg

I picked up the InstaTrunk for $50 in Rathdrum. The guy had put khaki carpet on top. The adhesive is literally the worst thing to remove ever. I’ve tried heat, goo gone, Wd-40, razor blades, et al. Best so far is goo gone overnight followed by heat gun and razor. I’m getting there.

B194D538-F5AD-49CC-B62B-B2DD0F9D5387.jpeg

4D8E44E6-508D-499C-A093-31DDB9619432.jpeg

9953484C-C522-4FAF-A34B-6E8597D1172E.jpeg

0FD0108C-16EA-4059-9425-9E8E84F66EF4.jpeg

I picked up the InstaTrunk for $50 in Rathdrum. The guy had put khaki carpet on top. The adhesive is literally the worst thing to remove ever. I’ve tried heat, goo gone, Wd-40, razor blades, et al. Best so far is goo gone overnight followed by heat gun and razor. I’m getting there.

View attachment 410148

View attachment 410152

View attachment 410149

View attachment 410151

If that piece is metal (hard to tell if it is from pics), why not just hit it with a wire wheel?

Reactions: JMT
I did try an angle grinder with a flap disc. It was a mistake. It looked like spun taffy. Nuts.

can't use a grinder on plastic...it gets very melty, very quickly. Don't use acetone either. WD-40, believe it or not, works pretty good to remove adhesive residue. Rubbing Alcohol works too. I've had Goof Off melt certain plastics. Also, rotate your rag often. The adhesive will fill the pores, and you'll just push it around. Use a good paper towel (like the blue scott shop rags) and get rid of them when they are full.

Did you try a torch, or just heat gun? This is the metal version, correct?

Did you try a torch, or just heat gun? This is the metal version, correct?

Yes. It’s the metal version. I tried a propane torch. The heat gun was better. I don’t know what’s up with this adhesive, but it’s serious stuff. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Wildman
can't use a grinder on plastic...it gets very melty, very quickly. Don't use acetone either. WD-40, believe it or not, works pretty good to remove adhesive residue. Rubbing Alcohol works too. I've had Goof Off melt certain plastics. Also, rotate your rag often. The adhesive will fill the pores, and you'll just push it around. Use a good paper towel (like the blue scott shop rags) and get rid of them when they are full.

Yeah, I tried WD-40 too bc it’s a solvent. It works well on RTV. Didn’t touch this stuff. I didn’t try rubbing alcohol. It filled the pores of a scotch brite pad. Not much effect though. Goo gone is on it again tonight. I’ll see if I can wipe off what remains tomorrow, and if not I’ll go back to the heat gun and razor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I guess everyone saw the new Revolution 4140 Chromoly Shafts (Dana 44 Rear Disc Brake Discovery Series, 30 Spline). Red loctite on the threaded studs and ready to install. I’ll have two sets of backup shafts. I’ll probably sell one and keep one.

B195F354-21A3-46DA-A0BA-7868E7402522.jpeg

A632B9FE-6972-4F26-9B4E-CFDABAD125FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried WD-40 too bc it’s a solvent. It works well on RTV. Didn’t touch this stuff. I didn’t try rubbing alcohol. It filled the pores of a scotch brite pad. Not much effect though. Too gone is on it again tonight. I’ll see if I can wipe off what remains tomorrow, and if not I’ll go back to the heat gun and razor.

Ok. Just throwing this out there. Things that make it melty isn't working. Canned air upside down might freeze it and then a razor blade.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Right now it has a boatload of Goo Gone on it. This afternoon I suspect it’s going to scrape off fairly easily. Then I’ll be down to final cleanup. I’ll definitely be using rubbing alcohol for that. I really thought about just putting something over it, but there is some rust, and this is really the only way to remove it all. Plus, anything that sits on top of it is just asking for moisture to hide somewhere. Carpet holds dust. Sound deadener holds water. The list goes on why it’s bad idea to cover the lid. I’ve also tried a power washer. Did nothing even with the 0* tip. 🤣

Finished the top of the InstaTrunk. My hope is that it will contain most of my trail gear. Any extra space I can fill with a couple blankets to keep everything stable. Viair 400P, Tool Roll, and an Ammo Can with fluids and odds and ends will be back there. I’ll mount it up later this week, then remove and touch up other spots, then final install.

Recovery gear like soft shackles, tree straps, and winch control are easily accessible in the console.

46D2B286-9B76-4E20-A4D7-4F7CE3C2D789.jpeg

9FA0CA74-3B69-4A14-B97E-DC83FBB68A16.jpeg

B462F07F-21BF-446E-9D98-E42A693EBFF5.jpeg

I sat the InstaTrunk in its home to see what, if anything, I need to modify. It’s really snug. The tailgate fits really snug against the outer edge insulation strip too, but you definitely need to have it positioned right to be able to open the lid, or it will catch on the top edge off the tub, though I’m not sure how useful that feature is. It’s amazing how accurate the fit is. Bestop got this right. I’m going to install 4 nutserts and then I’ll paint the rest of it just so it all matches. I’ve got a nice mid to dark gray enamel. I may go with that to more closely match the BedRug. There’s not a lot of space for trail gear, but I’m going to make it all work. I’ve got a tool roll that I’ll put back there in addition to what you see. I just don’t have all the tools in it yet.

851079E3-B44F-4B46-8764-EE048250DA67.jpeg

Last edited:
I was helping a young kid with a YJ align it. He started it in gear and let out the clutch. It jumped the jack and broke the two clamps I use to hold the wooden alignment bars I use. He’s buying me new clamps, so I had an idea. The steel bars from the clamps are about 30” long. I made some new bars that slip over two studs and I can run a lug nut down on one/side to hold them in place when I need to align one of the TJ’s. Totally cool!

View attachment 410145

View attachment 410146
That's way too simple. Can I order a set lol