Finally worked up the motivation to start installing the Setrab transmission cooler. Blaine sent me some small parts awhile back. Super nice parts. I just got tired of working on the Jeep after the transmission swap, but I’m ready now. I’m mounting it to the V-Bar behind the grill. Tolerances are tight so I drew it out on a 3M sticky note and made the two strips of 1 1/4” wide x 1/8” thick steel brackets. Drilled the holes where they needed to be for the bosses. It fits well without touching the V-Bar or the back of the grill.

Laid down a few beads to warm up. It’s been awhile.

View attachment 530586
No warm ups needed if they look like that ;)

Reactions: JMT
@mrblaine, I got the Setrab cooler installed. 😎 Thanks for the pictorial and the small parts, especially your nice piece that gets you out of the dicey passenger side.
IMG_3658.jpeg

I couldn’t cut into the crimped portion of the line to add the tube and clamps because there hardly anything there, so I just removed the stock clip, pulled the hard line out of the radiator, and pushed the tube over the flared end. This was the biggest PITA because the flare is slightly larger than those on the AN fittings, and even with white lithium lubricant I could only get it 3/4” past the flare. It was good enough for two Oetika clamps! So far no leaks. The cooler is almost level and almost centered. Hard to get it perfect with limited tools and doing it the first time. I doubt anyone would notice. No leaks!!!

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

IMG_3675.jpeg

@mrblaine, I got the Setrab cooler installed. 😎 Thanks for the pictorial and the small parts, especially your nice piece that gets you out of the dicey passenger side.
View attachment 530927

I couldn’t cut into the crimped portion of the line to add the tube and clamps because there hardly anything there, so I just removed the stock clip, pulled the hard line out of the radiator, and pushed the tube over the flared end. This was the biggest PITA because the flare is slightly larger than those on the AN fittings, and even with white lithium lubricant I could only get it 3/4” past the flare. It was good enough for two Oetika clamps! So far no leaks. The cooler is almost level and almost centered. Hard to get it perfect with limited tools and doing it the first time. I doubt anyone would notice. No leaks!!!

View attachment 530945

View attachment 530946

View attachment 530947

View attachment 530948

View attachment 530949

Zip tie that SS line up to the other one to make it behave. Now that you've messed with the right side, you can understand easier why I make that fitting. If anyone is in need that is adapting into the 05-06 radiator trans cooler, I have the adapters from Quick Disconnect to -6 AN Male in Stainless Steel now. They should go from about 12 bucks each plus freight.

Other than all that drivel, looks good.

Zip tie that SS line up to the other one to make it behave. Now that you've messed with the right side, you can understand easier why I make that fitting. If anyone is in need that is adapting into the 05-06 radiator trans cooler, I have the adapters from Quick Disconnect to -6 AN Male in Stainless Steel now. They should go from about 12 bucks each plus freight.

Other than all that drivel, looks good.

What timing. I need a couple of those adapters. I’ll give you a shout. Probably owe ya a call anyway

Reactions: psrivats
There is a special place in hell for technicians that leave zip tie tails cut, but not flush, in electrical panels and other tight, confined areas in the type of equipment I work with...I have many, many scars from slicing my fingers open on those stupid things.

They don't generally get my fingers. My forearms from reaching around stuff to get a fastener loose are an entirely different story, so I agree fully with your assessment for their highly deserved punishment.

I’m really liking how smooth everything is working now. I’m airing down to 7.5psi on the beadlocks. The tires are hooking up very well on the loose terrain. I can just crawl. The auto transmission allows me to focus on other things that I wasn’t able to give my full attention to with the manual. I’m much more relaxed and that means less fatigue after a day of wheelin’. The transmission temps are much better, so I don’t have to worry about burning up my transmission. Airing up from 7.5 to 24.5 takes exactly 2 min 30 sec/tire.

I’m really liking how smooth everything is working now. I’m airing down to 7.5psi on the beadlocks. The tires are hooking up very well on the loose terrain. I can just crawl. The auto transmission allows me to focus on other things that I wasn’t able to give my full attention to with the manual. I’m much more relaxed and that means less fatigue after a day of wheelin’. The transmission temps are much better, so I don’t have to worry about burning up my transmission. Airing up from 7.5 to 24.5 takes exactly 2 min 30 sec/tire.

Now you get to learn how to actually drive the rig instead of steering a tractor.

Reactions: jjvw and JMT
There is a special place in hell for technicians that leave zip tie tails cut, but not flush, in electrical panels and other tight, confined areas in the type of equipment I work with...I have many, many scars from slicing my fingers open on those stupid things.

Nothing worse than having your hand inside a dash and have an angle cut zip tie get the back of your hand. I would rather they did not cut them at all.

@JMT these will get you by until you get good ones. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Light-Weight-Flush-Cutter-Pliers-D2755/100647983 Just do not use them on the monster zip ties.

Nothing worse than having your hand inside a dash and have an angle cut zip tie get the back of your hand. I would rather they did not cut them at all.

@JMT these will get you by until you get good ones. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Light-Weight-Flush-Cutter-Pliers-D2755/100647983 Just do not use them on the monster zip ties.

Thanks, and Klein usually makes good stuff in my experience. I’ll pick a pair up. I’ve got lots of zip tie in ends I can trim since the engine harness swap.

Thanks, and Klein usually makes good stuff in my experience. I’ll pick a pair up. I’ve got lots of zip tie in ends I can trim since the engine harness swap.

They are ok but not super durable.

I started with a no name 5 pack from Amazon. Then I got a couple pair of the Milwaukee versions, then I got the large and small pair of the Knipex. I'd be money ahead just starting with the Knipex and they have the added bonus of being able to cut more than zip ties and copper wire being rated to also cut steel wire.

Sooooooo, you’ll listen to a spotter now???

😉

(Sorry brother - couldn’t resist 🙂)

I started with a no name 5 pack from Amazon. Then I got a couple pair of the Milwaukee versions, then I got the large and small pair of the Knipex. I'd be money ahead just starting with the Knipex and they have the added bonus of being able to cut more than zip ties and copper wire being rated to also cut steel wire.

Wait...did I hear you correctly? Those flush cutting knipex are hard enough to cut steel? Now, I need to buy them. I've been getting buy just getting the inexpensive "gate trimmers" from injection molding supply houses. They do copper ok, but if you hit anything hard then that, they are ready for the garbage. They are cheap though...like 5-10 bucks.

Reactions: JMT