JMT, glad you had a good experience with Just Jeeps in Austin, they really are great folks to deal with. For sure the best jeep shop in the central Texas area and probably the state! Yeah my rig has issues from our last run at HF, that pop I heard in my rear was not good. They haven’t had time to look at mine yet hopefully they can get a look at it next week. You are also right on their pricing they are very reasonable, honest, and fair.
Dan mentioned something about a bearing in the rear diff. Maybe a carrier bearing. That’s too bad. Hopefully nothing big. I think your passenger Theresa did it. 😉 Sorry about that. 😞

Dan mentioned something about a bearing in the rear diff. Maybe a carrier bearing. That’s too bad. Hopefully nothing big. I think your passenger Theresa did it. 😉 Sorry about that. 😞
Yeah Tamra was there so I think I might go with that angle and see how that holds up 👍

If y’all go to the park today post up your thoughts and response your new toys 👌
We are doing it!

We will get some footage posted up after the run. I would also like to know how @JMT is going to like his new rear locker.

That is a bummer your jeep is down @Bob in Texas I thought that pop came from the rear also. Had it been making any noises after you got it home?

Reactions: Bob in Texas
We are doing it!

We will get some footage posted up after the run. I would also like to know how @JMT is going to like his new rear locker.

That is a bummer your jeep is down @Bob in Texas I thought that pop came from the rear also. Had it been making any noises after you got it home?
Yes when I would accelerate things were fine but when I would let off there was a purty good whine from rear☹️

• Sad
Reactions: b0xcar
I’m excited to see what happens when I go into 4L! The crawl ratio should be awesome

@2000 RPM with stock T-Case

(y)(y)

Reactions: JMT
@2000 RPM with stock T-Case
View attachment 76708

(y)(y)
What is the far right column? Is that mph?

And my crawl ratio in 4L @2000rpm you’re calculating at 55.11:1? I just want to make sure I’m reading the chart correctly. Also, how can I learn to calculate these values?

The wheelin trip was good. As far as the gears I was thoroughly pleased. The better crawl ratio definitely gave me more control. The Eaton E-Locker worked great. No binding going in or out. Of course, a rear locker helps a lot. I learned that mud can cancel out a locker unless you can happen to find some traction. Mud makes things difficult. IH8MUD. I always try to learn something when I’m out there as far as conditions and the capability of the rig. We had a couple of audiences during our trip. Two guys in an ATV and a Motorcycle followed us around for awhile just to watch and show videos, especially on a run called Slither. Later two JLU’s and a JK watched as I tried to crawl out of Royal Gorge. I was unsuccessful with 6 different lines. Maybe another day when there is less mud.

What is the far right column? Is that mph?

And my crawl ratio in 4L @2000rpm you’re calculating at 55.11:1? I just want to make sure I’m reading the chart correctly. Also, how can I learn to calculate these values?

The wheelin trip was good. As far as the gears I was thoroughly pleased. The better crawl ratio definitely gave me more control. The Eaton E-Locker worked great. No binding going in or out. Of course, a rear locker helps a lot. I learned that mud can cancel out a locker unless you can happen to find some traction. Mud makes things difficult. IH8MUD. I always try to learn something when I’m out there as far as conditions and the capability of the rig. We had a couple of audiences during our trip. Two guys in an ATV and a Motorcycle followed us around for awhile just to watch and show videos, especially on a run called Slither. Later two JLU’s and a JK watched as I tried to crawl out of Royal Gorge. I was unsuccessful with 6 different lines. Maybe another day when there is less mud.
Yes that’s mph on the right. Go to advance adapters website they have a crawl ratio calculator.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
The rig performed well off-road after the regear to Revolution 4.56 and Eaton E-Locker in the rear Dana 44. The front Dana 30 has the PowerTrax No Slip. This is a very capable setup for 33’s and a 3.0” SL with 1.25” BL. The crawl ratio was very good and more controlled, which is very helpful for a manual tranny.

Onroad the gears are fantastic. I can keep up with the flow of traffic and even pass, though I’m taking it easy for now. I’m 250 miles into them. 2850rpm at 70mph in 6th gear. They’re not a flashy mod, and you can’t see them, of course, but you feel the difference. Plus 456 just sounds good and you’re tempted to try almost anything off-road, which I tend to do. My son made me this birthday card on Thursday, the day before I got the Jeep back from the regear and lock. Read the p.s. at the bottom of the card.

He needs to say that. At this point what I have remaining are rear control arms, a Savvy, Genright or UCF TCase Skid, Genright crossmember, SSSYE and Tom Wood DC Driveshaft. I’ll plan this for early 2020 and wheel it for awhile and decide if I want to highline and go to 35’s, bigger brakes, and chromoly shafts. Right now I’m happy on 33’s though.

If you read this far, thanks to @Jerry Bransford and @Rob5589 for gear ratio thoughts on the 6 speed, @bobthetj03 and @Mike_H for all around great insights to my build, @b0xcar for putting up with my off-road shenanigans, @KCsTJ for your commitment to the TJ and to @Jeepers-n-Creepers for the gourmet linguistic dining you provide on the forum and especially @ac_ for encouraging me to keep going with this and assuring me it would all get done and be perfect. Thanks to several new faces on the forum. Stay at it and build what YOU want, YOUR way with the best knowledge of what YOU are trying to accomplish. And remember, if at first you don’t succeed, hit it with a little speed.

Last edited:
Not sure yet. My first tank looks to be worse mpg, but I may have just been happy on the gas pedal!

Reactions: KCsTJ
Completely understandable! 😁
I’ll report back when I have more data. That tank did pull a trailer for a bit too. It was 11.79mpg. I need to change out my speedo. I’m calculating these mpg’s based on actual GPS mileage vs the odometer.

It’s hard for me to imagine that running 2850rpm’s at 70mph is going to save gas though. Just my .02c. I know others disagree or get different mpg results. I wish I understood more about this topic.

Gotcha, it won't really be accurate until you replace the speedo gear, I forgot about that.
You will have first hand real life bona fide results soon enough.
I bet u take off from a stop in 2nd now, from a red light for example ? With your 4.56s I mean that 1st gear.... do you still use it in normal traffic?