Gotcha, it won't really be accurate until you replace the speedo gear, I forgot about that.
You will have first hand real life bona fide results soon enough.
I bet u take off from a stop in 2nd now, from a red light for example ? With your 4.56s I mean that 1st gear.... do you still use it in normal traffic?
I have been using the first gear. I can start with second if I want. I’ve been practicing two fingered shifting and allowing the shifter knob to float. It’s sliding into gear much easier, no need to manhandle it.

I’ll report back when I have more data. That tank did pull a trailer for a bit too. It was 11.79mpg. I need to change out my speedo. I’m calculating these mpg’s based on actual GPS mileage vs the odometer.

According to this speedo gear chart you should be running the 39 tooth gear.

Reactions: JMT
I already have a 41 tooth for a move to 37’s but the 12 step program is working for now.
Cool, i can see you are working your way thru the program nicely.

I'm still on or about step 2 or 3.

I move a bit slower with mods n stuff because I went delerious with jeep fever last year and bought two Tjs.
🤤😛😲
As a Dr. I'm sure you understand..

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
Got home from a trip and this was waiting. 1/4” RockHard 4x4 Dana 30 diff guard. Nice to have a little insurance for the internal investment.

It’s about time to change my diff fluid after the first 500 miles on the new gears. It will be nice to see inside.

Changed the gear oil front and rear. This is my first look at my new gears. I don’t see anything abnormal, but I don’t have trained eyes.

456 gears in Dana 30

New RockHard 1/4” Steel Diff Guard

456 gears in Dana 44

Old gear oil

Reactions: DrDmoney and b0xcar
Reactions: JMT
Great build. Tempting to go 33s and get the 4.56 and dump the 31s and nix the 4.10 regear. My appointment is a week away and I’m getting nervous about my decision lol. Are you still running on stock axle shafts?

Great build. Tempting to go 33s and get the 4.56 and dump the 31s and nix the 4.10 regear. My appointment is a week away and I’m getting nervous about my decision lol. Are you still running on stock axle shafts?
Yes, stock shafts are good with 33’s. I’ll go chromoly if I go to 35’s.

FYI, I used to run 31’s and they run pretty good. I really like 33’s. If I go to 35’s I’ll stay at 3” suspension lift, highline the hood, cut the rear wheel well and check my bumpstop. But before I ever get there, I’ll TT and run it on 33’s for awhile

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and DrDmoney
Yes, stock shafts are good with 33’s. I’ll go chromoly if I go to 35’s.

FYI, I used to run 31’s and they run pretty good. I really like 33’s. If I go to 35’s I’ll stay at 3” suspension lift, highline the hood, cut the rear wheel well and check my bumpstop. But before I ever get there, I’ll TT and run it on 33’s for awhile
From the looks of that trail in the video, your jeep definitely warrants your build. How often do you go wheeling?

From the looks of that trail in the video, your jeep definitely warrants your build. How often do you go wheeling?
I try to go once a month. I’m wanting to go right now.

This time of year I have MTB with my sons, it’s like every other weekend, so I am having a hard time finding time to go wheel and do one of the mods I’ve been thinking through for awhile.

I try to go once a month. I’m wanting to go right now.

This time of year I have MTB with my sons, it’s like every other weekend, so I am having a hard time finding time to go wheel and do one of the mods I’ve been thinking through for awhile.
I hear ya. Between taking call for work and kids it’s hard to get away for day on a weekend to go wheel. I feel guilty when I go for the whole day. But next time I plan to bring my 6 y/o with. Maybe eventually the wifey lol.

I hear ya. Between taking call for work and kids it’s hard to get away for day on a weekend to go wheel. I feel guilty when I go for the whole day. But next time I plan to bring my 6 y/o with. Maybe eventually the wifey lol.
It was always a fight between my five kids, only three could go. I got tired of that so I put them on a rotation. Sometimes the girls forego the trip, but they often go, especially the 7 yo. They love to wheel. Of course, I make it fun for them, we make lunch to take with, switch who sits up front, then after go clean the rig up at the car wash and then get them a sprite or something.

If you’re not 100%, hold off...

Reactions: KCsTJ
If you’re not 100%, hold off...
31s is the plan. Trying to stay true to it. My tires are pretty much new. I’m thinking 32s when these are done. Getting 4.56 means commiting to 33s which pulls me into the rabbit hole I’m trying hard to avoid. I’m in a shallow hole right now with a light at the end of the mod tunnel. Don’t wanna dig any deeper. After the axle swap and regear I’ll be in approx $6-7k in mods/upgrades in the short 6 months I’ve owned it. Might not sound like much to some that have major mods invested but it’s much more than I anticipated when I first bought it. I’d like to keep the balance of a street/stock Jeep that’s a sleeper on the trails. But nothing beats knowing you’ve done all the work (minus regear) to build it to where it is.

31s is the plan. Trying to stay true to it. My tires are pretty much new. I’m thinking 32s when these are done. Getting 4.56 means commiting to 33s which pulls me into the rabbit hole I’m trying hard to avoid. I’m in a shallow hole right now with a light at the end of the mod tunnel. Don’t wanna dig any deeper. After the axle swap and regear I’ll be in approx $6-7k in mods/upgrades in the short 6 months I’ve owned it. Might not sound like much to some that have major mods invested but it’s much more than I anticipated when I first bought it. I’d like to keep the balance of a street/stock Jeep that’s a sleeper on the trails. But nothing beats knowing you’ve done all the work (minus regear) to build it to where it is.
Man, I know exactly what you mean. $6-7K in six months is a lot of money. I’ve been building for over two years. It is way more than anticipated. Saying that now makes me want to stop after the tummy tuck. Then just save for off-road adventures. Like you, having done the work myself, minus the regear, has been very enjoyable. Cheers, you’ll have a very capable rig the way you’re going, and it won’t be overbuilt.

Reactions: jazngab and b0xcar