It made a HUGE difference for me. Before...I would bang that thing all over the place. After the 2" lift and 1" GT tuck, I don't know that I've hit it. I'm sure I have, but its not something that sticks out anymore. Now...its the stupid factory TC skid. I've got ideas there too, man...
Absolutely that TCase skid is stupid low. I am planning to fix that as well. I’ll be watching your progress with great interest. I think I’ll go Savvy but I’m not 100%

I started the gas tank skid clearance mod. The connectors are getting brittle on our Jeeps. I broke one and then broke a tiny plastic part off the fuel pump. Totally sucks. I’ve learned a few things though. I ordered a new Bosch pump, but I had some Plast-Aid and am trying to build a bridge to fix the fuel pump. Sort of just for laughs, probably not smart, but I’m doing it anyway to see how strong it will be by manana. It won’t hurt anything, the replacement won’t come till Monday. Anyway, progress so far.

Broken plastic stupid piece.
View attachment 82718
Skid after washing. I think I scrape my rear a lot
View attachment 82720
Sanded down as far as I’ll go for prepping
View attachment 82721
When they first came off the rig
View attachment 82722
You can see the line where I cut the skid and later re-tacked it 1.25” shallower

View attachment 82724

View attachment 82727
I’ll paint it tomorrow and it will look like a new car with hail damage.

View attachment 82723

View attachment 82725

View attachment 82726
Picture 5 disturbs me for some reason?

Got the skid sanded, cleaned up and painted. I also checked my plast-aid bridge on the fuel pump. I think it’s strong enough, but not sure it would stand up to gasoline. Besides, it’s a bit brittle, so I’ll just wait for the Bosch to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully install by Tuesday and be back on the road. A few pics for good measure.

Inside the skid

Self-etching primer outside. You can tell it’s still beat up! It’s a Jeep thing

Topcoat

Fuel pump with my plast-aid fix just as an experiment

Anyone ever notice this on the gas tank. “TJ 05.” Very cool 😎

@Mike_H, @jjvw, after trimming the gas tank skid down for more clearance, the gas tank straps are too short. How do I fix that?

@Mike_H, @jjvw, after trimming the gas tank skid down for more clearance, the gas tank straps are too short. How do I fix that?
Slot the holes in the skid. Dig through my build thread. I have pics somewhere around the rear mid arm install.

Reactions: JMT
My solution while sleeping on it; a coupling nut and some threaded rod. 👻

I finished the gas tank clearance mod and replaced the fuel pump. A bit of a pain, but I'm very happy about the extra clearance. I'll post up pics later and maybe do a write-up. There are a few unsaid things in the solid instructions found on unsaid Jeep forum.

Just one more thing to be done before MOAB, and it's an easy thing. Then just wheel and have fun getting ready to go...

Reactions: b0xcar
I finished the gas tank clearance mod and replaced the fuel pump. A bit of a pain, but I'm very happy about the extra clearance. I'll post up pics later and maybe do a write-up. There are a few unsaid things in the solid instructions found on unsaid Jeep forum.

Just one more thing to be done before MOAB, and it's an easy thing. Then just wheel and have fun getting ready to go...

Is the 1.25" BL required to do this mod? I'm going to assume so.

Is the 1.25" BL required to do this mod? I'm going to assume so.
Yes, some butt crack needed. Why don't you peak in behind your rear driver wheel and look between the tub and frame and see how much space you have between the tank and tub. With the 1.25" BL I had tons of space everywhere except the shock mount crossmember. That will tell you what you need to know. I did 0.75" at the front inccreasing to 1.25" at the rear. I was just trying to make the most of the space that was available. I think I've accomplished that with a lot of pain and suffering. It's really MY JEEP now!!!1

Reactions: jjvw
Do the bolt heads make any contact with the tank once it's back in the skid? Any chance of them wearing on the plastic tank?

looks damn good.
(I slightly bent my tail pipe....I'm going to lop it off even with the tank)

Looks like a CB antenna added too.

Reactions: JMT