I've only seen the more recent pages of this thread so I finally sat down and started reading from the beginning. I'm about 1/4 of the way through now and it's been cool seeing what people recommended / ran back in 2017 vs where most are now. @JMT I fully understand what you were talking about regarding your build at elephant hill now.

@bobthetj03 35s are a midlife crisis!!!! 🤣 I may need 40s then during mine.

Excited to catch up on the rest.

Jeremy have you considered adding a hand throttle? I noticed in a lot of the videos you're using your hand brake to hold you while you dance with the clutch and gas. I have only used mine a handful of times but when I do it's a lot easier to throttle with your thumb (or clamp it down and set it at a particular rpm), hold the brake with your right foot, and ease off the clutch with the left.

Next summer once you're Settled down in Spokane we should meet up in Tillamook State Park. I'm sure @bobthetj03 and @lowranger are looking for an excuse to use their RV's.

Most exciting news though is I have been approved for Moab again in 2021. I still need to run Hell's.

Last edited:
Yes sir! Always looking to use the RV. Just got back yesterday evening from a 4 day trip in the Nevada desert with the Rzr.
IMG_20190608_102955521.jpg

I've only seen the more recent pages of this thread so I finally sat down and started reading from the beginning. I'm about 1/4 of the way through now and it's been cool seeing what people recommended / ran back in 2017 vs where most are now. @JMT I fully understand what you were talking about regarding your build at elephant hill now.

@bobthetj03 35s are a midlife crisis!!!! 🤣 I may need 40s then during mine.

Excited to catch up on the rest.
Thanks for reading through my build thread. If you have any suggestions, I'm always open to that. looking for good ideas. I've tried to stay functional. @bobthetj03 was instrumental in that, and keeping me focused! I forgot he said "35's are a midlife crisis!!!" That's cracking me up! 🤣 However, I can safely say I was having one at the time!

Jeremy have you considered adding a hand throttle? I noticed in a lot of the videos you're using your hand brake to hold you while you dance with the clutch and gas. I have only used mine a handful of times but when I do it's a lot easier to throttle with your thumb (or clamp it down and set it at a particular rpm), hold the brake with your right foot, and ease off the clutch with the left.
I have considered the Teraflex. I should have looked at yours while we were in Moab. I've yet to see one in person. I'ts good to get your feedback. I'll reconsider. At the time I didn't like the idea of another piece of equipment in the cab. I also thought, I can learn to drive and keep my peddle steady. I have improved, and the lower gearing helps tremendously, but there are still moments.

Next summer once you're Settled down in Spokane we should meet up in Tillamook State Park. I'm sure @bobthetj03 and @lowranger are looking for an excuse to use their RV's.
HaHa. Absolutely, Tillamook looks beautiful. Let's do it!

Most exciting new though is I have been approved for Moab again in 2021. I still need to run Hell's.
Awesome, Hell's for sure man! I bet I can make that trip...

I have considered the Teraflex. I should have looked at yours while we were in Moab. I've yet to see one in person. I'ts good to get your feedback. I'll reconsider. At the time I didn't like the idea of another piece of equipment in the cab. I also thought, I can learn to drive and keep my peddle steady. I have improved, and the lower gearing helps tremendously, but there are still moments.

Like I said I have only used it a handful of times but in situations like the one I found myself in on poison spider ridge where you really don't want to roll backwards it's nice not having to mess around with the e brake. I have the same Teraflex one you mentioned. My only complaint is that the wire shielding provided was way to short. (wire had more than enough length). I went down to the local bike store and got a larger amount so it wasn't to much of a hassle. If you do decide to go that route I'll take as many photos as you need so you can see at least the way I went about it.

Another fun factor of the hand throttle is when I get really bored I use only hand controls and the brake / engine braking. Hand throttle rev matching is a skill everyone needs right ;)

I'm waiting for you to get that TT you have been talking about for 2 years now.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Like I said I have only used it a handful of times but in situations like the one I found myself in on poison spider ridge where you really don't want to roll backwards it's nice not having to mess around with the e brake. I have the same Teraflex one you mentioned. My only complaint is that the wire shielding provided was way to short. (wire had more than enough length). I went down to the local bike store and got a larger amount so it wasn't to much of a hassle. If you do decide to go that route I'll take as many photos as you need so you can see at least the way I went about it.

Another fun factor of the hand throttle is when I get really bored I use only hand controls and the brake / engine braking. Hand throttle rev matching is a skill everyone needs right ;)

I also endorse the hand throttle. I like it a lot. Comes in handy. Pun intended.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
It's coming...This is an expensive year with the move and all. I sold a Jon boat and a trailer in the last two weeks, but wife says that money needs to go to the move. I agree but want to spend it on parts for the TT. :LOL: It was my boat and my trailer. She never used them! I'll know in the next couple of months whether I'll have enough money to start going down that rabbit hole. If not, I may have to wait till next year. I really want to get it done because I'm convinced it's all my build needs to be just right. I may start buying parts, I have enough to get the CA's or the SS SYE. But I'll probably just wait till after the move...

The fact that I have a normal SYE is one of the biggest things keeping me from getting a TT. That and I dream of one day buying an atlas 2 speed. For those reasons I would probably get a skid like @bobthetj03 did. I have yet to get stuck on my belly skid so it hasn't really been on my radar. I have a 2001 so mine is already a bit more tucked then you guys with 2003+

Another thing to consider with a TT is vibes. If your rig is sensitve to change, like mine, tuck too high and you end up working backwards to correct it. That's probably the only minus about the savvy tt i can think of.

Another thing to consider with a TT is vibes. If your rig is sensitve to change, like mine, tuck too high and you end up working backwards to correct it. That's probably the only minus about the savvy tt i can think of.
To piggy back on that Jim and I were talking about build speed the other day. If it was me I would install the SS SYE and run it for a while before the TT. That way it's easier to pin point problems if they arise instead of using a shotgun approach to fix them. (a lake/ocean if you're Tom of Jim)

If you've been following @psrivats 's plight, you'd undetstand my once bit, twice shy mentality. I'm still trying to figure out why lowering my skid 3/4" has helped my vibes.

I have a 2001 so mine is already a bit more tucked then you guys with 2003+
You suck again! I keep hitting my skid, don't think I've ever been stuck on it. It just sits on it and makes all kinds of horrid sounds and the lockers pull you off. It's funny how after awhile of wheeling you hit something and say, that's gas tank skid, that's the Tcase skid, diff. :ROFLMAO:

I want to do the TT for the clearance, of course, but also because with the NSG370 transmission and a MML, the angle of the shifter forced me to extend the shifter and move the console 1" back. This is easier to do on 1997-04 models. The 2005-06 is a pain. My console is basically being held down by 1 screw. It's a little rickety! My wife hates it, so I guess I'm going to do the $1600 fix to please her. :p Once I get the TCase raised up with a TT, the angle will correct and I can move my console back forward and bolt it back down in all the normal places. I mean, at that point, it will basically be perfect. As it is now, it's still super nice. I have no complaints. Sometimes I want a 4" + 1.25, and that day may come, my wife thinks it will, but IDK, I'm pretty happy.

If it was me I would install the SS SYE and run it for a while before the TT.
So, can I run the SS SYE with my stock drive shaft?

I remember reading Jim's thread, the idea to fix his vibes was the SYE, but unfortunately it didn't work. I think he has Adam's driveshaft.

Reactions: Alex01
I didn't think so. So if I installed a SS SYE and DC at my current TCase height, then raised it with the crossmember, it would change my rear driveshaft length. Then I'd have to buy a longer driveshaft, right?

Reactions: Alex01
So, can I run the SS SYE with my stock drive shaft?

I remember reading Jim's thread, the idea to fix his vibes was the SYE, but unfortunately it didn't work. I think he has Adam's driveshaft.
I didn't think of that.... I guess you need to do both at once or you'll be resizing the ds again.

You'll need a dcds and at minimum adjustable uppers.
Yeah, I'm on the fence between MC's and Savvy JJ's. I have the money now, just waiting to pull the trigger. I can do those anytime, but no reason to go ahead when all is well

Reactions: tomtaylz
I didn't think of that.... I guess you need to do both at once or you'll be resizing the ds again.
Yeah, I think it's a whole enchilada deal. So, what's another $1600? 🤣 I need to go set up a GoFundMe account.

Woe is me. My whole Jeep project has slowed down considerably. I've poured $8,000 of my hard earned money into it and now I can't finish it! Have you ever had that feeling of not being able to finish something? I'm starting to feel estranged from my Jeep community, especially those who already had a tummy tuck. Those who had breast enlargements look at me like I'm an alien. I'm starting down the road to depression and can't afford the medicine for that either. A quick fix would be to GoFundMe so I can just get the Jeep finished. Any help appreciated. Signed, Fat Belly Jeep Club Member