OK, to try and solve my death wobble problem, today putting on my new drag link and ZJ tire rod conversion with Moog parts, plus a fresh steering dampener By Rubicon Express. All the parts except the steering dampener needed to be degreased, sanded and painted. I used some etching primer and then four coats of black satin Duplicolor made for wheels.

When I remove my OEM steering dampener, it still has some life in it, but I was there already so just switched it out. I rechecked my ball joints and rotors and everything seems good there. I think the Pitman arm is fine too. So I'm very hopeful that this solves the death wobble, Which I was even getting this morning just driving a few miles down the road.
View attachment 21347
View attachment 21348
View attachment 21349
View attachment 21350

I'm using the torque specs for the 93 to 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ for the part that is the conversion. They drag link is TJ. Wish me the best guys! Another Just Empty Every Pocket day.
I wanted 35s too....I'm glad I went with 33s. I have noticed a little power loss with 33s, so I couldn't imagine 35s and I have the 4.11 gears.

Finished up! Definitely needed a pickle fork to remove drag link at Pitman. Everything else went smooth. Went for a spin. Stayed on the backroads that give me so much trouble. Stayed in the 40-45mph zone that is so problematic. No DW. Feels pretty solid. No shimmy. I think I'll have the tires balanced for good measure. The ZJ Tie Rod is way beefier than the TJ. 1" solid steel bar rather than a hollow bar ~ .75". Moog parts for ZJ are also far better. Have to paint though! Beware. Took me all of about 5 hours with priming and painting.
IMG_6682.JPG

ZJ solid steel left; TJ hollow steel right
IMG_6683.JPG

Greased the zerks. By the way, I put in five squirts, didn't want to overdo but. How much should I put in? Aligned it perfectly. The finished product!
IMG_6685.JPG

She looks better than ever!
IMG_6686.JPG

Congrats!

Once you do the steering the first time, you can do it again in a matte of 10-15 minutes the next time. Hell, I've removed my Currie Currectlync so many times (to work on other stuff), that I have everything memorized like the back of my hand, it's almost effortless.

Everything looks so good when it's clean and dirt free, huh?

Reactions: JMT
Congrats!

Once you do the steering the first time, you can do it again in a matte of 10-15 minutes the next time. Hell, I've removed my Currie Currectlync so many times (to work on other stuff), that I have everything memorized like the back of my hand, it's almost effortless.

Everything looks so good when it's clean and dirt free, huh?
Yeah, but dirtying it up again is fun! Here's to all the REAL Jeepers on the forum!:beer-toast1: Oh wait, everyone with a TJ is a REAL Jeeper

How much grease should I put in my zerks at the Tie Rod/knuckle, Tie Rod/drag link, drag link/Pitman and drag link/knuckle?

I put 5 squirts for starters

How much grease should I put in my zerks at the Tie Rod/knuckle, Tie Rod/drag link, drag link/Pitman and drag link/knuckle?

I put 5 squirts for starters

I put it in until it just barely starts to come back out (as in you can't get anymore in).

I wanted 35s too....I'm glad I went with 33s. I have noticed a little power loss with 33s, so I couldn't imagine 35s and I have the 4.11 gears.
I can still go to 35's later, if i get the itch! When I was looking at my gear ratios, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think 4.30 was ideal for 33's and 4.61 for 35's. Of course, those ratios don't exist, so I was going to go with 4.56. Really that would work for 33's or 35's. So it's still an option even if I regear. Though I'm sure some would say I should go with 4.88 if 35's.

I can still go to 35's later, if i get the itch! When I was looking at my gear ratios, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think 4.30 was ideal for 33's and 4.61 for 35's. Of course, those ratios don't exist, so I was going to go with 4.56. Really that would work for 33's or 35's. So it's still an option even if I regear. Though I'm sure some would say I should go with 4.88 if 35's.
I'm really liking the KM2s in a 33. Lightweight and smaller for a 285. Not too much power loss. Looks right for the lift I have. Still think the AEV highline is the way to go lol but who has one of those lying around for sale these days. If they put those back into production they would make a killing.

I put it in until it just barely starts to come back out (as in you can't get anymore in).
These Moog boots are way better than stock. Really nice
Well done sir! Like Rob said, till the boot starts to swell, then a final squirt.
The Moog boots have a pressure release feature designed into the boot. Great for those that are always getting wet. Pump'em till they squirt. Any excess will dribble out. Wipe'm off and they are ready to go again.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I thought I read this whole thread, but I think I missed something. I saw where you talked about possibly changing your sway bar links, but missed what you ended up getting. Looking at the pic it looks lik some sort of disco. What did you decide on?

I thought I read this whole thread, but I think I missed something. I saw where you talked about possibly changing your sway bar links, but missed what you ended up getting. Looking at the pic it looks lik some sort of disco. What did you decide on?
For now just homemade quick disconnects. They work fine for $5. I really can't decide if I want to drop $400 on the antirock. If I decide against it I'll either upgrade to RE quick disconnects or upgrade my existing hardware to grade 8

Reactions: Chris
Hey guys,

I'm new to the Jeep world. Oh, I had a 2004 Cherokee once, but got my first Wrangler TJ in December, 2016, and that's a whole new world. I think I am addicted. Anyone else have that problem around here? LOL. Anyway, this Jeep was stock and low miles, 46K. I looked for six months before I happened on it and was the first to call! Anyway, I want to run 33x12.5r17 or r15. I installed a RE BB last week. Great first project. Supposed to be 2" but in reality the front turned out to be 1 1/4" and rear 1 3/4".

That said, I have three questions. First, what is your opinion on 15's vs 17's? I am not planning to do any heavy wheelin, though I do get offroad weekly. I have gravitated to r17's because I think it might look meaner and tire sizes seem to be going away from 15's. The rims I found that I like are 17x9 Pro Comps but I'm sure there are sill some 15's out there I would like.

Second, the person at Quadratec said all I need to do to run 33's is add a flat fender kit such as Bushwacker or Xenon. I asked about a 1.25' body lift and that seemed frowned upon. I was thinking I may not have to do the fenders if I did the body lift, and the body lift is much cheaper. What are your thoughts? And while your at it, what are your thoughts on Bushwacker vs Xenon as well as 4" or 6" width, keeping in mind the 33's coming on 17x9 wheels with backspacing of 4.75"?

Third, should I do the tires and wheels first and see if they can fit under stock flares? Or do the flares or body lift first because if I don't I'll get myself in trouble? I appreciate feedback from all you guys with years of experience. Here's a pic of the Jeep with the 2"BB ...View attachment 11839
Hello
Nice buy. I have a 1997 Jeep TJ with a 2" body lift (soon adding a 2" suspension lift from Por Comp), 6" Bushwacker flares and offset rims (15's) and been running 33x12.5x15 tires with NO ISSUE. I would stay away from 17" rims just cause the tires cost more, but if budget is not an issue go for it. I am upgrading to tube flat fenders. I drive a lot of gravel roads and with rocks flying at 65mph the bushwackers have taken a beating, cracked, and I do have holes in them... (Not so bullet proof IMO) lol. if you are serious about changing fenders I would go with the steel flatfender. good luck

Hello
Nice buy. I have a 1997 Jeep TJ with a 2" body lift (soon adding a 2" suspension lift from Por Comp), 6" Bushwacker flares and offset rims (15's) and been running 33x12.5x15 tires with NO ISSUE. I would stay away from 17" rims just cause the tires cost more, but if budget is not an issue go for it. I am upgrading to tube flat fenders. I drive a lot of gravel roads and with rocks flying at 65mph the bushwackers have taken a beating, cracked, and I do have holes in them... (Not so bullet proof IMO) lol. if you are serious about changing fenders I would go with the steel flatfender. good luck
Yeah, my fav steel fenders are JCR. Technically not a tube fender, but a design that will superced tube fenders for their outer edge strength. There would be cutting involved, or new inner fenders and try to recover some cost by selling stock fenders. Anyway, good to know your clearance is good for 33's with 2"

I went with 15's and am very pleased. Already have rock rash, so new rims in in a couple of years. Then I may go to two sets, one for DD and one for crawlin'

Last edited:
The wheel balance after ZJ Tie Rod Conversion + Drag Link made my ride smoother. I was 1.5oz off in Front driver and 1.25 off on Front passenger. Had them balanced on Road force machine.

After fighting to chase down DW for awhile you can forget how a TJ is supposed to drive. This makes it harder to know if you've fixed it as you replace component after component. It may improve after you replace a component but not be fixed and show up again later. I think I am at the point it's solved. Only took $500.

The wheel balance after ZJ Tie Rod Conversion + Drag Link made my ride smoother. I was 1.5oz off in Front driver and 1.25 off on Front passenger. Had them balanced on Road force machine.

After fighting to chase down DW for awhile you can forget how a TJ is supposed to drive. This makes it harder to know if you've fixed it as you replace component after component. It may improve after you replace a component but not be fixed and show up again later. I think I am at the point it's solved. Only took $500.
Time to pull the trigger on some new body armor yet?