Update: tiny spring for my PowerTrax No Slip came in this morning. Of course, I was at work and had an MTB ride at 6pm and I needed a 13mm 12 pt socket to tighten down my axle retaining bolts to 75 ft/lbs. So I raced to Ace at 4:15, then drove home way out in the country, changed clothes, grabbed the spring and some grease, shoved that puppy in, did the turn simulation test, it worked perfect so I put the RTV on the diff cover, waited 10 minutes for it to become tacky and tightened down the axle retaining bolts to 75 ft lbs, got hte diff cover on and hand tightened the 10 bolts, then tightened them down, and lastly torqued to 28ft lbs, started pouring the 80w-90 gear fluid into the fill hole, it takes 1.25 qts, plugged it, torqued down to about 25f lbs and took it for a spin. WE live out the country, long gravel drive. I’m trying to get on the road for my MTB run and we’re trying to eat first, so mind you, I didn’t get home till 4:35 and we’re leaving at 5:20 to go eat. In 2wd it’s like the same Jeep I always drove, absolute dream on turns, straights, it doesn’t matter, I put it in 4wd low, man did that ever change things, I have never felt anything like that in my life, my 8 year old daughter said, “Dad that feels beefy.” Uh, yeah, it does, the steering is different, I’m going to have to practice, but you can tell just going into 4wd that this thing is a true beast now. Lockers are the bomb. Best mod I ever did to my Jeep, hands down. I can’t wait to get this thing on the trail. I’ll take it around our property tomorrow, we have a ledge and a few climbs. Thanks @Jerry Bransford for suggesting this mod and clarifying the terrain and instances and climate these lockers would excel in. Thanks @Rob5589 for some clarifications and torque specs for the Dana 30 axle. Thanks @KCsTJ for encouraging me. Thanks @b0xcar for being my number one wheelin buddy and talking mods out and just being a friend!

Update: tiny spring for my PowerTrax No Slip came in this morning. Of course, I was at work and had an MTB ride at 6pm and I needed a 13mm 12 pt socket to tighten down my axle retaining bolts to 75 ft/lbs. So I raced to Ace at 4:15, then drove home way out in the country, changed clothes, grabbed the spring and some grease, shoved that puppy in, did the turn simulation test, it worked perfect so I put the RTV on the diff cover, waited 10 minutes for it to become tacky and tightened down the axle retaining bolts to 75 ft lbs, got hte diff cover on and hand tightened the 10 bolts, then tightened them down, and lastly torqued to 28ft lbs, started pouring the 80w-90 gear fluid into the fill hole, it takes 1.25 qts, plugged it, torqued down to about 25f lbs and took it for a spin. WE live out the country, long gravel drive. I’m trying to get on the road for my MTB run and we’re trying to eat first, so mind you, I didn’t get home till 4:35 and we’re leaving at 5:20 to go eat. In 2wd it’s like the same Jeep I always drove, absolute dream on turns, straights, it doesn’t matter, I put it in 4wd low, man did that ever change things, I have never felt anything like that in my life, my 8 year old daughter said, “Dad that feels beefy.” Uh, yeah, it does, the steering is different, I’m going to have to practice, but you can tell just going into 4wd that this thing is a true beast now. Lockers are the bomb. Best mod I ever did to my Jeep, hands down. I can’t wait to get this thing on the trail. I’ll take it around our property tomorrow, we have a ledge and a few climbs. Thanks @Jerry Bransford for suggesting this mod and clarifying the terrain and instances and climate these lockers would excel in. Thanks @Rob5589 for some clarifications and torque specs for the Dana 30 axle. Thanks @KCsTJ for encouraging me. Thanks @b0xcar for being my number one wheelin buddy and talking mods out and just being a friend!
If an 8 year old can tell a difference and then say, that feels beefy...lol I bout split a gut... I'm sold on the locker! :)

I ran 31's the first 5 years of jeep ownership, and wish I would have stayed with that size, just saying.

Why? The Jeep I am looking at has brand new, aggressive tread 31" tires. It will be my daily driver and I plan to off road at least once a month on trails and rock crawling. I love the look of 33" and feel they will be better off road (judging by my wife's Jeep). Can you tell me why you regretted your decision?

Wait... so the locker you put in, the PowerTrax No Slip, is an automatic locker that you didn't notice in 4H but as you mentioned as soon as you dropped into 4Low you felt the locker kick in. Is that true or did you need to get on it or try to induce slip to get it to engage?

Why? The Jeep I am looking at has brand new, aggressive tread 31" tires. It will be my daily driver and I plan to off road at least once a month on trails and rock crawling. I love the look of 33" and feel they will be better off road (judging by my wife's Jeep). Can you tell me why you regretted your decision?

To do 33's right, you need to modify a few things first.
1. Better brakes. Stock brakes were never meant to perform well with anything other than a 30" tire.
2. Beefier steering. ZJ tie rod end and a good adjustable track bar.
3. 3.5" of lift minimum to maintain at least close to factory up travel. Can be done with a combination of body lift and suspension lift.
4. Re-gear. Yeah, you can get away with 3.73's and a 5 speed for a while, but it is far from optimal if you enjoy getting the full potential out of your power plant.
5. Do you really want to drop your TC skid 1" or more because now you have drive line vibes after the 2.5" or more lift? So, a SYE and double cardan rear drive shaft are in order.
6. Can't adjust your pinion angles without adjustable control arms, so they are next.
7. More bumpstop. Minimum 2" additional bump stop if you plan on keeping your stock fenders, and disco the front sway bar at all.

I'm sure I have forgot stuff, but if I had stuck with 31's and my OME 2.5" lift, I could have just tossed on some Black Magic brake pads/Centric rotors, a ZJ tie rod, and put all that scratch towards some under armor and called it a day.

Reactions: KCsTJ
WOW... I have so much to learn :/
I never thought 2"s of tire could make for that much work. OK, you present a very good argument for leaving it at 31" for now because I am not in any way ready to do all of that other stuff right when I buy it. You note a 2.5" lift with 31" is what you had yet you mention that at 2.5" and above you get drive line vibes. Did you get those when you were running the 31" tires and 2.5" lift?
If I buy this, leave the 31" tires on it (they are 31" x 10"), put no more than 2.5" lift on it why would I need to replace my tie rod?

I do plan on some rock crawling so the under armor sounds like a simpler solution however I do like the look and feel of an aggressive lift. Maybe one day, I need to start somewhere and I think this LJ I'm going to look at is a great start.

I never thought 2"s of tire could make for that much work. OK, you present a very good argument for leaving it at 31" for now because I am not in any way ready to do all of that other stuff right when I buy it. You note a 2.5" lift with 31" is what you had yet you mention that at 2.5" and above you get drive line vibes. Did you get those when you were running the 31" tires and 2.5" lift?
If I buy this, leave the 31" tires on it (they are 31" x 10"), put no more than 2.5" lift on it why would I need to replace my tie rod?

I do plan on some rock crawling so the under armor sounds like a simpler solution however I do like the look and feel of an aggressive lift. Maybe one day, I need to start somewhere and I think this LJ I'm going to look at is a great start.

I got drive line vibes after the lift, so I had to lower the TC 3/4" to eliminated them. Some don't, so every TJ is different. The ZJ tie rod was just added insurance since I wheel in the rocks on occasion.

The stock TJ tie rod is just wimpy. It’s a narrow, hollow tube. I you’re going to be playing in the rocks the ZJ tie rod is a very good mod. I’ve seen stock tie rods bend on the trail just hitting one rock (and I’ve only been wheelin a little over a year).

If you read this whole build thread, and you can skip by a lot, you’ll see how I went from stock and 31’s to 33’s. It’s a journey of learning and understanding what you are doing, and then planning what you want for your Jeep and HOW to get there.

Yeah I have skimmed it and I see a wealth of knowledge. It sounds like making the jump from 31" to 33" is a pretty big investment. But FIRST I need to get my Jeep!!! I'm pretty pumped about checking out this LJ tomorrow night. If the frame is solid and it looks as good in real life as the pics then it's a solid buy and a great starting point.

This is what I would do. You'll hear a lot of us say (myself included) that if we could have done it all over again, we would have just stuck with 31" tires and a high quality, small lift, such as the 2.5" OME lift.

I realized after I did 33" tires, that I absolutely do not need them at all. It's way too much for the sort of stuff I do with my Jeep.

You are the second guy to say this. I LOVE the look of your ride on 33s but I am hearing over and over again about how much other stuff is involved with getting 33s to be setup right. I do like the idea of more ground clearance but the reality is you are literally gaining only 1" of ground clearance for a heck of a lot of work.
I'm referring to the ground clearance of the axle. Obviously the suspension and body lift that come along with putting 33s on give you more clearance of the underside.

Reactions: Chris
You are the second guy to say this. I LOVE the look of your ride on 33s but I am hearing over and over again about how much other stuff is involved with getting 33s to be setup right. I do like the idea of more ground clearance but the reality is you are literally gaining only 1" of ground clearance for a heck of a lot of work.

Yeah, but look how good they look!
20151116_154437.jpg

Go ahead, drink the kool aid brah............DRINK IT!!!

Come on @JMT, your shameless poser pick might send him over the edge, lol!

Reactions: JMT and Chris
View attachment 56728

STOP IT PLEASE STOP!!!!!! I LOVE that look, that's it, that IS the look. Great now I have to be patient and first buy a jeep and then get it to this point.
OK so we have established this is the look I want. This will be a daily driver for me and it will see off roading. Can you please tell me exactly what parts you put on to achieve this? Also I will most likely be doing this to an LJ. any chance you got a pic laying around of an LJ with this setup? To me what you have done is a very classic look on steroids and I dig that. That is one thing I like about the TJ. The LJ has so many things going for it but you lose a bit of that classic look. There are pros and cons each way. I eagerly await your diligent, detailed reply to my question :)

STOP IT PLEASE STOP!!!!!! I LOVE that look, that's it, that IS the look. Great now I have to be patient and first buy a jeep and then get it to this point.
OK so we have established this is the look I want. This will be a daily driver for me and it will see off roading. Can you please tell me exactly what parts you put on to achieve this? Also I will most likely be doing this to an LJ. any chance you got a pic laying around of an LJ with this setup? To me what you have done is a very classic look on steroids and I dig that. That is one thing I like about the TJ. The LJ has so many things going for it but you lose a bit of that classic look. There are pros and cons each way. I eagerly await your diligent, detailed reply to my question :)

So we don't derail @JMT's build thread any further, you can PM me. If you want to see a sharp looking LJ on 33's, check out @tomtaylz 's build thread. He just recently sold his TJ for an LJ for the added cargo space. IMO, a LJ has to have at bare minimum a 3" lift and 33's to look right. 35's and a 4.5" lift is the sweet spot for an LJ.

Glad I'm around for the journey. You are doing some great things with your Jeep. I've been impressed with what you have been able to accomplish. I like how you have a well thought out plan for everything you do. Just with this post you have me rethinking what I want to do with mine. Can't wait to see your rig perform in Oct!

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
I'm referring to the ground clearance of the axle. Obviously the suspension and body lift that come along with putting 33s on give you more clearance of the underside.

Haha... and hear I am with 35s, a tummy tuck, a Savvy mid-arm lift soon to be installed, and well over 20k into my TJ in parts alone :risas3:

Reactions: tomtaylz and JMT
Wait... so the locker you put in, the PowerTrax No Slip, is an automatic locker that you didn't notice in 4H but as you mentioned as soon as you dropped into 4Low you felt the locker kick in. Is that true or did you need to get on it or try to induce slip to get it to engage?
It is invisible in 2WD, when you go to 4H it engages and stays engaged if you shift to 4L. You do NOT need to get on it to induce slip for it to engage

Just to derail the thread a bit more...2" spring, 1.25 body lift, 33's
8ARLy-U6tiaFV7GLXQ8fQsx97YZMWpY68EBxcWqxfZgWoFIl39fzfw41MDBVdwE1ZICnujHDxmWq93E-_h=w1113-h626-no.jpg

View attachment 56728

Everyone on here used to say, stay at 31’s, stay at 31’s. I never bought it, partially because @bobthetj03 said, go wheel in your area and see what kind of rigs are there, see what kind of terrain it is, and build for that. But I was warned, repeatedly, ad naseum, to stick with 31’s. It is easier, it is cheaper, there is no doubt about that, but it is not as fun and it does not look as good as 33’s.
CB6D0B91-698E-4E34-B6A6-3ECB46A5FD76.jpeg

B4C4EC60-6241-4F40-9B0E-5E76A41AB7A0.jpeg

A56DC2E4-70BF-45E3-BE91-8696619A099A.jpeg

C3624211-0E57-43EF-9815-91BB9C70B9DB.jpeg