8.8 Axle Build

That looks really good.
Yah the only thing Id do differently is spend more time lowering the truss. It's made to fit over a Dana 60 so it's eating up a lot of my up travel.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Yah the only thing Id do differently is spend more time lowering the truss. It's made to fit over a Dana 60 so it's eating up a lot of my up travel.

Yeah I was wondering how much up travel you might have. Has long as it is one tire at a time it shouldn't really be a factor.

That's tucked up a bit higher than ride height but it's close. I have about 3" of up travel, give or take. Worked out well when I went up to 37s though. No extra trimming needed. I could probably go even a big bigger but I don't see a need at the moment.

Reactions: Dawghouse
That's tucked up a bit higher than ride height but it's close. I have about 3" of up travel, give or take. Worked out well when I went up to 37s though. No extra trimming needed. I could probably go even a big bigger but I don't see a need at the moment.

I'm running 37's. They are so much better on and off the trials than the 35's were. When others ride in my jeep they just can't get over how smooth of a ride I have. I always tell them it's the long arm kit. I have a buddy that wants me to fab up a 4 link in the rear and a 3 link in the front. We will probably start that in the fall.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
My choice of 37s made them horrible on the road but great on the trail.
81de3ed6f3134d13e789761434f4a1ab.jpg

If you are looking to fab up a long arm have a look at the TMR Customs kits, makes for an easy starting point but still let's you do just about whatever you want. The rear arms on my LJ run basically to the tcase skid for the flattest possible angle.
a152956a9cad380436b88a97419117ac.jpg

Also found some ride height shots.
8c06dfe9350ddba63229b739d01da754.jpg
99a34b532fb12264fb9e3ef4a65ed25f.jpg
6ed55348187b49c831381f32f64c0566.jpg

I ran the Maxxis Big Horn 35x12.50 for a while. Then I went to the Mastercraft Corsairs MXT 37x12.50 17. I really like them on the road and they ae great on the trails. They clean out really well.

Nice looking mount, I plan on it yah. I'll probably go with the aev one as it gives a bit of lift. That will make up for the sag of the rear springs. I'm currently running 2.25" of spacers so I can just drop those off as it's made of 3x 3/4" spacers.

I almost got the AEV ones. But went with the Gen Rights. They are really close and work the same way. Yes it will make up for the sag. I had them on in one afternoon. The only thing I would suggest is when you get the springs out and everything is cut and cleaned off. Before you weld the brackets in. Put a tack weld on the track bar nut in a few places. Then get a shorter bolt for the track bar. The reason being if you move the bracket back to far your spring on the passenger side will squeak constantly with the spring rubbing against the track bar bolt. It will drive you crazy. lol
I installed a set of the same ones not to long ago on a friends jeep. I tack welded the TB nut and got a shorter bolt. No squeak.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
Nice looking mount, I plan on it yah. I'll probably go with the aev one as it gives a bit of lift. That will make up for the sag of the rear springs. I'm currently running 2.25" of spacers so I can just drop those off as it's made of 3x 3/4" spacers.

How do you like your progressive springs?

Lol I don't have a rear TB to cause squeaks, triangulated 4 link ;)

The springs are Metalcloak so they arn't progressive the top is really just a keeper so they don't come loose when you droop out. They are good but the rears really are too soft for an LJ.

Lol I don't have a rear TB to cause squeaks, triangulated 4 link ;)

The springs are Metalcloak so they arn't progressive the top is really just a keeper so they don't come loose when you droop out. They are good but the rears really are too soft for an LJ.

Your right I knew that. Just wasn't thinking lol One of the nice things about the triangulated 4 links. I thought maybe they were by looking at the tops. I prefer linear springs with a stiff spring rate, for wheeling in the areas that we have around here.

These are probably plenty stiff on a TJ, but all that extra ass on an LJ combined with all the crap I carry causes issues. Honestly my goal is to have outboarded ORIs in the rear.

Well our weekend plans got postpone. Which is good for me. I'm going to pull the jeep in the shop tomorrow and remove the axle. Get the 8.8 in for the test fit. If everything goes as I hope they will. I should be done by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. I'm pretty sure I have all of the parts I need.

Sweet, that's more ambiton then I have.

I just want to get it done. It may take me to Friday now to get it done. I installed a steering setup for a friend tonight. Another friend came by and ask if I could rebuild both of his driveshafts. Both also have double cardons. That's a day right there. From breaking them down, to cleaning them, to painting them, and the rebuild. I guess I'll be doing that Sunday. lol

Oh man, I hate double cardin rebuilds. It's bad enough on a 1350, when I went to do a 1310 I ended up handing it to someone else at camp as I couldn't stand it any more.