Ford 8.8 Axle Swap Info / FAQ

I chose the 8.8 because at the time I wanted to upgrade the jeep, the superior s35 kit was no longer available. There is a guy near me that offers the 8.8 swap with front regear for 900. All of the brackets, welding the tubes, etc was included. In hindsight I wish I had spent the coin for new seals as they are now leaking. I have wheeled this setup for 3 years and have had no problems, other than leaks which started year 3. The fat pumpkin has annoyed me at times but for the most part is not an issue. Knowing my rear axle is somewhere between a 44 and a 60 for strength has given me a lot of peace of mind. Parts are cheap and plentiful and you don't need 'special' axle shafts for increased strength. One downside that carries over from a Dana 35 is the c-clips. In the event of an axle break, c clips make it more difficult. Overall I am very happy with the swap.
Does ur e brake work on a very steep hill?

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
With proper adjustment the E-brake will work. I’m not a pro at it but I put new ebrake pads on and adjusted them. Mrblaine and a few others can help with the proper adjustment.
just a FYI , there is a super88 kit from Youkon axle you can add to the Ford 8.8 which has chromolly axles and a c-clip eliminator kit. 👍

Reactions: Wildman
With proper adjustment the E-brake will work. I’m not a pro at it but I put new ebrake pads on and adjusted them. Mrblaine and a few others can help with the proper adjustment.
just a FYI , there is a super88 kit from Youkon axle you can add to the Ford 8.8 which has chromolly axles and a c-clip eliminator kit. 👍
There is an parking brake relocation kit made by black magic brakes the moves the caliper to the front of the axle. The little bracket gives the hand brake lever much more leverage and allows the parking brake to work very well

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
My parking brake doesn't work on a flat road, much less a hill of any kind. I should probably address that. I know I need to shorten the lines as I have the adjustment run all the way in and still can't get the shoes to engage properly.

What's everyone run for a track bar? Bought a iron Rock and it's too thick for what ever swap mount I have in the jeep I just got. It has a track back now with a heim kinda thin brackets.

IMG_20220322_174705447_HDR.jpg

What's everyone run for a track bar? Bought a iron Rock and it's too thick for what ever swap mount I have in the jeep I just got. It has a track back now with a heim kinda thin brackets.

View attachment 331202
It depends on the rig but if it’s for more driving on the road then off I would suggest a rough country track bar. Heim joints are shitty for on road it’s better offroad the rubber boot that rough country comes with is solid I’ve been running it for 3 years since the swap and it doesn’t interfere with anything. But I do want to note idepending on the tank skid plate / lift you have the track bar can rub and crack the tub so just be careful don’t go to hard over those bumps if you do you will have to lift the tub with a type of lift.