8.8 Axle Build

I have done so many of them I stick to my process and they usually go okay. It's the tear down that gets me sometimes. Especially the ones that are dry and rusted up. Once I get them apart I use a ball with emery cloth on it to clean every thing up really good. after that it's all down hill for me. I do prefer for no one in the shop when I'm rebuilding them.

Hmm that's a good idea with the ball and emery cloth. I'll have to find something the right size.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Most of the time in my shop I only have 80 and 120 grit sand paper. ;)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Let the slow axle swap begin.
52692aab66945667de61f3cd3a10fb4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axle test fit went real good.

The axle is all welded up except for the two shock mounts. I decided to wait and weld them once axle is in. I want to cycle the axle one more time before I weld them on.
Still have a lot to do.
Drill and tap the vent
Add the brake lines
Install the brake brackets
Install ring and pinion
Close it up and paint.

dce27dba80825a69dd380fdc90965168.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I’m surprised you didn’t just swap the drums out for rear discs! Working on drums is always a pain in the butt with those springs!

It has rear disc. These are the e-brake drum brakes.

Oh, I gotcha. That makes more sense now. I was wondering why someone would go through that trouble of swapping in an axle and keeping drums.

Even if there isn’t any performance to be gained from rear discs, the ease of doing a brake job in general makes it worth it!

Reactions: Dawghouse
Oh, I gotcha. That makes more sense now. I was wondering why someone would go through that trouble of swapping in an axle and keeping drums.

Even if there isn’t any performance to be gained from rear discs, the ease of doing a brake job in general makes it worth it!

I'm glad it came with disc brakes. But the e-brakes are a pain, I would rather do regular drum brakes... lol

How is this going? Any updates? Just curious, what are you going to use for a rear track bar?

I'm not sure if he is using one at all. Maybe it's 4-link, in which case he wouldn't need one!

How is this going? Any updates? Just curious, what are you going to use for a rear track bar?
I finished the install last week end. I'll update this build post this week. With everything going on I haven't had much time.

I'm using Terra Flex adjustable on both ends track bar. It's a lot easier to set up.

Reactions: ac_