98 TJ bump steer diagnosis

It read like when he picked up his car from alignment they said it’s still not road worthy but we don’t even want to make a suggestion of what to do about it....sounds like they were trying to wipe their hands clean of it to me and didn’t want to mess with it. Which is weird because he said it was a 4x4 shop! Hopefully they will do the right thing and make the adjustments.
you would think that for a $300 long arm alignment they would do a decent job or at least attempt to correct any issues. im just flabbergasted that even still with the issues after the alignment that they are not blowing up my phone trying to sell me the kitchen sink to fix the issue.....

you would think that for a $300 long arm alignment they would do a decent job or at least attempt to correct any issues. im just flabbergasted that even still with the issues after the alignment that they are not blowing up my phone trying to sell me the kitchen sink to fix the issue.....

Well this may or may not be how this shop is....but some specialty shops can be an ass if you don’t use them for everything. Some don’t want to align and fix all your aftermarket parts if they didn’t install them. They don’t like the guys that want to buy all the parts online then DIY install them, then go to the expert to get it all right for $100. But hopefully this shop isn’t like that....but it sure sounds like they were trying to wash their hands of your Jeep.

Still though the problem originated with the shop that changed all the ball joints....to me it seems like they did something wrong. I still don’t really understand how changing your ball joints on fixed length arms messed up your steering unless there is something wrong with that install.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ2CO98tj
happened immediately after replacing ball joints and u joints. never had an issue before. had 2 members of jeep club look at the rig and 1 mester tech and now 4wheel parts

I've seen cases of "memory steer", where damaged parts cause a binding.

Raise front end off the ground and support by the axle. Turn tires by the wheels checking for binding/stiffness.

Improper use of balljoint press, worn parts can cause this.

Might be worth a shot, easy to do.

Reactions: AZ2CO98tj
The below just in from a very well-known Jeep builder/designer who wishes to remain anonymous who noticed this thread and just sent me a private email...

"Looks like you have your hands full with mr ******** ohio patriot. That video he posted has nothing to do with how the TJ ball joints work at all. If the poster has memory steer, they need to check the vertical axis first if all other things are good. I have not seen anyone recommend the steering tests yet to make sure his issue isn’t related to the steering gear. He also need to get his rig to someone who isn’t an idiot. His issue isn’t that hard to diagnose."

Personally, I'm still done here... there's too much bad information being passed out and I'm not wasting any more of my time with him.

Last edited:
so i spoke to 4wheel parts this morning and they are hesitant to adjust the caster to 5.5-6 because he is claiming that it will throw the pinion angle off and cause lots of drive line vibrations. "i will speak to the shop foreman and see what he can do" was the response i got. i even told them that if the caster does not improve the handling then i would be looking for a quote on new ball joints. idk what to do with this shop :shot:

Last edited:
so i spoke to 4wheel parts this morning and they are hesitant to adjust the caster to 5.5-6 because he is claiming that it will throw the pinion angle off and cause lots of drive line vibrations
That is a legitimate concern since increasing the caster angle too much can indeed cause an excessive pinion angle which will cause drivetrain vibrations. Pinion angle definitely and always takes precedence over caster angle.

That is easily handled by simply increasing the caster angle up to the point you get those vibrations and then back the caster angle off just enough to stop the vibrations. This normally gives you sufficient caster angle to restore good steering stability and return-to-center. 4WP should have known to do that which is the time-honored way of successfully handling that issue.

4WP may balk at that suggestion or complain about the extra time it takes but that's only because they are production shops and aren't up for spending more than the absolute minimum amount of time required to get the Jeep off the rack to start on the next job.

Last edited:
Looks like you have your hands full with mr ******** ohio patriot.
:risas3:

very well-known Jeep builder/designer who wishes to remain anonymous w
I bet he does.
:risas3:

Tell him to put on his big boy pants and defend your honor. I've been down this road with him before, maybe i'll be wrong this time. I'm ok with that.

That video he posted has nothing to do with how the TJ ball joints work at all.

???? Maybe you should not blindly take what he says as gospel and ask how that's not related to TJ balljoints. TJs special somehow?

they need to check the vertical axis first i

As long as your asking questions, how would this get off? According to you, you have to rotate the whole C on the axle to make change. Can't bend/tweak nothing you say.

Inquiring minds want to know.

there's too much bad information being passed out

:nusenuse: like what. You've proved nothing. I'm seeing a pattern, drop comment, run.

Because you said so doesn't cut it.

You can fool all the people some of the time...........

You and Mr Anonymous are cut from the same cloth. Your egos get threatened easily. Your self worth shouldn't come from forums, I see you all over multiple ones, you must spend hours a day. Get out and Enjoy real life.

got the jeep back from 4wheel parts. they went back and reset the caster for me but in doing so there is major drive line chatter. return to center and bump steer has improved slightly but is still very apparent and difficult to drive confidently on the road. any suggestions?

1.jpg