A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

OP
Irun

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
OP
Irun

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
While I'm waiting on parts for the LJ, I'll clean this up and paint it!

20220716_143458.jpg

OP
Irun

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
Yesterday, when cleaning up the brakes from the last wheeling trip, I discovered some excessive movement in the front left tire. The spindle nut on the small hub kit had backed itself out slightly. Fortunately, this is an easy fix. All better now!

20220805_191721.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj

starkey480

Tuned springs club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Yesterday, when cleaning up the brakes from the last wheeling trip, I discovered some excessive movement in the front left tire. The spindle nut on the small hub kit had backed itself out slightly. Fortunately, this is an easy fix. All better now!

View attachment 348703

When you say excess movement, do you mean you had runout or your hubs wiggled?

Reactions: Irun

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member

View attachment 348703

If it wasn't obvious, it is rare that the other side will ever back off. The left side backs off due to the direction the tire turns which is usually the same way that backs off the spindle nuts. The other side would just get tighter and eventually smoke the wheel bearings.

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Assuming those hub nuts don't have a lock washer you fold over that nut then?

No, they have a thick inner spindle nut with a small pin that sticks outward. That gets torqued to less than 5 ft lbs. The washer with holes in it and a tang for the slot in the spindle threads goes on to line up with one of the holes on the pin. Then the thinner outer spindle nut goes on and gets torqued to 140ish.

Last edited:
OP
Irun

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
If it wasn't obvious, it is rare that the other side will ever back off. The left side backs off due to the direction the tire turns which is usually the same way that backs off the spindle nuts. The other side would just get tighter and eventually smoke the wheel bearings.

I didn't check the other one, because there was no movement. This is good reason to go in and verify it's not overly tight. Thanks for the tip! (y)

Reactions: Wildman
OP
Irun

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
When you say excess movement, do you mean you had runout or your hubs wiggled?

With the front end on jack stands I could grab the tire, rock it front to back and feel movement. It was ever so slight, but it was noticeable. After every wheeling trip I disassemble and clean the brakes, then check the hubs for any movement. It's a pain to go through this routine, but I'm glad I do!

Longwhitejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
No, they have a thick inner spindle nut with a small pin that sticks outward. That gets torqued to less than 5 ft lbs. The washer with holes in it and a tang for the slot in the spindle threads goes on to line up with one of the holes on the pin. Then the thinner outer spindle nut goes on and gets torqued to 140ish.

Thanks for the details. I wasn't sure what they used. I wondered if they used anything given the problem @Irun and you mentioned they can back off.

I just knew it was common on old hubs to see those fold over washers.