A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

I took the easy way out on mounting the GMRS radio. Drilled holes in the Tuffy console, installed nutserts, attached radio bracket and radio. Wiring still needs tidying up, but the radio is in.

20210912_125014.jpg

I took the easy way out on mounting the GMRS radio. Drilled holes in the Tuffy console, installed nutserts, attached radio bracket and radio. Wiring still needs tidying up, but the radio is in.

View attachment 276488
I took an even easier route, HD Velcro to the side of my console. Removable for when not on the trails.

Just painted my sliders to body match after running them raw for a couple months. Decided to paint after repairing some body damage and painting the tub. Totally agree, wait until after you get your other parts.

View attachment 276557
This just reminds me I need to order paint. I've painted aluminum before, but am curious what you did for paint prep?

Reactions: Wildman
This just reminds me I need to order paint. I've painted aluminum before, but am curious what you did for paint prep?
Media blasted base aluminum, 80 grit with the dual action sander followed by SPI waterborne grease and wax remover and 3 coats of SPI Epoxy. Could add some high build primer after the epoxy for any deep scratches you would want to fill in as well.

Reactions: Irun
I bought a low miles alternator from a forum member that is now making unhappy noises. Given the Mopar alternator shows discontinued, anyone have a quality replacement option? Looking at RockAuto, they show a new TYC 117 amp alternator. Doing a little research, these appear to be made in Taiwan. What caught my attention here was the description:

Features & Benefits:
  • New, high quality bearings are used for a long service life. Bearings are resistant to high temperature and high RPMs.
  • Durability-tested carbon brushes
  • New, high quality copper wires are used on both stator and rotor to ensure performance and durability.
  • High temperature soldered connection with silicone coating for waterproof protection
  • Premium quality regulators and rectifiers (manufactured in Japan/USA), and diodes are 100% performance tested
  • Each unit ships with test report inside box (parts are checked against original unit for compatibility in vehicle)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...MkiTqVUd1d7AdqouzUflOgxbxIirWR0clWOCPZt5DBg==

I bought a low miles alternator from a forum member that is now making unhappy noises. Given the Mopar alternator shows discontinued, anyone have a quality replacement option? Looking at RockAuto, they show a new TYC 117 amp alternator. Doing a little research, these appear to be made in Taiwan. What caught my attention here was the description:

Features & Benefits:
  • New, high quality bearings are used for a long service life. Bearings are resistant to high temperature and high RPMs.
  • New, high quality copper wires are used on both stator and rotor to ensure performance and durability.
  • High temperature soldered connection with silicone coating for waterproof protection
  • Premium quality regulators and rectifiers (manufactured in Japan/USA), and diodes are 100% performance tested
  • Each unit ships with test report inside box (parts are checked against original unit for compatibility in vehicle)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...MkiTqVUd1d7AdqouzUflOgxbxIirWR0clWOCPZt5DBg==
Is there a local automotive electrical shop who can rebuild the OEM alternator? When I was in high school, I worked for one of those shops. They replaced bearings, brushes, armature if required, etc.

Is there a local automotive electrical shop who can rebuild the OEM alternator? When I was in high school, I worked for one of those shops. They replaced bearings, brushes, armature if required, etc.
In my area, these have disappeared, just like radiator shops!

In my area, these have disappeared, just like radiator shops!
Sorry to hear that; I believe we still have a couple of them kicking around the Denver area. I guess I'll just hope they're still there when it's time to rebuild mine. Or maybe I'll buy a worn out OEM and have it rebuilt and put it on the shelf...

Features & Benefits:

Wasn't there a list of alternators from other vehicles that would fit the TJ? And that also got you a boost in amp output and such? I'll see if I can't find it.

After all the good natured fun you all were having with me as I was reading your thread title I thought to myself that I should have asked you for assistance so put my TJ on WW.....

It's a shame most places that use to rebuild or repair have gone by the wayside. We've become a throw away society.

• Haha
I went with Remy 94116. It was in list recommended here on forum. Here is the thread discussing this and fact that need to swap pulley from TJ alternator to Remy when install. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...your-jeep-wrangler-tj.3979/page-6#post-827158

Also see that K Suspensions is selling an alternator to pair with their cable kit. Don’t know anything about this specific item but service I’ve received from them has been great.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p118/TJ/LJ_Alternator_Upgrade_-_NEW!.html#/

Edited to include link to Remy discussion.

Last edited:
I went with Remy 94116. It was in list recommended here on forum. Here is the thread discussing this and fact that need to swap pulley from TJ alternator to Remy when install. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...your-jeep-wrangler-tj.3979/page-6#post-827158

Also see that K Suspensions is selling an alternator to pair with their cable kit. Don’t know anything about this specific item but service I’ve received from them has been great.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p118/TJ/LJ_Alternator_Upgrade_-_NEW!.html#/

Edited to include link to Remy discussion.
I went with a Remy as well. Not sure if it was the one linked above by @sourbluff

I was following the Durango alternator swap stuff when i did it.
I'll be ordering both the alternator and cable kit, thanks for helping me spend more money! ;)